Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Most dissapointing prospects

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Sims as a reliever is not a bad thing. he could notch out a very nice career that way. Not saying move him now.. but I like it as a fall back.
    Andrew Miller was drafted 6th overall and was supposed to be a stud. Struggled with control for years as a starter. Now he's extremely valuable as a reliever.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yeezus For This Useful Post:

bravesfanMatt (08-25-2016), UNCBlue012 (08-26-2016)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Blair has got to be the guy. Some ppl thought he'd be close to Miller's last year. His velocity was clearly down in MLB.

Not sure if Wisler still counts but him too.

Coppy said as much. We got guys like Blair, Wisler, and Jenkins clearly thinking they were 3 guys and maybe one would be a low end 2. Now they all look like 5 or AAAA guys.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Now they all look like 5 or AAAA guys.
    Save for Jenkins, that's far too extreme for me. Blair wouldn't be the first SP to struggle a lot when first called up.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    Andy Marte.

Saw the Mets and D-Wright and thought we're gonna have the two best 3B in baseball dueling it out for the next decade.

When he came up he looked terrible.

It worked out because Chipper ended up being solid for the next 7 years, but man I think we all thought Andruw 2005 would stay like with us for another few years and that Marte was going to be a middle of the order elite 3B.

Edit: Just realized you said this year and not all time.
    Even though it's not all time, that still gave me a wistful feeling of nostalgia from the Scout board days. I gave first impression, and felt that fitness might be an issue with the guy, while still hopeful that he could really turn into something. Another poster, sorry forgot the name, noticed a hole in his swing. This was during the high holy days of the "stathead vs. scouthead" meme that was being promoted heavily at the site. Nevertheless, everybody still held hight hopes.

Marte's ultimate fizzling did have some comedic value though. Somebody had posted "a decade of Gold Gloves with Mike Schmidt power." I didn't even remember who said it, but the next day, a certain someone expressed outrage. Then, it was like, "uhh huh..."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,290 Posts
    For me it has to be Braxton. I hoped that he would breakout and have a season similar to what Petey is having at AA. Alas, it looks like his star has faded considerably.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    Garbage. They're all garbage. This rebuild is a total bust. The only guy that's worth a damn is Allard.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,734 Posts
    Wentz - he gave up a run.....
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    John Coppollela - hasn't developed like I would have hoped. Way too inconsistent. Looks brilliant with one opportunity then completely outmatched on the next, or next several. Quick to lay blame instead of shoulder it. Appears to lack polish in his overall game. Needs to learn to keep it in the clubhouse, reign in his emotions and not embarrass subordinates and co-workers in public. Lacks maturity at times. Communication skills with the press appear to be sub-par. Draws a lot of free passes.

Still have hopes but inconsistency keeps him far away from an All-Star team.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    1- Braxton Davidson- I was hoping he'd break out this year but instead went in the other direction. Reminiscent of Cody Johnson.

2- Greg Bird- I was hoping he'd capitalize on his arm, maybe move to the pen, and look like an option as a reliever for next season. He's completely collapsed.

3- Andrew Thurman- Just never got over the bus crash.

I wouldn't include Sims as a disappointment. He's still showing incredible stuff and racking up the K's. He's just not taken the step forward everyone wanted. A lot of other guys have taken steps back.
    This would be my list, but I would add Ryan Clark, who was 6-1 for Danville last year but 1-13 for Carolina in 2016.

No way Riley is a bust; he's hit 35 doubles (second in the league) to go with 17 homers and two triples: 54 XBH in his first full pro season.

FYI: checking other SAL stats, I notice that Anfernee Seymour is second in stolen bases with 40 and Dylan Moore had 37 (tie for third) before he went to the Cal League; Didder was one behind that with 36.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Honestly, Swanson was a bit disappointing after the AA promotion.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    For me it has to be Braxton. I hoped that he would breakout and have a season similar to what Petey is having at AA. Alas, it looks like his star has faded considerably.
    Well, he's still got time to get to where Peterson is this year.

Hysterical Girlfriend
    That Storms Out and
    Returns the Next Day
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    452 Posts
    Brad Kominsk.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy View Post
    Brad Kominsk.
    Would be one of the tops on my list along with Andy Marte, for sure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Millwood1Hitter View Post
    Garbage. They're all garbage. This rebuild is a total bust. The only guy that's worth a damn is Allard.
    Classic Milly! All but Allard and the remaining six prospects in the top 100!

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    ba had ho at 55 in their pre-season list
    A classic example of how well HYPE works in today's game (in all sports, for that matter). How HO ever got as far as he did is beyond my comprehension. This is IMO how Braxton became a first rounder without merit. I happen to know him well as I coached travel teams and high school against him. His senior year in high school he had 12 XBH for the year with only 4 HR (one of those against my son!), but was lauded as a power hitter. I love Braxton and think he is a super kid, so I am pulling for him to work it all out and succeed, but I feel like he has been way over-hyped as a prospect. His father is a master networker and most likely had a tremendous role in building the hype for Braxton beginning at a very young age. He has a solid, mature demeanor and a quiet confidence that will help him persist and overcome, but he has a long way to go to live up to his billing. Honestly, I wish the Braves would send him back to Rome and start working with him as a pitcher - he would probably be a stronger prospect as a LH pitcher in our system (I always thought he was a better pitcher than hitter).