Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Tebow!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    That means absolutely nothing on so many different levels. Competition? Number of At bats? What were there body types in high school vs. now?

I can't find anyone that says anything about his baseball stats, just that he was a highly thought of high school baseball player that threw 45 consecutive scoreless innings and was looked at by different colleges.
    The more I think about Jordan's .250, I realize I could be off. Can't find anything either, but pretty sure I heard that number on his 30 for 30. Tebow's number is correct. He played at nease HS in Florida (7A).

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...angeles-angels

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Here's more of the angel's almost drafting tebow...

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles...s-urban-meyer#

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Here's more of the angel's almost drafting tebow...

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles...s-urban-meyer#
    I don't think what the guy did over a decade ago matters in the least. If we put him in AA he will K at like a 60% clip. It will be embarrassing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Put him up against a bunch of kids who are hungry and waiting for calls to the big leagues and he's gonna look terrible.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    Put him up against a bunch of kids who are hungry and waiting for calls to the big leagues and he's gonna look terrible.

Wait, are you saying baby Harang will be in AA next season?

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    487 Posts
    I don't think what the guy did over a decade ago matters in the least. If we put him in AA he will K at like a 60% clip. It will be embarrassing.
    Should that happen....not saying it won't, it would make the decision on what to do with him very easy. If signed, he will be a fast mover. Either up or out. (JMHO)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    I was too young to know what everyone thought but that was pretty dumb, yeah.
    How? What did it negatively affect? It did, however, make the Barons a crap ton of money.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    Michael Jordan had the type of body that could at least play baseball. Tim Tebow looks like a linebacker and swings like one too. He can't throw. His swing is so muscle bound that it has one plane. There is less than 1% chance he would ever make it to the majors and there is a damn good chance Tebow would make Jordan look like a hall of famer. The team doesn't think we are stupid enough to believe its for "baseball reasons," right?
    No one believes it's for baseball reasons...just as Jordan wasn't.

I don't care about Jordan's body type. He also had less than a 1% chance to ever make the majors.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    How? What did it negatively affect? It did, however, make the Barons a crap ton of money.
    Well first, I think the Jordan thing and the Tebow thing are pretty different. I think they'll bring similar media attention, but not necessarily the same amount of money. Jordan was Jordan. International star, best player in the world. Sure, Tebow will put more butts in the seats, but I think it's more fodder for ESPN than it is a decent revenue stream for the Braves. I just think it's lame to give Tebow the attention he's craving and to try to drum up interest in your team via this route. And if they seriously plan on starting him at AA, he will be taking away ABs from a guy who deserves them much, much more. That will be the piss icing on the **** cake.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Well first, I think the Jordan thing and the Tebow thing are pretty different. I think they'll bring similar media attention, but not necessarily the same amount of money. Jordan was Jordan. International star, best player in the world. Sure, Tebow will put more butts in the seats, but I think it's more fodder for ESPN than it is a decent revenue stream for the Braves. I just think it's lame to give Tebow the attention he's craving and to try to drum up interest in your team via this route. And if they seriously plan on starting him at AA, he will be taking away ABs from a guy who deserves them much, much more. That will be the piss icing on the **** cake.
    First, let's at least see what happens before we jump to conclusions and go ahead and get pissed about them.

Second, obviously Jordan was bigger than Tebow. But the rationale from a business side is fairly similar. I'm sure our minor-league GMs are pleased at the idea of Tebow hanging around for a year or two.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    First, let's at least see what happens before we jump to conclusions and go ahead and get pissed about them.

Second, obviously Jordan was bigger than Tebow. But the rationale from a business side is fairly similar. I'm sure our minor-league GMs are pleased at the idea of Tebow hanging around for a year or two.
    And your minor leaguers in AA who have been scraping for ABs for years? If he's handed a starting job at AA, it solidifies what we already know: this is all about grabbing headlines and I find that pretty pathetic. At least with other mistakes the FO has made, it's been about baseball. This is pretty dumb. If signed, how long do you let him go while striking out every other at-bat?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    You know what makes money for the team? Winning. You know what won't help that in the least (and, if true that he'd be handed a starting job in AA based on nothing, could hurt)? This. Seriously, how much money do you think you're going to make? I resent the fact that he's doing this solely to gain attention, and I'm sure players who have been clawing in the minors won't be too thrilled either.

Hysterical Girlfriend
    That Storms Out and
    Returns the Next Day
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    You know what makes money for the team? Winning. You know what won't help that in the least (and, if true that he'd be handed a starting job in AA based on nothing, could hurt)? This. Seriously, how much money do you think you're going to make? I resent the fact that he's doing this solely to gain attention, and I'm sure players who have been clawing in the minors won't be too thrilled either.
    How do you know his sole purpose is for attention?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    60%+ of the AA team probably won't help the org win. It is not hard to find guys that are just minor league filler in pretty much every level. I think you are getting a little too worked up over this.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    No one believes it's for baseball reasons...just as Jordan wasn't.

I don't care about Jordan's body type. He also had less than a 1% chance to ever make the majors.
    But one stupid move doesn't justify another stupid move.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    So the plan is for him to sit on the bench in the lower-levels of our minors? When will he get ABs? Only in garbage time?
    Come on man... we don't exactly have great OF prospects outside of Acuna in the lower minors.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    The Bowman article says he would begin as the starting RF in AA. By definition that is taking away bats from prospects.
    Not legit prospects with high ceilings... come on.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    It's all Bread and Circuses for the masses.

We lost 100 games last year....but Tebow! Look it's a Tebow! By all that is holy and the strength of ALL failed left handed QB's, HE WILL LEAD US TO VICTORY! THIS IS GWINNETT!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    And your minor leaguers in AA who have been scraping for ABs for years? If he's handed a starting job at AA, it solidifies what we already know: this is all about grabbing headlines and I find that pretty pathetic. At least with other mistakes the FO has made, it's been about baseball. This is pretty dumb. If signed, how long do you let him go while striking out every other at-bat?
    Again, let's see what happens before we jump to conclusions. You don't know any of that would happen.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    But one stupid move doesn't justify another stupid move.
    No, it doesn't. If you believe adding Jordan was a stupid move, you should absolutely believe the same about adding Tebow.

I don't think adding Jordan was a stupid move. I think at worst, it was inconsequential.