Page 28 of 45 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter Meetings Thread

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    To put into perspective.....I think this officially eliminates the Braves from trading for an ace this season....If Sale was able to fetch that return, Archer can/should cost more due to age and control.....Don't seem to be that high on Gray

Time to focus on upgrading a few areas of need for us this offseason and move on....
    Get off my lawn!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    In terms of purchasing power it is. The A's aren't given a discount on the FA market because of their small payroll.
    trade market =/= free agency market which is what I'm referring to.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,289 Posts
    This is where team specific situations come into play. A team looking to win now would trade a cheap and good for the future player for a stud player who only has a couple of years left.
    If you want, I could make the example more extreme (Folty and Wisler for Harper!), but I think you understand the point.

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    According to this list, prospects acquired are No. 1, 5, 8 and 28 in Red Sox system: http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2016?list=bos

For a guy like Sale or Archer, i think thats about the expected return. Would you deal Albies, Newcombe, Soroka, D. Cruz for Archer?... i'd consider that...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Now that the price is set, wonder if Washington goes after Archer or the like ? Tampa has got to like the return.
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnedstang View Post
    According to this list, prospects acquired are No. 1, 5, 8 and 28 in Red Sox system: http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2016?list=bos

For a guy like Sale or Archer, i think thats about the expected return. Would you deal Albies, Newcombe, Soroka, D. Cruz for Archer?... i'd consider that...
    Albies and Moncada are in no way even close to comparable. The equivalent package from the Braves starts with Swanson. No Swanson, no deal. Which is why the Braves smartly declined.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Quick guess at equivalent package . . .

Swanson, Newcomb, Acuna, Minter

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    If you want, I could make the example more extreme (Folty and Wisler for Harper!), but I think you understand the point.
    Wisler will be out of baseball or turned reliever by the time he hits arbitration. Folty however does have a lot of value and would be a good starting point for a Harper trade depending on where that team would be in their rebuilding timeline. More likely though a team with Harper with 2 years left and looking to rebuild would want a high end prospect instead of a starter already establishing himself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    The dodgers are now looking at Frazier as well... would be a great time to jump on Turner

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post

I don't think that's terrible far off, but I think it would require more on our end. It's possible the White Sox would value Kopech more than Newcomb.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,289 Posts
    Wisler will be out of baseball or turned reliever by the time he hits arbitration. Folty however does have a lot of value and would be a good starting point for a Harper trade depending on where that team would be in their rebuilding timeline. More likely though a team with Harper with 2 years left and looking to rebuild would want a high end prospect instead of a starter already establishing himself.
    You're arguing for a non-linear component of $/WAR without acknowledging.

That's my point. Nothing more, nothing less.

As for this trade, the Braves equivalent is Swanson, Allard, Demeritte, and Minter (and that's not properly accounting for the premium on ceiling that Moncada offers over Swanson).

Very glad the Braves didn't get too far along in that song and dance

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts

That's not a bad guess. That package of ours would be a lot better overall package though.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I don't think that's terrible far off, but I think it would require more on our end. It's possible the White Sox would value Kopech more than Newcomb.
    Acuna is quite clearly a cut above Basabe, which supercedes the difference between Kopech and Newcomb, IMO. Splitting hairs at the end of the day

Pretty clear we could have made this trade and its also clear we were never really in the conversation.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts

Moncada is a much better package than Swanson and Koepetch is more valuable than Newcomb.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Acuna is quite clearly a cut above Basabe, which supercedes the difference between Kopech and Newcomb, IMO. Splitting hairs at the end of the day

Pretty clear we could have made this trade and its also clear we were never really in the conversation.
    But, Moncada is significantly better than anyone in that package.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    To put into perspective.....I think this officially eliminates the Braves from trading for an ace this season....If Sale was able to fetch that return, Archer can/should cost more due to age and control.....Don't seem to be that high on Gray

Time to focus on upgrading a few areas of need for us this offseason and move on....
    To put into perspective...the Braves were always eliminated from trading for an Ace this offseason.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts

This deal was about one player, Moncada. Everything else is details compared to him. Not even Swanson can compete with a package headlined by Moncada.

It was clear from the start that as soon as Boston agreed to include Moncada in any deal, they win. Period.

It was also clear from the start the Braves were never really in the conversation. Folks were saying it from the start, but you guys insisted on believing what you wanted to believe.

It is literally the same thing happening every single offseason, just with a different player. Last year it was Greinke. Before that Price. Before that Holliday. Every year you guys insist on fantasizing about a player the Braves have 0% chance of acquiring. Every year the knowledgeable posters state over and over it isn't going to happen. Every year you guys get angry at the "know it alls" for saying it isn't going to happen. And every single year it ends up the same result. I'm sure we will repeat the same exercise when Darvish hits the FA market. Then we will repeat it again when Machado is a FA. And on and on, with none of you ever learning.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 12-06-2016 at 02:26 PM.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts

I think that is a better overall package, but if i'm the Red Sox I'm taking Moncada every time. Moncada is a bfd and much more of a sure thing than our guys. I think Swanson will be solid but I'm not thinking star.

The Braves have a lot of high ceiling guys like Acuna, but they are all so far away and that makes them volatile. I'd want Moncada who probably can play this year if they want him to. The rest of the package is not that important. I would have thought they would have held out for Groome over Kopech.

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,800 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    Congratulations to the Washington Nationals on winning another offseason championship
    And the Gnats lose that title as well
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Acuna is quite clearly a cut above Basabe, which supercedes the difference between Kopech and Newcomb, IMO. Splitting hairs at the end of the day.
    But not the difference between Moncada and Swanson, which I figured was a given.