Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's your Top 20?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    This is about where I am at as well. I'm hard pressed to see Jackson in our Top 20 and I'm not as high on Demeritte as a lot of folks. I know nsacpi has a man-crush on Yepez and I'll admit to being curious about how he will do. I wonder if he starts the season in Rome again. I think all of our three top picks from 2016 should be in the Top 20, with Anderson certainly in the Top 10 and Wentz on the cusp of that. Like Preacher, I am leery of placing any of the recent Latin American signees very high. I think Maitan is in the Top 10, but probably after guys who have played for a couple of seasons.
    I basically side with you and Preacher on this as well. Maitan would be around 10 until he swings the bat.. his first hit I probably move him up two spots automatically, because I am ready for his hype. I love Minter and his upside and don't exclude the possibility of starts down the road..Also would have Jackson out of the top 20 and on a 'bubble' list. Travis, I like and would probably have him around Riley in that 13-17 range. He is just that athletic.

Speaking of bubble list, man that would be a long list for me. Guys like Moore, Harington, Wilson, Davidson, Jackson, Didder, Yepez, Cruz (if he didn't make it in my 20), Cumberland, Serevino, Walker, Gutierrez... all these guys and probably a few more I am forgetting are primed to make a big jump in my rankings if they start off blazing.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    So the main discrepancies so far seem to be...

How high should Wentz and Muller be on the list?
    Does Alex Jackson even crack the top 20?
    How high should Minter be?
    Does Maitan need to be so high?

I like Wentz and Muller more than most. When you look around at big lefites who can dominate they're usually playing in the playoffs. That's a good sign of value to me.
    I'm very hopeful for Ajax. I know many are not. I can understand that.
    I really like Minter, but I look at relievers like running backs. If you get 3 good years you should be happy and move on. They'll either break down or you'll have a cheaper substitute on your roster.
    Maitan is high for me. He's young and unproven, but he's also harder to replace with his potential value.

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    In general I would not put a new international signing like Maitan and Severino in a Top 20 list. For the obvious reasons. I make an exception for Maitan (a bit reluctantly) because of the many indications from industry insiders that he may be a special talent.
    In comparison to other Braves that came through the system who does he reminds you of, hitting wise?

Chipper
    AJ
    Giles
    Heyward
    Klesko
    Freeman
    Furcal
    Lopez
    Justice
    Gant

If he hits like any above that is a plus for us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Chipper is the comp that gets made. But that to me does not really shed much light on his value.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Yeah, based just on scouting reports, Chipper is probably the best comp. But he could end up with even more power potential.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Here's some of the interesting Q&A from the Braves' chat on Baseball America.

You can read the whole chat here:
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/minor...8xe9VvpCyAM.97

Q): It seems like the biggest question about Dustin Peterson is how much power he'll have. What's your projection? Enough to stick in a corner outfield spot?
    Bill Ballew: If I had to guess I think he will hit for enough power to be a solid offensive left fielder. He has shown flashes of plus power in the recent past and started to display that in games last year. After all the change he has gone through in his career, I believe he started to form a foundation last year at Mississippi that will allow him to make the final two steps to the big leagues.

Q): I assume Touki came just short of making this list? What did you think of his year as a whole?
    Bill Ballew: You are correct, he missed it by that much. But Touki made some impressive strides this year. The dude had a hard time throwing the ball anywhere close to the plate at times at the beginning of the year and by the end of the season he was looking like the guy the D’backs drafted out of high school. The Braves broke down his mechanics and he went back to doing some of the things he did as an amateur. The combination and tweaking started to show results. Everything is there and he could take off next year.

Q): Who do you think will be the fastest riser to next year?
    Bill Ballew: Touki Toussaint could be that guy if he continues to make the progress he showed at Rome. Acuna could take off into that stratosphere of prospects if he stays healthy. I’d also keep a close eye on Cristian Pache, who turned 18 in November.

Q): Would it be safe to assume that Austin Riley is the Braves' number 11 prospect? I saw him during the Sally League playoffs and his raw power was off the charts. Is he trade bait, or do the Braves view him as the third baseman of the future? Thanks as always for the chat!
    Bill Ballew: That’s a very safe bet. Truth be told, some of us (ie, me) like him higher than 11, but there are multiple voices that contribute to the ranking. Then again, look at the depth of the top 30 and it is crazy deep. Still, Riley had a great second half after a little bit of a slow start and his power potential is off the charts. He has a canon at third and he made some progress with his footwork, but some scouts really see him as a first baseman. But he who hits, plays, and Riley projects to hit big-time.

Q): Are there any top-30 type catchers in the Braves system at this point? If not, which one are you the most optimistic about?
    Bill Ballew: The Braves have quite a few catchers with promise, including Scivique, Lucas Herbert, Tanner Murphy and Brett Cumberland. I’m most optimistic about Herbert because of his stellar defensive skills and potential to hit for a decent average. Murphy has not hit at all, and Cumberland may not remain behind the plate. So I’d say Herbert and Scivique have the highest upside.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Another about one of my favorite prospects:

Bob (Carolina): Max Fried ended the year on an absolute tear - obviously plenty of risk remains, but is his upside still intact after a successful return from injury?
    Bill Ballew: No doubt. In many organizations he would be a top three guy. As you mentioned, in the second half last year he showed all projections from earlier in his career are legit. Great size, great tenacity, great stuff. You could argue that he belongs higher on this list.
    Read more at http://www.baseballamerica.com/minor...pLWTfI49HJI.99

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    I tend to value guys based on their ceiling more than their most likely outcome or floor. That's why I am higher than some on Maitan and Minter, while being lower than most on guys like Ruiz and DPete.

It may seem like I just contradicted myself there because I also love Minter, but with the insane trade returns we are seeing for impact BP arms, Minter could end up being extremely valuable.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (12-13-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I tend to value guys based on their ceiling more than their most likely outcome or floor. That's why I am higher than some on Maitan and Minter, while being lower than most on guys like Ruiz and DPete.

It may seem like I just contradicted myself there because I also love Minter, but with the insane trade returns we are seeing for impact BP arms, Minter could end up being extremely valuable.
    I generally do as well. But I'm probably higher on Peterson than you are because I believe his ceiling is a productive major league regular. I'm not sure the same is true for Ruiz.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I generally do as well. But I'm probably higher on Peterson than you are because I believe his ceiling is a productive major league regular. I'm not sure the same is true for Ruiz.
    I agree with this. I'm not high on Ruiz and although I'm not as high as most on Dpete I do think he could develop some pop and prove to be a big league regular.

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    I agree with this. I'm not high on Ruiz and although I'm not as high as most on Dpete I do think he could develop some pop and prove to be a big league regular.
    Yeah, I should drop Ruiz on mine. I didn't realize how mediocre his second half was.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    The most interesting two things from that Ballew chat, to me:

1. He thinks Anderson has the highest ceiling of all our pitching prospects.
    2. He thinks Maitan may start in Rome.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    The most interesting two things from that Ballew chat, to me:

1. He thinks Anderson has the highest ceiling of all our pitching prospects.
    2. He thinks Maitan may start in Rome.
    I saw that too... No way does Maitan start in Rome IMO. Not to start.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    No way KM starts in Rome. I thought he could possibly start in Danville, but not Rome.

Miguel Sano was the last can't miss teenager I remember and he spent a year and a half in rookie ball.
    Last edited by Chico; 12-13-2016 at 02:46 PM.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    I saw that too... No way does Maitan start in Rome IMO. Not to start.
    Totally agree.

If he's really impressive, maybe they start him in Danville but even that feels unnecessary to me. I know Vlad Guerrero Jr did that last year. It just feels unnecessary. Start him in the GCL, move him to Danville if the competition is too low, and then start him in Rome in 2018. No need to rush him at all.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Yeah, I agree that he won't, and shouldn't, start in Rome. I think he'll start in the GCL with about a 25% chance of starting in Danville.

That said, can you imagine if he started in Rome and hit well? He would instantly vault up to near the very top of baseball as a prospect.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Here's some of the interesting Q&A from the Braves' chat on Baseball America.

You can read the whole chat here:
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/minor...8xe9VvpCyAM.97

Q): It seems like the biggest question about Dustin Peterson is how much power he'll have. What's your projection? Enough to stick in a corner outfield spot?
    Bill Ballew: If I had to guess I think he will hit for enough power to be a solid offensive left fielder. He has shown flashes of plus power in the recent past and started to display that in games last year. After all the change he has gone through in his career, I believe he started to form a foundation last year at Mississippi that will allow him to make the final two steps to the big leagues.

Q): I assume Touki came just short of making this list? What did you think of his year as a whole?
    Bill Ballew: You are correct, he missed it by that much. But Touki made some impressive strides this year. The dude had a hard time throwing the ball anywhere close to the plate at times at the beginning of the year and by the end of the season he was looking like the guy the D’backs drafted out of high school. The Braves broke down his mechanics and he went back to doing some of the things he did as an amateur. The combination and tweaking started to show results. Everything is there and he could take off next year.

Q): Who do you think will be the fastest riser to next year?
    Bill Ballew: Touki Toussaint could be that guy if he continues to make the progress he showed at Rome. Acuna could take off into that stratosphere of prospects if he stays healthy. I’d also keep a close eye on Cristian Pache, who turned 18 in November.

Q): Would it be safe to assume that Austin Riley is the Braves' number 11 prospect? I saw him during the Sally League playoffs and his raw power was off the charts. Is he trade bait, or do the Braves view him as the third baseman of the future? Thanks as always for the chat!
    Bill Ballew: That’s a very safe bet. Truth be told, some of us (ie, me) like him higher than 11, but there are multiple voices that contribute to the ranking. Then again, look at the depth of the top 30 and it is crazy deep. Still, Riley had a great second half after a little bit of a slow start and his power potential is off the charts. He has a canon at third and he made some progress with his footwork, but some scouts really see him as a first baseman. But he who hits, plays, and Riley projects to hit big-time.

Q): Are there any top-30 type catchers in the Braves system at this point? If not, which one are you the most optimistic about?
    Bill Ballew: The Braves have quite a few catchers with promise, including Scivique, Lucas Herbert, Tanner Murphy and Brett Cumberland. I’m most optimistic about Herbert because of his stellar defensive skills and potential to hit for a decent average. Murphy has not hit at all, and Cumberland may not remain behind the plate. So I’d say Herbert and Scivique have the highest upside

This brings up a good question. Jonathan Morales and Lucas Hebert should both probably repeat at Rome. You could make a case for Morales going to Florida. Cumberland even though he did not do well in Danville should probably get the promotion to Rome. We're now talking about moving Ajax to Catcher in Florida. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. You could move Morales up to Florida to split with Ajax, but both should be getting the lion's share of AB's.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    This brings up a good question. Jonathan Morales and Lucas Hebert should both probably repeat at Rome. You could make a case for Morales going to Florida. Cumberland even though he did not do well in Danville should probably get the promotion to Rome. We're now talking about moving Ajax to Catcher in Florida. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. You could move Morales up to Florida to split with Ajax, but both should be getting the lion's share of AB's.
    I think Morales goes to Florida. He'll be 22 on opening day and closed strong at Rome.

The only one of the four you mentioned that feels guaranteed is Herbert at Rome. I bet it's Herbert and Cumberland at Rome, then Morales and Jackson, if they elect to try him at catcher, in Florida.

Split at bats the way Herbert and Morales did to start the year at Rome last season where one catches and one DHs.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    I honestly think Jackson, if he actually elects to return to catcher (there seems to be some doubt), will start the year in extended working with veterans (David Ross?) to relearn everything and get his legs in shape to play the position. He'll see daylight sometime in May,