Page 59 of 68 FirstFirst ... 9495758596061 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,180 of 1345

Thread: 2016-2017 Off-Season Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    If the Twins take Wisler and Blair over De Leon they are morons. If that's the case the Braves should make the deal and then get De Leon from the Dodgers for themselves.
    They have to be offered De Leon first

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    They have to be offered De Leon first
    https://www.google.com/amp/www.sport...?client=safari

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/1...fer-twins.html

http://dodgerblue.com/dodgers-rumors...ek/2017/01/04/

Shall I find more link that say the exact same thing?

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    Mariners fleece the Royals and get Jarrod Dyson for Nate Karns.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orphan Black View Post
    Mariners fleece the Royals and get Jarrod Dyson for Nate Karns.
    I see it as a pretty fair trade. Ms get one year of a very good platoon player, KC gets up to 4 years of a backend SP with a little upside.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    I see it as a pretty fair trade. Ms get one year of a very good platoon player, KC gets up to 4 years of a backend SP with a little upside.
    I think we're seeing it the way Orphan Black is seeing it.

Also, we're praying for a return to form for Yovani Gallardo, whom we just acquired for Seth Smith. Dipoto likes athletic and defensive players, we just dealt a statue who rips righties and replaced him with a guy who says "That's what speed do."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    I like the trade on the Royals end. If Karns can get the BBs down, he could be a stud. Dyson is a one trick pony platoon player with 1 year left.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    A few notes from Nick Cafardo's latest on some remaining FAs that could fit the Braves.

4. Desmond Jennings, OF, free agent — Two years ago, he was a very good player in Tampa Bay, but injuries have slowed him way down, which is why he remains a free agent. One National League scout who is fond of Jennings said, “He’s only 30 and if he’s OK physically, which I’m told he is, this could be a find for a team. He’s worth the gamble. You can probably get him on a minor league deal, get him to camp, and see what happens.”
    8. Aaron Hill, INF, free agent — Hill, who was well-received by the Red Sox last season after he was acquired from the Brewers, has yet to surface with another team. But a few teams are in the market for a utility infielder, including the Braves and Royals. Hill hit only .218 with the Red Sox, but hit well for the Brewers (.283).
    9. Trevor Plouffe, 3B, free agent — Plouffe’s career with the Twins went poof. He was released and now is an intriguing extra piece for a team that might be looking for a bargain and the potential for a high return. The Red Sox kicked the tires as a backup for Pablo Sandoval but may not have room on their roster. The Braves also expressed interest, and the Royals as well, if they’re thinking about moving Mike Moustakas.
    https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/r...EuI/story.html

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    I don't understand why the Braves would be in on Hill and Plouffe, but not in on Hwang. At least Hwang has a chance of being a 3 WAR player.

I would like to see the Braves add Jennings as their 4th OFer. He has been on my wishlist ever since dak brought him up a month ago.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    I don't understand why the Braves would be in on Hill and Plouffe, but not in on Hwang. At least Hwang has a chance of being a 3 WAR player.

I would like to see the Braves add Jennings as their 4th OFer. He has been on my wishlist ever since dak brought him up a month ago.
    I'd guess years of commitment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    If they are adamant about getting a 2b I hope it's Dozier and they flip Albies for Quintana or Archer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Whether by design or not, we find ourselves in a situation where there are a couple free agents out there that are scuffling for offers but play positions where we could use an upgrade. For the right price, we should be open to bringing in Valbuena and Wieters. I think it makes more sense to sign one or both of them than to make a trade for Dozier. Kelly Johnson is also available and I would bring him back if we can't get Valbuena at a reasonable price.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    If they are adamant about getting a 2b I hope it's Dozier and they flip Albies for Quintana or Archer.
    It would take a lot more than Albies. I just would rather not go that route. Just continue to stay the course, there's no reason to try to make a big move to go for it right now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Whether by design or not, we find ourselves in a situation where there are a couple free agents out there that are scuffling for offers but play positions where we could use an upgrade. For the right price, we should be open to bringing in Valbuena and Wieters. I think it makes more sense to sign one or both of them than to make a trade for Dozier. Kelly Johnson is also available and I would bring him back if we can't get Valbuena at a reasonable price.
    Agreed on Valbuena but the more I look close at Wieters' stats the more and more I'm convinced he wouldn't be as good as Tyler Flowers full time.

Called Up to the Major Leagues SJ24's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    Luis Robert has left Cuba. He is 19 years old. 6'3, 195. Scout say he has plus power and could play center.

Hit .401 in Serie Nacional last year with 12 HR , 17 SB, 38 BB and 30 K.

If he is cleared by June 15th, the Braves can sign him. If he is not, we are out of the running.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Agreed on Valbuena but the more I look close at Wieters' stats the more and more I'm convinced he wouldn't be as good as Tyler Flowers full time.
    Wieters wouldn't be a replacement for Flowers, but more a replacement for Recker. Wieters at Castillo money would be a definite upgrade of about 1 win. Anything more than that and he's not worth it.

Valbuena was projected to earn something like 2/14, and that seems about right even now. He would be a 1-2 win improvement at 3b if platooned with Garcia.

Adding Jennings as the 4th OFer could also add 1 win to the team. He would give Inciarte and Markakis a day off 2-3 times a month against LHed starters, and be the daily defensive replacement for Fatt Kemp in LF.

Those 3 low cost additions could add a total of 3-4 wins to the Braves, at which point we could start to legitimately discuss them being a .500 team.

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Wieters wouldn't be a replacement for Flowers, but more a replacement for Recker. Wieters at Castillo money would be a definite upgrade of about 1 win. Anything more than that and he's not worth it.

Valbuena was projected to earn something like 2/14, and that seems about right even now. He would be a 1-2 win improvement at 3b if platooned with Garcia.

Adding Jennings as the 4th OFer could also add 1 win to the team. He would give Inciarte and Markakis a day off 2-3 times a month against LHed starters, and be the daily defensive replacement for Fatt Kemp in LF.

Those 3 low cost additions could add a total of 3-4 wins to the Braves, at which point we could start to legitimately discuss them being a .500 team.
    You think Jennings is an upgrade over Mallex, or just that Mallex will develop better in AAA as opposed to being the fourth outfielder?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsnores View Post
    You think Jennings is an upgrade over Mallex, or just that Mallex will develop better in AAA as opposed to being the fourth outfielder?
    I think Mallex's value to the organization is maximized by him playing CF everyday, either in Atlanta, Gwinnett, or with another organization. He doesn't fit well on this roster as a 4th OFer because 2 of the starters already bat LHed. The 4th OFer needs to hit LHers well, and be a positive defender who is capable of playing CF.

Connor Lien is an interesting internal option for the 4th OF slot. I would prefer giving him a shot over signing a guy like Frenchy that can't play CF.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    I think Mallex's value to the organization is maximized by him playing CF everyday, either in Atlanta, Gwinnett, or with another organization. He doesn't fit well on this roster as a 4th OFer because 2 of the starters already bat LHed. The 4th OFer needs to hit LHers well, and be a positive defender who is capable of playing CF.

Connor Lien is an interesting internal option for the 4th OF slot. I would prefer giving him a shot over signing a guy like Frenchy that can't play CF.
    Lien's skill set does fits perfectl, but he'll need some time in AAA. I agree on bringing back Frenchy. I'm kind of over he and KJ.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Richard Justice reported on his radio show today the Braves have been the most agressive for Archer and Q. Says Coppy thought an Archer deal was close in December. Around the same time Bowman puts a piece up about us still pursuing and ace.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    ...we just dealt a statue who rips righties and replaced him with a guy who says "That's what speed do."
    I'm confused. You guys got Chip Caray?