Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    The Braves clearly think Gohara found something last year with his conditioning and if he carries that forward his stock is going to get a lot more expensive than Mallex Smith. Time will tell on Mallex, I liked him, I think he can be a starter, but there are plenty who doubt he hits well enough to be that type of guy and if that's the case the Braves likely did well by selling on him now and not letting his value go down.
    I think the Braves are just taking any any guy with upside they can get hands on....most of them with prior issues. Seems to be their philosophy with acquiring prospects.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    From a Facebook chat with Buster Olney

Q: Blake Harvell What's your take on the Braves trade of Mallex Smith?

A: Buster Olney
    Buster Olney They're capitalizing on his value before it starts to decline. It's smart business.

It continues to seem like the national view of mallex is that he's not much more than a fringy OF starter and if that's the case, Buster is right - the Braves dealt him at the right time.
    Last edited by Preacher; 01-13-2017 at 03:12 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Preacher For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (01-13-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blueagleace1 View Post
    Enscheff any answer here my friend??
    I post here because there are several very intelligent members. Nsacpi, harry, Ramadon, and as much as I hate to admit it, gov and thewpk. A few others I'm sure I'm missing at the moment. Even smoot has his moments at times. Rico does an amazing job making this a place a one stop shop to keep up with prospect performances during the season.

Plus, I have numerous 5 minute breaks at work while code compiles or tests run, so this is a good place to kill time. Sometimes, like this morning, I'm stumped at work,so I use this site as a distraction while I figure out the best way to multi-thread a simulation that has to perform about 3 trillion slot evaluations. My desktop PC is limited to 24 physical cores, but I don't really want to write a process server to dole out tasks across the network. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Enscheff; 01-13-2017 at 03:27 PM.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    It continues to seem like the national view of mallex is that he's not much more than a fringy OF starter and if that's the case, Buster is right - the Braves dealt him at the right time.
    Interesting. Somebody will have to ressurect this thread in the future. Quite a few of the faithful have insisted all along that Mallex and Ender were equals, and that the latter should've been traded.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    Interesting. Somebody will have to ressurect this thread in the future. Quite a few of the faithful have insisted all along that Mallex and Ender were equals, and that the latter should've been traded.

I haven't seen a single person claim Mallex and Ender are equals. What I have seen is folks claim that the return for trading Ender would more than make up for the drop off from Ender to Mallex in CF.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    Interesting. Somebody will have to ressurect this thread in the future. Quite a few of the faithful have insisted that Mallex can be a starting CF and that trading Ender ,who has more value, would be a better overall move for the team.

FIFY

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    We must have a really good farm system when a guy in the 15-20 range is traded a huge uproar happens.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    We must have a really good farm system when a guy in the 15-20 range is traded a huge uproar happens.
    It's the best in baseball until the white sox trade Q

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    With Ender and Mallex the Braves were like a guy that owned a Mossberg pump shotgun and a Benelli semi-auto shotgun, and no other guns. He could trade the Mossberg for a nice .22 to hunt small game at 100 yards, or trade the Benelli for a bolt action .308 with a nice Leupold scope to hunt big game at long range.

Instead, he did what the Braves did and traded the Mossberg for a stripped AR15 lower that will probably never be built up to a functioning firearm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkPiggler View Post
    I'd love to see Smyly do well, but he's struggled with injuries since college.

When Drew is on he's pretty good, but any rating system or stat that rates Smyly as equal to or better than Teheran uses crack residue as one of its key inputs.
    Strong.
    Ivermectin Man

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

GovClintonTyree (01-13-2017)

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I post here because there are several very intelligent members. Nsacpi, harry, Ramadon, and as much as I hate to admit it, gov and thewpk. A few others I'm sure I'm missing at the moment. Even smoot has his moments at times. Rico does an amazing job making this a place a one stop shop to keep up with prospect performances during the season.

Plus, I have numerous 5 minute breaks at work while code compiles or tests run, so this is a good place to kill time. Sometimes, like this morning, I'm stumped at work,so I use this site as a distraction while I figure out the best way to multi-thread a simulation that has to perform about 3 trillion slot evaluations. My desktop PC is limited to 24 physical cores, but I don't really want to write a process server to dole out tasks across the network. Any suggestions?
    paragraph 2 resembles a language I have not, nor want to learn. Lol

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    It's the best in baseball until the white sox trade Q
    I hate the Yankees with a passion, but I think they might have currently. My opinion.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    I posted a set of numbers. The numbers upset you. I apologize.

Hopefully your safe space is a numbers-free zone.
    Your numbers are ****. At least this time.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    With Ender and Mallex the Braves were like a guy that owned a Mossberg pump shotgun and a Benelli semi-auto shotgun, and no other guns. He could trade the Mossberg for a nice .22 to hunt small game at 100 yards, or trade the Benelli for a bolt action .308 with a nice Leupold scope to hunt big game at long range.

Instead, he did what the Braves did and traded the Mossberg for a stripped AR15 lower that will probably never be built up to a functioning firearm.
    LOL Oh, my God.

I was thinking they had a hot blonde with averagish tits and a hot brunette who was gonna get implants.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts

The consensus on most of the Braves moves, including this one, has been that the Braves have done very well. You can disagree, and you at least back up those disagreements with valid reasons. But you often act as though it's obvious the Braves made a dumb move, and that is generally never the case. The Olivera deal was the one instance where I think that's true.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    For anyone taking the BP report as gospel , I find no other mention of a curve. But yet they go into some detail about it.
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    LOL Oh, my God.

I was thinking they had a hot blonde with averagish tits and a hot brunette who was gonna get implants.
    Pervert.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

GovClintonTyree (01-13-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    For anyone taking the BP report as gospel , I find no other mention of a curve. But yet they go into some detail about it.
    Often with young pitchers they'll throw a slurvy breaking ball that some will call a curve and others a slider. It usually morphs into one or the other. Also, sometimes you have pitches that have such crazy break that it's called a slider by some and a curve by others. Kimbrel's breaking ball was one of those.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Often with young pitchers they'll throw a slurvy breaking ball that some will call a curve and others a slider. It usually morphs into one or the other. Also, sometimes you have pitches that have such crazy break that it's called a slider by some and a curve by others. Kimbrel's breaking ball was one of those.
    Yeah, was surprised to learn, courtesy of Gameday, that Craig's slider was a knuckle-curve.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    FIFY
    Yeah, you "put me in my place" about how Fangraphs Favorite, Heyward, was having a better season than Freeman. Then it was pretend like it never happened.