Results 1,221 to 1,240 of 1345

Thread: 2016-2017 Off-Season Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    See above.
    Yes. See above indeed. Looking above I see some posts about the need for teams to learn from the failure of the White Sox. My point (perhaps made in a slightly smug way) has to do with the difficulty of identifying "bad chemistry" or "bad mix" before it kills your team. It seems to me it is easy ex post to say such and such a team had chemistry issues. "Bad mix" becomes the explanation for all things that happened that could not be explained by other variables. The question I am interested in raising is whether in analyzing the failures of teams like the White Sox it is possible to identify ex ante which teams are learning something from those failures and which teams are not.

I hope the above clarifies things and makes clear how my post fitted in with the conversation that was happening.

If I really wanted to be condescending I would say something to the effect that I was looking forward to your analysis of which teams had a "bad mix" in 2017 after the end of the season. But I resisted that temptation. Until now.

In a similar vein, anyone have a list of players they expect to be clutch this upcoming season?
    Last edited by nsacpi; 01-15-2017 at 09:01 AM.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Yes. See above indeed. Looking above I see some posts about the need for teams to learn from the failure of the White Sox. My point (perhaps made in a slightly smug way) has to do with the difficulty of identifying "bad chemistry" or "bad mix" before it kills your team. It seems to me it is easy ex post to say such and such a team had chemistry issues. "Bad mix" becomes the explanation for all things that happened that could not be explained by other variables. The question I am interested in raising is whether in analyzing the failures of teams like the White Sox it is possible to identify ex ante which teams are learning something from those failures and which teams are not.

I hope the above clarifies things and makes clear how my post fitted in with the conversation that was happening.

If I really wanted to be condescending I would say something to the effect that I was looking forward to your analysis of which teams had a "bad mix" in 2017 after the end of the season. But I resisted that temptation. Until now.

In a similar vein, anyone have a list of players they expect to be clutch this upcoming season?

Freeman and Swanson. (Kemp from time to time, but probably not as clutch as the first two.)
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Freeman and Swanson. (Kemp from time to time, but probably not as clutch as the first two.)
    Fredito has historically hit well with RISP. Last season was a bit of an exception. I predict Ender will be our most clutch player (which I define by the difference in BA with RISP and overall BA). He will be so clutch that there will be a clamor to move him out of leadoff to a spot where he can drive in more runs. At some point Snitker will succumb to the clamor. At which point Ender will stop being clutch. And a new group of posters will emerge saying the pressures of hitting lower in the lineup were too much for Ender.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 01-15-2017 at 09:54 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Fredito has historically hit well with RISP. Last season was a bit of an exception. I predict Ender will be our most clutch player (which I define by the difference in BA with RISP and overall BA). He will be so clutch that there will be a clamor to move him out of leadoff to a spot where he can drive in more runs. At some point Snitker will succumb to the clamor. At which point Ender will stop being clutch. And a new group of posters will emerge saying the pressures of hitting lower in the lineup were too much for Ender.
    I expect Tuffy to be extra clutch.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    JMO, but I can't personally see any point that Ender's moved from the leadoff spot until/unless he's being replaced there with Albies. Also just a personal (non-numbers based) opinion, but I'd prefer Albies as the guy hitting lower in the order even then since I'd rather have the flexibility of having the switch-hitter lower in the order.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts

That will depend entirely on who is putting in the work now, getting that one extra rep, who's first in the gym in the morning, who's playing for a contract, and who really "wants it" this year.

Since Freddie is a new dad and all we see on him are his wife's tweets of him with his kid asleep on his chest, I think we can safely assume some regression to the clutchness mean from Freddie.

Dansby was born clutch. I think we might not appreciate how clutch he is if he starts his career being clutch and retains a high level of clutchness throughout.

Also, I think we can expect Adonis to report in the Best Shape Of His Life, so he'll probably experience a clutchness spike.
    Last edited by GovClintonTyree; 01-16-2017 at 08:02 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-18-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    JMO, but I can't personally see any point that Ender's moved from the leadoff spot until/unless he's being replaced there with Albies. Also just a personal (non-numbers based) opinion, but I'd prefer Albies as the guy hitting lower in the order even then since I'd rather have the flexibility of having the switch-hitter lower in the order.
    I think you're right. Inciarte has an extremely low exit velocity and high ground ball percentage, but I think after three years of consistent success and improving plate discipline it's safe to say he owns it and can hit .300/.360. I know we don't run much, but I like that guy hitting leadoff.

The slide step is a nefarious plot to shred elbows and shoulders while eliminating the running game. It should be outlawed.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    I think you're right. Inciarte has an extremely low exit velocity and high ground ball percentage, but I think after three years of consistent success and improving plate discipline it's safe to say he owns it and can hit .300/.360. I know we don't run much, but I like that guy hitting leadoff.

The slide step is a nefarious plot to shred elbows and shoulders while eliminating the running game. It should be outlawed.

interesting take on the elbow/shoulder vs. slide step. You think slide step makes the pitcher max more than normal wind up.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    That will depend entirely on who is putting in the work now, getting that one extra rep, who's first in the gym in the morning, who's playing for a contract, and who really "wants it" this year.

Since Freddie is a new dad and all we see on him are his wife's tweets of him with his kid asleep on his chest, I think we can safely assume some regression to the clutchness mean from Freddie.

Dansby was born clutch. I think we might not appreciate how clutch he is if he starts his career being clutch and retains a high level of clutchness throughout.

Also, I think we can expect Adonis to report in the Best Shape Of His Life, so he'll probably experience a clutchness spike.
    He has the Jeter gene.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    interesting take on the elbow/shoulder vs. slide step. You think slide step makes the pitcher max more than normal wind up.
    I do. Almost by definition, since you're eliminating any wasted motion and any triggering mechanism that helps your timing.

To the extent you do those things, it gives the arm a bit more time to fully rotate and get in max leverage position. If you're "clean" enough to eliminate .1-.2 seconds, it's a rare pitcher who doesn't have an equal amount of arm lag. So you're pulling it through with the little muscles rather than leaving the load where it belongs - on the tushie.

That is also why I teach a full windup when possible. Too many youth pitchers (all pitchers) get hurt. I also advocate throwing at 85-90% effort, so the springs and wires don't start popping off.

I know Leo Mazzone is considered old school, but Leo was right about a lot of stuff. One of them was max effort. And now Jim Andrews has written a position paper that points to year-round pitching and especially max effort as his top indicators of which pitcher is going to need Tommy John.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    I've been curious about the market for Michael Saunders this offseason, as I see it as a bit of a test case on Markakis' value. Both are LHH corner OFs who produce in the 1-2 WAR zone. Markakis gets there in a steady but unspectacular manner, while Saunders is more inconsistent and has more injury issues. I think I prefer having Markakis, but it's close.

Given the terms below for Saunders as he enters his age 30 season, I'm thinking we'd be hard-pressed to trade Markakis right now w/o having to include a little money.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to dak For This Useful Post:

thewupk (01-16-2017)

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    I expect Tuffy to be extra clutch.
    And tough.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts

You've turned this into something it never was. I never said that the fact that the Chisox were a bad mix in 2016 that it would be predictive in the future in a quantitative fashion. But you can still learn from it. But what you learn may be more subjective than definitive.

For me, you look at the Chisox and have to say:

Rotation: Check
    Ace: Check, in fact argument for 2
    Pen: OK
    Closer: Check
    Pitching above league avg. BB below league avg. HR allowed below league avg.

Overall, pitching good to very good.

Offense: 4.23 runs per game, far under league average of 4.52. Finished 11th in the AL. Power, 168HR, well below league average of 197 and 13th in the AL. SB 77, league average. K right above league average. BA league average, OBP below. Slugging below.
    Offensively they were a below average team. Got very little out of C, CF and DH.

Team defensive efficiency: league avg.
    Errors 95, above league avg of 91.
    DP above league avg.
    Overall a pretty average team defensively.

Looking at that, I would say that even with an underperforming offense, the WS should have been a .500 or better team. It looks to me that they underperformed by 3-5 wins from where they should have been.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    You've turned this into something it never was. I never said that the fact that the Chisox were a bad mix in 2016 that it would be predictive in the future in a quantitative fashion. But you can still learn from it. But what you learn may be more subjective than definitive.

For me, you look at the Chisox and have to say:

Rotation: Check
    Ace: Check, in fact argument for 2
    Pen: OK
    Closer: Check
    Pitching above league avg. BB below league avg. HR allowed below league avg.

Overall, pitching good to very good.

Offense: 4.23 runs per game, far under league average of 4.52. Finished 11th in the AL. Power, 168HR, well below league average of 197 and 13th in the AL. SB 77, league average. K right above league average. BA league average, OBP below. Slugging below.
    Offensively they were a below average team. Got very little out of C, CF and DH.

Team defensive efficiency: league avg.
    Errors 95, above league avg of 91.
    DP above league avg.
    Overall a pretty average team defensively.

Looking at that, I would say that even with an underperforming offense, the WS should have been a .500 or better team. It looks to me that they underperformed by 3-5 wins from where they should have been.
    Take a look at their record in 1 run games. Their poor luck in those games explains the missing wins. There is no mystery why they are/were bad.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Tigers just got Mahtook from the Rays for basically nothing. His MLB and MiLB splits suggest he would have been a great option to serve as the Braves RHed 4th OFer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    The Trumbo contract is interesting. He projects to be about a 1.5 WAR per year player over the next three years. And he is being paid about 12M per season or right at the going market rate for 1.5 wins. Trumbo is a player whose value is concentrated on the offensive side, and more particularly power, with his defense being a big negative. What is interesting is that the contract does not seem to be discounting the defensive shortcomings or to put it another way assigning brownie points for hitting or power. It is valuing value as value regardless of whether it comes from the long ball or defense.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    One small way the Trumbo deal impacts us -- the draft order is officially set now and our second-round pick will be #41. If Trumbo went elsewhere and Baltimore got a pick, we would've picked at #43 because the Pirates are locked into the #42 pick after not signing their selection there last year. That's looks like an increase of $100,000 in our draft pool based on last year's numbers. With the order sets, our picks in the first three rounds are at 5, 41 and 80 overall, which looks like it'll give us about $6.75 million to spend on those three picks if the numbers are the same as last year.

It's small and a long time away, but hey, it's a slow time in baseball right now and I'm bored.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

bravesfanMatt (01-20-2017), NYCBrave (01-20-2017), Tapate50 (01-20-2017), thewupk (01-20-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    One small way the Trumbo deal impacts us -- the draft order is officially set now and our second-round pick will be #41. If Trumbo went elsewhere and Baltimore got a pick, we would've picked at #43 because the Pirates are locked into the #42 pick after not signing their selection there last year. That's looks like an increase of $100,000 in our draft pool based on last year's numbers. With the order sets, our picks in the first three rounds are at 5, 41 and 80 overall, which looks like it'll give us about $6.75 million to spend on those three picks if the numbers are the same as last year.

It's small and a long time away, but hey, it's a slow time in baseball right now and I'm bored.
    That sounds awesome for us! It's crazy to imagine with system once we add those guys.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I can see Coppy trading for a comp pick at some point.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post

3 more multi-millionaire pitchers about to be made!