Thread: 2017 mock draft

On BBA's Top 100 Prospects List PurpleBrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts

2017 mock draft

http://www.fueledbysports.com/2017-mlb-mock-draft/

No obvious #1 here. Some think Schwarz could be it.

Do we take the best player available or continue to value town it?

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Wasn't expecting this until at least next May, but if there's nobody head and shoulders "best player," then they should identify need. This selection will also speak to current status of scouting and analytics. Avery and Chipper were the only high end picks to have a very successful careers from the last run of top picks. The others were Tyler Houston, Derek Lilliquist and Mike Kelly, who were a very mixed bag.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    You can practically ignore any mock draft being done at this time of year. The people who actually have some idea of what they're talking about won't put one out until late next spring and even then will caution it's way too early.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mqt For This Useful Post:

rico43 (08-21-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    If we have the #1 pick then they better go BPA instead of going the value route.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

Coach_Chris (08-21-2016), goldfly (08-21-2016)

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    109 Posts
    Hunter Greene.

"On the first day of the event, shortstop/right-handed pitcher Hunter Greene (Notre Dame High School, in Sherman Oaks, Calif.) put his two-way talent on display and made a case for himself as the best player in the field. Scouts already know Greene well, having seen him play last summer as the youngest member of USA Baseball's 18U National Team, which featured 2016 first-round picks Mickey Moniak, Ian Anderson, Will Benson, Forrest Whitley and Blake Rutherford. He also generated buzz within the scouting community earlier this week when he pitched in front of Major League Scouting Bureau evaluators in California and reached 97 mph with his fastball.

Greene, a UCLA commit, has the long, lean and projectable build that scouts look for at a listed 6-foot-4, 197 pounds. Whether he's pitching or playing the field, he plays the game effortlessly with fast-twitch athleticism and impressive polish in all phases. In game action, he combines strength with controlled aggression, and there's an explosive element to everything he does that sets him apart from his peers.
    In his one-inning stint on Wednesday, Greene ran his heater up to 95 mph and settled into the 92-94 range. There's a quick tempo to his simple motion, as he takes a pretty clean arm circle into a three-quarters slot with a gentle plant-foot landing. He creates solid angle on his fastball, which features riding life that induced an awkward swing from a right-handed hitter for the second of his two strikeouts. He also showed the makings of an above-average slider that reaches the low-80s with sharp bite and tilt at its best, taking a flatter trajectory when it's not. The size, stuff and pitchability give him a starter's profile at the next level, and his physical projection portends improvement as he adds strength and arm speed.

At the plate, Greene combines a natural, fluid swing with an advanced feel to hit. He showed very good bat speed and extension in batting practice, producing loud echoes off the barrel as he drove a handful of balls over the fence. With athletic movements in the box and exceptional bat control, he has a line-drive swing plane geared for both contact and power. He's a smooth defender at shortstop with solid hands and loose, coordinated actions, moving laterally with easy strides. He has a real chance to stay at the position, but should his physical maturation sap too much of his range, he has the defensive tools to become a well above-average defender at third base.

Greene -- who will still be 17 years old by the time next year's draft rolls around -- is one of the better two-way prospects in recent memory. There's a legitimate debate in the scouting community as to where he should play, and settling that debate will be difficult if he performs as he's expected to on both sides of the ball next spring. Regardless, he has the look of a potential top 10 pick at this very early juncture, offering all-star upside at whatever position his selecting team decides to develop him."

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    So, not only is Greene a hit or miss pick, you could hit or miss at what position you play him. UCLA commitment likely means there are no bargains to be had here.

Playing the Waiting Game blueagleace1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    You can practically ignore any mock draft being done at this time of year. The people who actually have some idea of what they're talking about won't put one out until late next spring and even then will caution it's way too early.
    Exactly right mqt, just look at last years draft for prime example. Nobody had Moniack in their Top 10 early, let alone the first pick and very few if any had Senzel and Anderson in early top 10ish rankings.
    "Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    So, not only is Greene a hit or miss pick, you could hit or miss at what position you play him. UCLA commitment likely means there are no bargains to be had here.
    To be fair, I'd imagine over the next 10 months it will become more and more apparent where you play him at and if he has what it takes to be a 1-1 guy. From everything I've seen so far, he'll need to add a lot of speed to his game to stick at SS or even in the IF at all. If he shows to be either a corner OF or a SP, I think the decision becomes a lot easier unless the bat can't be ignored.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    Echoing [MENTION=148]Hudson2[/MENTION], I hope the Braves aren't bargain-hunting if they do end up with the top overall pick.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Hudson2 (08-21-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Echoing [MENTION=148]Hudson2[/MENTION], I hope the Braves aren't bargain-hunting if they do end up with the top overall pick.
    Looking back at the Anderson pick I don't mind so much bc there were questions with everybody in the draft and we got Wentz and Muller with the saved money. But with the #1 pick I don't wanna take that chance bc this coming draft looks to be a ton better.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-21-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Looking back at the Anderson pick I don't mind so much bc there were questions with everybody in the draft and we got Wentz and Muller with the saved money. But with the #1 pick I don't wanna take that chance bc this coming draft looks to be a ton better.
    It's also pretty hard to find someone that will require the full slot at number 1. Almost any prospect you pick will represent some form of savings.

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    109 Posts
    Pretty sure everybody is a hit or miss pick. I hope we take the BPA even if there are no bargains.
    Last edited by ball4life32; 08-21-2016 at 12:19 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ball4life32 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-21-2016)

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,269 Posts
    I'm a Gator, but count me out on Schwarz. He's not really a catcher, and he was a mess for most of his sophomre season, unable to catch up to any sort of fastball. He'll have a chance to re-coup some of his losses in 2017, but barring a truly monstrous year, I don't see him as a realistic candidate for 1/1.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to MadduxFanII For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-21-2016)

Playing the Waiting Game blueagleace1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    I'm a Gator, but count me out on Schwarz. He's not really a catcher, and he was a mess for most of his sophomre season, unable to catch up to any sort of fastball. He'll have a chance to re-coup some of his losses in 2017, but barring a truly monstrous year, I don't see him as a realistic candidate for 1/1.
    Being a Gator fan, what is your assessment of Faedo?
    "Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon"

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    We really didn't get Wentz and Muller with the saved money though, we could have easily just signed seniors instead of Harrington and Walker and signed whoever we wanted at #1 for 5 mil or so. The amount of money we saved with Anderson went more to paying big overslot deals to Cumberland and Wilson anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    You don't feel the Schwarz?
    thank you weso1!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

bravesfanMatt (08-21-2016)

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,269 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blueagleace1 View Post
    Being a Gator fan, what is your assessment of Faedo?
    Stud. Total stud. The stuff is maybe not quite sharp enough to justify the #1 overall pick (the slider doesn't bite consistently, and the fastball often sits closer to 90 than to 95), but he'll be a top 10 guy easy- he's got the stuff, the build and the mentality to justify it.

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,269 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    You don't feel the Schwarz?
    His 2017 will be The Search For More Money.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    His 2017 will be The Search For More Money.
    Sounds like his mlb career will be anywhere from suck to blow.
    thank you weso1!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

zedsdead (08-21-2016)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    I'd argue almost the exact opposite personally. Assuming we're picking first and no one significantly separates themselves from the pack, I wouldn't have any problem following the same strategy once again.

The 2017 draft is expected to be better - as a whole. If someone doesn't step forward and show that they're the slam-dunk #1 pick and you're in a position to add an EVEN BETTER trio than Anderson, Wentz, and Muller, you'd be nuts for not taking advantage of that opportunity.

It's far too early to even think about who you might target if you're picking first at this point, and doing so earlier than late next spring is pretty pointless IMO.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?