Page 254 of 579 FirstFirst ... 154204244252253254255256264304354 ... LastLast
Results 5,061 to 5,080 of 11579

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post
    Agreed completely. Maybe if they threw in 50M? I'm guessing the Cubs are just going to be stuck w that contract tho
    If they threw in 50 million they might get someone to bite, esp. if Happ is included.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    599 Posts
    Merry Christmas gentlemen and ladies !

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hulavol For This Useful Post:

buck75 (12-25-2018), clvclv (12-25-2018), JohnAdcox (12-26-2018), TheRunningAgent (12-26-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Cubs were weren't sure how good Baez was gonna be a year ago.
    No, but his pedigree and minor league success would have suggested he had a much better chance at breaking out and becoming a stud than Camargo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    No, but his pedigree and minor league success would have suggested he had a much better chance at breaking out and becoming a stud than Camargo
    Camargo's 2018 has to enter the equation as far as priors going into 2019 are concerned.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Heywards contract is too much for us to take on for five years unless they paid like 40 million bringing it to 13 million a year and gave us Contreras. Even then I don’t like tying up RF that long.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Camargo's 2018 has to enter the equation as far as priors going into 2019 are concerned.
    Completely agree, but considering his BABIP when he was playing out of his mind and weighing everything else (I mean Baez was a number 9 overall pick, killed the minors, #5 ranked prospect in all MLB... its not like last season just came out of nowhere)... you can't convince me the next logical step for Camargo is a 5+ WAR season (like Baez's season last year)

Don't get me wrong, I love Camargo, but I have a hard time comparing the two with a straight face...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-24-2018)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    The more I think about it the more I like the idea of a package of Inciarte for Winker plus from the reds.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    When you start breaking down the season into smaller and smaller bits and somewhat dismissing the hot streaks, you are starting to miss the point.

Hot streaks are part of it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    AA is to smart to miss out on everybody. He may end up overpaying a little bit in trade but he’ll fix LF. At least I hope so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    When you start breaking down the season into smaller and smaller bits and somewhat dismissing the hot streaks, you are starting to miss the point.

Oh good lord... this better not be about Neck because if it is you're just being obtuse. First half and second half is not small chuncks... one half was clearly not like any other half in his past 5 years...

Playing the Waiting Game blueagleace1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Would the Cards be a team to talk to? They would likely LOVE to unload Dexter Fowler and he’d likely welcome a move. Obviously we’d need JTR in this scenario, but he seems too talented to drop off a cliff like that. Guy apparently battled depression all last year.

It would have to be at a STEEP discount.
    You know, this may not be a bad idea at all. Now, let me start by saying this is all predicated on the FO believing Fowler's 2018 season was the anomaly and not the new normal. Which in my opinion, it was the outlier. So...

Fowler is owed roughly $49,500,000 over the next three seasons or $16,500,000 per year. If the Cardinals were willing to pay $24,000,000 or $8,000,000 per year Fowler could be a nice play. Dexter has a career .OBP of .360 and prior to last season was usually in the .360 range annually. He would be a great guy to put at the top of our lineup for a couple of reasons: 1.) Good OBP guy 2. Switch hitter 3. Would allow you to move Acuna to the cleanup spot in the lineup. The more I think about it, the more I like it and would be willing to move a decent prospect (Allard maybe?) to entice the Cards to throw in the above amount.

1. Dexter Fowler- LF/RF
    2. Josh Donaldson-3B
    3. Freddie Freeman- 1B
    4. Ronald Acuna- RF/LF
    5. Mac/Flowers- C
    6. Ozzie Albies- 2B
    7. Ender Inciarte- CF
    8. Dansby Swanson- SS
    9. Pitcher

Camargo / Mac/Flowers / Culberson / Duvall

*Could put 5/6/7/8 in any order really

That wouldn't be bad at all. Would also save all prospects to go after JTR or an ace. Now a lineup with JTR would be really really deep!

Fowler
    Donaldson
    Freeman
    Acuna
    JTR
    Ozzie
    Ender
    Dansby
    Pitcher

Sign. Me. Up
    "Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon"

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    Crazy idea, Heyward is owed this over the next five years:

9 29 Chicago Cubs $20,000,000 9.000 Has right to opt out of contract following 2019 season if he has 550 PA that year.
    2020 30 Chicago Cubs $21,000,000
    2021 31 Chicago Cubs $21,000,000
    2022 32 Chicago Cubs $22,000,000
    2023 33 Chicago Cubs $22,000,000
    I don't think AA would do it either, just a funny discussion they were having. The original question I responded to was about "how much would they have to pay down". The assumption in that discussion was that they'd have to attach something awfully attractive because they wouldn't be able to pay a huge chunk of Heyward's money AND sign Harper.
    Last edited by clvclv; 12-25-2018 at 09:47 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post

Exactly. Better players have longer hot streaks that are better, and shorter cold streaks that aren’t as long or as bad.

We know how many PAs various stats take to normalize, and we know Markakis is no longer a very good player. We also know the Braves should be able to do better in cOF unless they botched the offseason.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-25-2018)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Riley, Camargo and Duval.

Plus guys like Matt Joyce are available on cheap one-year deals.
    I still really like the idea of Joyce over Markakis as a "last resort". Really cheap power to pair with Duvall and still allow Camargo to roam A LOT. If the money's not there (or the stomach for the commitment) for Pollock - and if A. J.'s asking price doesn't drop significantly - a Joyce/Duvall (or even Camargo if necessary) platoon ought to be better than bringing Markakis back. Markakis MIGHT provide a higher OBP than those two paired together, but are you looking for that if you go Acuna, Donaldson, Freeman at the top - and is there really any chance he'll do nearly as much damage?

I'm still not convinced Snitker will hit Donaldson in the #2 hole (and no, I'm not arguing whether the numbers make sense) - unless he's ordered to go that way, you just have to figure he likely wants one of Donaldson or Acuna to be Freddie's "protection". That gives you Acuna, Albies/Ender, Freddie, Donaldson, and that's assuming he leaves Acuna at the top. Ideally (for me), Albies or Ender gets his *hit together enough to go back to leading off - then you're balanced through the #6 hole with the platoons of Joyce/Duvall, Flowers/Mac flip-flopping behind Donaldson based on who the opposing SP is.

Picking up Joyce on the cheap does several things. First, it leaves AA the money to go grab one of the remaining back-end options while there are still some significant upgrades available. It also puts them in position to use Camargo there against lefties if Duvall doesn't rebound while making him the 25th man until Riley gets comfortable on the grass (assuming he isn't dealt). It also leaves a little extra financial flexibility in case an unseen opportunity to upgrade the front of the rotation arises.

You just have to think they're looking at Riley as a legitimate LF option if he can handle it defensively in the event Donaldson's brought back and Riley's still here - they'll really need the cheap player if they pay him $20 or more million going forward (particularly if Pache's power doesn't come and he's "just another Ender"). Julio, O'Day, and Viz' money will need to go towards Folty and Newk's arbitration raises and a replacement for Mac (if Contreras isn't amazingly ready) next winter.

While "failure" is an awfully big word if Markakis were to be brought back, I just really hope they'll move on.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    not really advocating for Matt Joyce...just pointing out the hitting projections for him are pretty much the same as for Muk and Cargo...and we should keep that in mind in pricing the latter two

my preferred move is a trade for someone like Pederson or Peralta...but it takes two to tango

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

clvclv (12-26-2018), jpx7 (12-25-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    I still really like the idea of Joyce over Markakis as a "last resort". Really cheap power to pair with Duvall and still allow Camargo to roam A LOT. If the money's not there (or the stomach for the commitment) for Pollock - and if A. J.'s asking price doesn't drop significantly - a Joyce/Duvall (or even Camargo if necessary) platoon ought to be better than bringing Markakis back. Markakis MIGHT provide a higher OBP than those two paired together, but are you looking for that if you go Acuna, Donaldson, Freeman at the top - and is there really any chance he'll do nearly as much damage?

I'm still not convinced Snitker will hit Donaldson in the #2 hole (and no, I'm not arguing whether the numbers make sense) - unless he's ordered to go that way, you just have to figure he likely wants one of Donaldson or Acuna to be Freddie's "protection". That gives you Acuna, Albies/Ender, Freddie, Donaldson, and that's assuming he leaves Acuna at the top. Ideally (for me), Albies or Ender gets his *hit together enough to go back to leading off - then you're balanced through the #6 hole with the platoons of Joyce/Duvall, Flowers/Mac flip-flopping behind Donaldson based on who the opposing SP is.

Picking up Joyce on the cheap does several things. First, it leaves AA the money to go grab one of the remaining back-end options while there are still some significant upgrades available. It also puts them in position to use Camargo there against lefties if Duvall doesn't rebound while making him the 25th man until Riley gets comfortable on the grass (assuming he isn't dealt). It also leaves a little extra financial flexibility in case an unseen opportunity to upgrade the front of the rotation arises.

You just have to think they're looking at Riley as a legitimate LF option if he can handle it defensively in the event Donaldson's brought back and Riley's still here - they'll really need the cheap player if they pay him $20 or more million going forward (particularly if Pache's power doesn't come and he's "just another Ender"). Julio, O'Day, and Viz' money will need to go towards Folty and Newk's arbitration raises and a replacement for Mac (if Contreras isn't amazingly ready) next winter.

While "failure" is an awfully big word if Markakis were to be brought back, I just really hope they'll move on.
    If we don't get JTR and upgrade the rotation while bringing Muk back... failure isn't a big word at all. It'd be a clear offseason failure

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    The more I think about it, the more I REALLY freaking want to try for Joey Gallo. You could probably project him for ~13-14 WAR over the next 4 seasons at a cost of ~40 million. Rangers are desperate for some future pitching. You think a package like Kyle Wright, Gohara, Joey Wentz, and a little filler could get it done? Would you do it? I'd definitely consider it. I don't know if he's even available at any price, but if we could offer the Rangers some high upside pitching they'd have to at least pick up the phone.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    The more I think about it, the more I REALLY freaking want to try for Joey Gallo. You could probably project him for ~13-14 WAR over the next 4 seasons at a cost of ~40 million. Rangers are desperate for some future pitching. You think a package like Kyle Wright, Gohara, Joey Wentz, and a little filler could get it done? Would you do it? I'd definitely consider it. I don't know if he's even available at any price, but if we could offer the Rangers some high upside pitching they'd have to at least pick up the phone.
    Seems like a ton to pay for a really low bp and not great defense. I’d be more in the fried plus allard range for him.

I still wonder if we could get polanco from Pitt. I guess Pitt is going for it too but it’s a tough division. He is locked up for his prime at good numbers. I’m just not sure he’s that good. Can he be a 2-3 war guy?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    wow that would be a lot
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    That's way too much for Gallo... however, if we could pick up him reasonable and JTR plus a Gray(also trading JT)... I'd be happy there