Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: The Braves are moving to Cobb County

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Other points of note:

- The Atlanta Braves organization will serve as the design and construction manager for the project. The Atlanta Braves will be responsible for any cost overruns.
    - Except for Cobb County’s right to conduct a limited number of special events, the Atlanta Braves have exclusive rights to use and operate the Stadium and permit third parties to do the same.
    - Because there are no new taxes here outside of the self-taxing CID, the County Commission can approve the proposal without a countywide referendum. Cobb County residents will cover nearly half of the Braves' ballpark without getting to vote on it.

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    "Cumberland District taxes*

Welp, looks like I'll be paying for part of the stadium myself. Y'all can thank me later.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to wheresmykayak For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-20-2013)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    There is clearly a lot of political jockeying going on in Cobb County that we will probably never quite get the full story on. Yes, officials are boasting that there will be no tax increases related to the stadium now, but they've fashioned the pooling of a funds in a way that allows them to collectively raise taxes in the future under different guises without ever having to say that those increases will directly offset stadium costs.

The $14 million for transportation is an interesting figure which definitely seems to point towards a big NO for a MARTA extension. I still believe that we'll see movement on that prior to 2017, because on the basis of the grousing I've read about regarding traffic in that area, there's no way $14 million is going to magically assuage the transportation nightmare the stadium will undoubtedly cause.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    So the Braves contribution is a lot higher than originally reported. Initially, it was stated they'd pay 200 million. This figure has it at 367 million.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    So the Braves contribution is a lot higher than originally reported. Initially, it was stated they'd pay 200 million. This figure has it at 367 million.
    Theoretically with 10k less potential people going to a game because of lower capacity, the traffic should be not as congested.

I don't know how bad the traffic is to Turner on your average baseball game. THe only games I've been to were Saturday night games against high profile teams, or ceremonial games like Chipper's retirement #10 ceremony.
    Forever Fredi

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    I only ever park in the Fulton County stadium lot.Getting in and out is annoying, but not too bad if you're at least a little patient.

And they're going to need a lot more than $14M to make a dent in the Cobb Parkway traffic. It's already gridlocked most all the time. If I go to a game at the new location, I'll probably just park at the mall, and use the skybridge to go over to the Galleria and the field. And they better have a connection between the two, or this will be even dumber, IMO.

Not Actually Brian Hunter Metaphysicist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithLockhart View Post
    Theoretically with 10k less potential people going to a game because of lower capacity, the traffic should be not as congested.
    I think you have that completely backwards. The whole point is that more people are supposed to go to this new location than went to the never-at-capacity Turner. Adding in the people who previously took MARTA or surface streets and who can now only take the interstate, the traffic burden is going to be much higher.

And that's without even addressing the fact that traffic at the proposed location is already horrendous, while the area around Turner is a ghost town except on game nights.

I don't know how bad the traffic is to Turner on your average baseball game. THe only games I've been to were Saturday night games against high profile teams, or ceremonial games like Chipper's retirement #10 ceremony.
    The traffic on the way to the game can be pretty bad if you don't know the area. For example, if you live on the east side, you can come in through Grant Park relatively unimpeded. Even coming down the connector from the North, most of the congestion can be avoided if you go past the stadium and then take Hank Aaron back up from the south. But you would never really know about those options if you live in a White Flight county, never come into town, and only know to take the connector right to the stadium.

Getting out can be a nightmare or a breeze, depending on where you park.
    Last edited by Metaphysicist; 11-15-2013 at 12:43 AM.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphysicist View Post
    I think you have that completely backwards. The whole point is that more people are supposed to go to this new location than went to the never-at-capacity Turner. Adding in the people who previously took MARTA or surface streets and who can now only take the interstate, the traffic burden is going to be much higher.

And that's without even addressing the fact that traffic at the proposed location is already horrendous, while the area around Turner is a ghost town except on game nights.

The traffic on the way to the game can be pretty bad if you don't know the area. For example, if you live on the east side, you can come in through Grant Park relatively unimpeded. Even coming down the connector from the North, most of the congestion can be avoided if you go past the stadium and then take Hank Aaron back up from the south. But you would never really know about those options if you live in a White Flight county, never come into town, and only know to take the connector right to the stadium.

Yeah, but it will always scare the **** out of your wife and kids.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts

that makes no sense

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphysicist View Post

glad to see met cover it

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Here is my take on the move, not that anyone cares. I love the move and here are some reasons. It will be fun going to the game early and/or staying late because there is something to do besides rushing to the car to beat the traffic. As for the traffic in Cobb, if people are going early and staying late, the traffic will be diluted coming in and out of the stadium. There are only about 55 weekday games at home. So, the residents can relax. I am assuming a couple of complex only exits will be built, kinda like the North Springs MARTA station. I'm excited about this. I HATE downtown Atlanta with a passion.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to COGPK For This Useful Post:

gcbraves (11-15-2013), The Chosen One (11-15-2013)

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,812 Posts
    AJC: Atlanta Braves Plan $400 Million Entertainment District:

http://www.ajc.com/news/business/atl...nt-dist/nbyxr/

Link also has some some drawings for what the district & stadium might look like.
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    That looks bad arse. This is a great move.
    Ivermectin Man

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

Hawk (11-20-2013)

Brian Jordan's New BFF JohnAdcox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    The $14 million for transportation is an interesting figure which definitely seems to point towards a big NO for a MARTA extension. I still believe that we'll see movement on that prior to 2017, because on the basis of the grousing I've read about regarding traffic in that area, there's no way $14 million is going to magically assuage the transportation nightmare the stadium will undoubtedly cause.
    I have a hard time imagining that $14 million would cover more than the new exit.

Creepy Lurking Stalker OkieBrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    It wasn't long ago that there was ideas put forth about the area around Turner Field for development... Here's the link:
    http://www.ajc.com/news/business/vis...ng-lots/nTsPT/

Obviously this doesn't really help with traffic or MARTA but it's not much different than the new stadium sight. What the Braves must be looking at was the revenue wasn't going to be much better than what they wanted and then the renovation to Turner Field itself. At the end of the day it'll be better for the team to make the move to Cobb County as long as they do this right and build a stadium worth having for a long time.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    I'm just mad now, because now I have to make a new Chop Country banner with a different background and remove the Turner Field logo.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    I'm just mad now, because now I have to make a new Chop Country banner with a different background and remove the Turner Field logo.
    If anything, I would have guessed Maddux would have turned hardcore Satanist first. Tough break.

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,812 Posts
    Well, at least you have time to design a new banner.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    3 years to make it though should give you time to make it pretty badass

Lynchburg Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Anectodal evidence but my cousin lives 15 min from the location of the cobb stadium and shes 100 percent on board and says the people there are super hyped about it.