Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves sign Gavin Floyd 1 yr 4M + incentives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emk418 View Post
    I'm sorry but I just don't understand this. Why make a move like this still pretty early in the offseason and prevent us from other SP moves? This would be a decent signing in January if we've exhausted all other options but not now.

I've been the biggest Wren supporter over the years but I'm starting to really question his decision making.
    What are these other SP moves that you think he should be making?

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,279 Posts
    Signing Gavin Floyd for small money doesn't prevent us from doing anything. If we sign him, the rotation status quo stays the same: Minor-Teheran-Medlen-Beachy-Wood going into spring training, with Hale fighting for time. If we like that prospect, we'll stay with it. If we don't, we can still make a move. You sign Floyd on the idea that, when he's healthy, there's a pretty solid chance someone in that rotation will be hurt or struggling. Nothing about a Gavin Floyd signing means that Samardzija or any other pitcher is out of the question.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    What are these other SP moves that you think he should be making?
    I want Samardzija and maybe I'm wrong but I think this takes us out of the running.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    I want Samardzija and maybe I'm wrong but I think this takes us out of the running.
    I also think we should be making a serious offer for Samardzija. I don't think us getting Floyd has much effect on how the front office views things with respect to Samardzija.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Who are the two big injury question marks. As I see it Floyd is the sixth guy in case anything happens to one of the other five. He has a similar role as Beachy had last year.
    Beachy and Floyd are both injury risks. Beachy could very easily never play baseball again.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    Signing Gavin Floyd for small money doesn't prevent us from doing anything. If we sign him, the rotation status quo stays the same: Minor-Teheran-Medlen-Beachy-Wood going into spring training, with Hale fighting for time. If we like that prospect, we'll stay with it. If we don't, we can still make a move. You sign Floyd on the idea that, when he's healthy, there's a pretty solid chance someone in that rotation will be hurt or struggling. Nothing about a Gavin Floyd signing means that Samardzija or any other pitcher is out of the question.
    I agree totally. Depending on the dollars involved and structure of the Floyd deal, I'd go even further and say that this might make a Samardzija deal even a little more likely. If the deal contains a 2015 option, you could argue that this might make Wren even more likely to include Wood in a Samardzija trade if that's what it takes to seal it.

Rotation options as is (assuming Floyd deal):

Medlen
    Minor
    Teheran
    Beachy
    Wood
    Floyd
    Hale

Assuming a Samardzija trade involving Wood:

Samardzija
    Minor
    Medlen
    Teheran
    Beachy
    Floyd
    Graham
    Hale

If Floyd's deal contains an option, it certainly makes including Wood much easier to swallow. Then your 2015 rotation options include more than enough quality arms to reduce any need to rush a Sims or Cabrera. It would also give you three opportunities to trade Floyd for controllable assets if he proves healthy (2014 deadline, 2014 offseason, 2015 deadline).
    Last edited by clvclv; 12-15-2013 at 01:04 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    I also think we should be making a serious offer for Samardzija. I don't think us getting Floyd has much effect on how the front office views things with respect to Samardzija.
    I hope so

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    I'm sorry but I just don't understand this. Why make a move like this still pretty early in the offseason and prevent us from other SP moves? This would be a decent signing in January if we've exhausted all other options but not now.

I've been the biggest Wren supporter over the years but I'm starting to really question his decision making.
    Who says this option would be there in January. This is an option for depth. Something our rotation has needed a lot the past two seasons. We have a really good 1-5 imo with Wood and Beachy at the back end. But the chances of them staying healthy all year is pretty slim. There aren't any SPs available that are clear upgrades over what we have unless we want to blow the farm for Price which isn't going to happen.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    We need rotational depth. Floyd is that. Can't really complain about this move at all. Braves cannot have guys like Cameron Loe and Freddy Garcia having a big role in the stretch run.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Really don't know why or how people can complain about this move. He's really good depth.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Can't really complain about this move at all.
    ... until terms are finalized/released. It's not outside of the realm of possibility that Floyd could get over $5MM base, with incentives. Not a particularly crazy number, but I guarantee people will still flip out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Btw if our rotation is Medlen, Minor, Beachy, Teheran and Wood that would be an all-home grown rotation. I can't think of the last time that happened. We always had a guy like Leibrandt who came from another organization.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    If this is a depth move and were still in the market for a Samrdzija type then it's a good move. But if this is it for the rotatin it's questionable.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    @jcrasnick: Gavin Floyd has passed physical and agreed to deal with #braves. He'll make $4M base and can earn $4.5M more in incentives.
    [ http://twitter.com/jcrasnick/status/412617227074953216 ]

@jcrasnick: There's no club option for 2015 in Floyd's deal with #braves. Contract includes performance and roster bonuses.
    [ http://twitter.com/jcrasnick/status/412617888357285888 ]
    Last edited by Hawk; 12-16-2013 at 11:19 AM.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    I hope with that kind of money he's ready in May, because if he isn't that's a lot of $ for a guy who can't pitch half the year.

Playing the Waiting Game Krovahn's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    @jcrasnick: Gavin Floyd has passed physical and agreed to deal with #braves. He'll make $4M base and can earn $4.5M more in incentives.
    [ http://twitter.com/jcrasnick/status/412617227074953216 ]

@jcrasnick: There's no club option for 2015 in Floyd's deal with #braves. Contract includes performance and roster bonuses.
    [ http://twitter.com/jcrasnick/status/412617888357285888 ]
    More than I would have liked, but, not bad if he is healthy and can produce to career norms or better.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    $4M-$8.5M is not a depth move for a team with payroll constraints like the Braves. If Floyd is Hudson's replacement in the rotation, and Gamel is the power off the bench, then these are not good enough additions. That $8.5M figure is probably the money Wren had slated to resign Hudson to a 1 year deal.

It looks like Wren is not going to fix 2B, and has made bargain bin reclamation project additions (Floyd, EOF/Venters, Gamel) to fill the other areas of need (rotation depth, BP arms, bench bat). This is shaping up to be a very poor offseason where Wren doesn't adequately fill any of the needs this team has.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 12-16-2013 at 11:29 AM.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    About $1MM under what I predicted, although wasn't expecting the incentives to be quite so lucrative.

This isn't a poor signing by any stretch of the imagination, but I can't help but feel rather ill at ease about it.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Likely means that Wren will be waiting until the trade deadline to do anything larger, if then.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    Solid move. Floyd was worth an average of 3.2 fWAR per season. and 3.3 rWAR.

Obviously with him out until July or so he won't touch that. If he winds up at a 1.7 WAR he'll be well worth it.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg