Page 4 of 154 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Legal/scotus thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    As a moderate conservative with libertarian leanings, I'm happy with the selection of Kavanaugh. I think he'll be a bit more conservative than Roberts but not as conservative as Thomas, Alito, and Gorsuch. Not that conventional liberal-conservative categories are always a useful way of looking at the issues that come before the court. Certainly, in terms of credentials, intellect and temperament, Kavanaugh seems to be well qualified. I would say the same of candidates that were not located at the same point in the political spectrum if they met the requirements. Garland was well qualified. Gorsuch too.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    As a moderate conservative with libertarian leanings, I'm happy with the selection of Kavanaugh. I think he'll be a bit more conservative than Roberts but not as conservative as Thomas, Alito, and Gorsuch. Not that conventional liberal-conservative categories are always a useful way of looking at the issues that come before the court. Certainly, in terms of credentials, intellect and temperament, Kavanaugh seems to be well qualified. I would say the same of candidates that were not located at the same point in the political spectrum if they met the requirements. Garland was well qualified. Gorsuch too.
    Shouldn't all appointments be conservative due to the Constitution being inherently conservative?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (07-10-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Shouldn't all appointments be conservative due to the Constitution being inherently conservative?
    If I were nominating them, yes. But let's be real here. And I wouldn't call someone unqualified just because they have somewhat different views from me.

As a broad observation, I do think the courts have gotten involved in making decisions on matters that should be settled in the political arena. And this has been to the detriment of the courts and our political system generally.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 07-10-2018 at 10:21 AM.

"I am your retribution."

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Jaw (07-10-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Of the supposed frontrunners, he was my least favorite due to his ties to the Starr investigation and the GWB administration. I was hoping for Hardiman.

Agreed with nsacpi that he is very well qualified.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I don't think there's any question that any of the shortlist candidates were "qualified." I just don't think it's worth overlooking the fact that this will be the second SC Justice nominated by a president who lost the popular vote, and approved by a Senate who represents a minority of the population. All legal and above-board, yes, but it's worth asking whether we're being governed, in this case, by the minority. That fact makes me look a tad more favorably on the generally ****ty resistance tactics to judicial nominees.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    I don't think there's any question that any of the shortlist candidates were "qualified." I just don't think it's worth overlooking the fact that this will be the second SC Justice nominated by a president who lost the popular vote, and approved by a Senate who represents a minority of the population. All legal and above-board, yes, but it's worth asking whether we're being governed, in this case, by the minority. That fact makes me look a tad more favorably on the generally ****ty resistance tactics to judicial nominees.
    I wonder what the Jill Stein voters have to say. And the Bernie supporters who stayed home or voted for Trump. I voted for Hilary with great fervor even though ideologically I'm quite some distance from her. I'm come to feel entitled to a certain amount of anger at the people on the left who couldn't bring themselves to do the same.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 07-10-2018 at 04:49 PM.

"I am your retribution."

9. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

goldfly (07-10-2018)

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    the constitution was a radical left wing idea at the time it was created

to say it was "inherently conservative" is hilarious
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post

it will only get worse as more people move to cities for work and thus giving no challengers to the uninhabited land vote areas imo
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    exactly

"inherently conservative"

lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    I wonder what the Jill Stein voters have to say. And the Bernie supporters who stayed home or voted for Trump. I voted for Hilary with great fervor even though ideologically I'm quite some distance from her. I'm come to feel entitled to a certain amount of anger at the people on the left who couldn't bring themselves to do the same.
    If you lean - as you say - libertarian, and also support judges like Kavenough, I am puzzled why you would have wished the election gone differently.

Policy-wise, Trump's the closest to libertarian as we've had in decades (though - decidedly not libertarian in aggregate), and he has put on two judges that you appear to favor and will long outlast Trump - which HRC almost certainly would have gone decisively opposite of.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (07-11-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    exactly

"inherently conservative"

lol
    dude... i don't know what you think of when you hear the word "conservative"... but i think of "limited government"

if you want to make the argument it is the opposite of that, then I reiterate my lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    I truly cannot understand this meltdown on the left. I get it that you don't want a conservative judge, but the hyperbole makes them sound like petulant children without a grip on reality. These are seemingly well-read folks who are, once again, assuring us all the end of the world is upon us.

Here's a section from Yale alum regarding Yale issuing a press release about the announcement.

Judge Kavanaugh’s nomination presents an emergency — for democratic life, for our safety and freedom, for the future of our country.
    If I quoted all of the "world is ending" hysteria I've seen on twitter since yesterday, this thread would have as many pages as the Russia one. A couple more from the Yale letter

Without a doubt, Judge Kavanaugh is a threat to the most vulnerable. He is a threat to many of us, despite the privilege bestowed by our education, simply because of who we are.
    But people will die if he is confirmed.
    Last edited by sturg33; 07-10-2018 at 09:05 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    https://www.thenation.com/article/br...president-law/

This is a big reason he was picked. Also Kennedy made Trump promise to pick one of his former law clerks to replace him.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    No doubt Cajun

The march to fascism continues with no end in sight cause republicans have betrayed the country

And I’m shocked to see who came to it’s defense as usual.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    If you lean - as you say - libertarian, and also support judges like Kavenough, I am puzzled why you would have wished the election gone differently.

Policy-wise, Trump's the closest to libertarian as we've had in decades (though - decidedly not libertarian in aggregate), and he has put on two judges that you appear to favor and will long outlast Trump - which HRC almost certainly would have gone decisively opposite of.
    some things trump policy and ideology

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    I truly cannot understand this meltdown on the left. I get it that you don't want a conservative judge, but the hyperbole makes them sound like petulant children without a grip on reality. These are seemingly well-read folks who are, once again, assuring us all the end of the world is upon us.

Here's a section from Yale alum regarding Yale issuing a press release about the announcement.

If I quoted all of the "world is ending" hysteria I've seen on twitter since yesterday, this thread would have as many pages as the Russia one. A couple more from the Yale letter
    what's new...go back and read the initial reaction to David Souter's appointment by Ted Kennedy...yes David Souter...you have to appreciate Kabuki Theater for what it is

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    what's new...go back and read the initial reaction to David Souter's appointment by Ted Kennedy...yes David Souter...you have to appreciate Kabuki Theater for what it is
    That reminds me of an article that did a nice job of summarizing the Supreme Court environment, and how we got here. David Souter is featured prominently:

https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...p-court-218953
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    That reminds me of an article that did a nice job of summarizing the Supreme Court environment, and how we got here. David Souter is featured prominently:

https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...p-court-218953
    I remember the Souter confirmation battle quite well. There was the predictable outcry from everyone on the left. But...there was one prominent liberal Democratic senator who after meeting with Souter said this guy might be all right. Anyone remember who that senator was?

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    No doubt Cajun

The march to fascism continues with no end in sight cause republicans have betrayed the country

And I’m shocked to see who came to it’s defense as usual.
    My first post was criticizing the pick

Man you're dumb