Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Angels close to acquiring Kyle Kubitza from Braves

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    I know I'm in the minority in here, but I really really really like what Hart and JC have accomplished so far this offseason in building for the future and restructuring and rebuilding player development and focus on that. 2015 will most likely be tough to watch, but I'm excited about the future...although I will say I'm not completely sold on the Upton deal, think Hart overplayed his hand and lost a little there...but overall I'm happy.

The ManBan trade and this trade have just been outstanding. Now, they may not work out in the end, but the upside is potentially huge. And at this stage of the game, we need to be taking gambles like this.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Millwood1Hitter For This Useful Post:

clvclv (01-09-2015), Tapate50 (01-09-2015), thethe (01-09-2015), UNCBlue012 (01-09-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,901 Posts
    I enjoy following rico's MILB threads almost as much as the MLB team, and to this year we should have plenty to follow. I know its not the MLB club, but still exciting when there are players making waves. Last year aside from Peraza, we haven't had that.
    Ivermectin Man

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Millwood1Hitter View Post
    I know I'm in the minority in here, but I really really really like what Hart and JC have accomplished so far this offseason in building for the future and restructuring and rebuilding player development and focus on that. 2015 will most likely be tough to watch, but I'm excited about the future...although I will say I'm not completely sold on the Upton deal, think Hart overplayed his hand and lost a little there...but overall I'm happy.

The ManBan trade and this trade have just been outstanding. Now, they may not work out in the end, but the upside is potentially huge. And at this stage of the game, we need to be taking gambles like this.
    Same, regarding the Upton deal, no one knows if a Walker/Bundy type was even available.

Teams arent gonna trade top prospects for one year rentals.

In all though, i do like what they have done, but if we get fluke years for a couple players on offense, i think we could play spoiler all year.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Yeah, I'm on board with this one, too. It seems counterintuitive to trade from an area where we have so little depth (3B and hitting in general), but I like the higher upside that we brought back. I'm amazed that the kid is so young when I watch the video. He looks smooth and strong.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts

2015 may be tougher than some years to watch, but it can't be anywhere close to 1988....that season was BRUTAL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gcbraves View Post
    2015 may be tougher than some years to watch, but it can't be anywhere close to 1988....that season was BRUTAL!
    Last year was awful as well.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,901 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    It really was.

I can come to grips with not having a talented team. But having a lot of talented hitters on a team and still watching them not scoring runs was just brutal.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    New Fangraphs article on Sanchez acquisition. Opening paragraph below to wet your appetite.

"It came as a bit of a surprise to see that the Angels sent teenage lefty Ricardo Sanchez to Atlanta in exchange for Kyle Kubitza (whom Kiley will write up shortly) and Nate Hyatt. Not that Sanchez is so talented that he should be deemed untouchable, it’s simply rare to see someone so young (Sanchez doesn’t turn 18 until April) be moved. While Sanchez lacks the upside of your typical on-the-radar teenager, he’s a fine prospect nonetheless and one whose polish could have him moving quickly. In combination with the other deals this offseason where the Braves have added prospects, their farm is quickly moving into the top half of baseball and maybe into the top 10."

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/sanch...prospect-haul/

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dak For This Useful Post:

CrimsonCowboy (01-09-2015), Tapate50 (01-09-2015), thethe (01-09-2015), UNCBlue012 (01-09-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    New Fangraphs article on Sanchez acquisition. Opening paragraph below to wet your appetite.

"It came as a bit of a surprise to see that the Angels sent teenage lefty Ricardo Sanchez to Atlanta in exchange for Kyle Kubitza (whom Kiley will write up shortly) and Nate Hyatt. Not that Sanchez is so talented that he should be deemed untouchable, it’s simply rare to see someone so young (Sanchez doesn’t turn 18 until April) be moved. While Sanchez lacks the upside of your typical on-the-radar teenager, he’s a fine prospect nonetheless and one whose polish could have him moving quickly. In combination with the other deals this offseason where the Braves have added prospects, their farm is quickly moving into the top half of baseball and maybe into the top 10."

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/sanch...prospect-haul/
    Thats where the organization needs to be. This influx of talent has really accelerate the rebuilding process. It would have been a disaster to let Upton/Heyward walk (which is what would have happened) for only comp picks. Yes, we are going to have to endure a bad season but there was no chance in my mind that we were winning with the team that we ended up with in 2014.
    Natural Immunity Croc

12. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

Heyward (01-09-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    It really was.

I can come to grips with not having a talented team. But having a lot of talented hitters on a team and still watching them not scoring runs was just brutal.
    First year in the last 10+ years that I didn't watch a majority of Brave games. At a certain point I just stopped watching and just looked at scores the next day.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,901 Posts
    First year in the last 10+ years that I didn't watch a majority of Brave games. At a certain point I just stopped watching and just looked at scores the next day.
    I can probably say the same. Last year was miserable.
    Ivermectin Man

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    Thats where the organization needs to be. This influx of talent has really accelerate the rebuilding process. It would have been a disaster to let Upton/Heyward walk (which is what would have happened) for only comp picks. Yes, we are going to have to endure a bad season but there was no chance in my mind that we were winning with the team that we ended up with in 2014.
    Exactly my thoughts all along, that shipped had sailed and that window was closed for the team as was currently constructed. There needed to be changes, and yes, we could have patched a few areas of need and made another run at it, but it was never going to legitamtely work and just delay the enevitable. Combine that with the fact of the possibility of losing both Upton or Heyward, or even one, would be potentially devestating and set the franchise back a decade especially considering with the new stadium opening in 2017, and that just could not happen.

And last year was the most FRUSTRATED that I have ever been with a Braves team. To me, even watching them on opening day, that team was dead to me and even with the good April, I knew it was not going to be a good year. We've had worse teams (record wise and roster wise) but to me nothing was worse than what I watched last year. Maybe it was because expecations going into the year were relatively high, I don't know, but the team was just absolutely lifeless.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Millwood1Hitter For This Useful Post:

Heyward (01-09-2015), Tapate50 (01-09-2015), thethe (01-09-2015), UNCBlue012 (01-09-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,901 Posts
    From the comments of the article (i have no clue if this is true or not):

A Baseball America article said that Sanchez threw 94-95 in early AZ league games but the Angels’ pitching coaches told him to back off the velo to help him develop command and his other pitches.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Exactly my thoughts all along, that shipped had sailed and that window was closed for the team as was currently constructed. There needed to be changes, and yes, we could have patched a few areas of need and made another run at it, but it was never going to legitamtely work and just delay the enevitable. Combine that with the fact of the possibility of losing both Upton or Heyward, or even one, would be potentially devestating and set the franchise back a decade especially considering with the new stadium opening in 2017, and that just could not happen.

And last year was the most FRUSTRATED that I have ever been with a Braves team. To me, even watching them on opening day, that team was dead to me and even with the good April, I knew it was not going to be a good year. We've had worse teams (record wise and roster wise) but to me nothing was worse than what I watched last year. Maybe it was because expecations going into the year were relatively high, I don't know, but the team was just absolutely lifeless.
    I'm excited about the prospect of seeing Shelby Miller develop as well as Banuelos getting a chance to show what he has. I think we will see some early returns on the Upton deal as well with Peterson getting a good deal of playing time this year.

Again, we are going to lose a lot of games but at this point I am re-upping my mlb.tv package. I was not going to do it at the end of last season.

Can't wait to follow the farm system this year as well! Its a big year for you RICO!!!!
    Last edited by thethe; 01-09-2015 at 11:29 AM.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    Yes it was, but it wasn't 1988!

The difference in the years is that in 1988 we knew it would be awful, but that was planned...numerous players who would go on to be on the early "90s teams were getting their learning curves out of the way. 2014 coming off a division title we expected to contend, did for a while, but reality caught up with us. If the results of being down in 2015 are near the same as it was back then it will be worth it. Of course that is the big, yet to be answered question. Will it be?

Still, I would take a record of 79-83 over 54-106 any day!

I do agree with Millwood....last season was by far the most frustrating one in a very long time.
    Last edited by gcbraves; 01-09-2015 at 11:38 AM.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    Honesty compels me to report 1988 wasn't all bad. We had our first child that summer. So it was a very good year!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to gcbraves For This Useful Post:

thethe (01-09-2015)

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    I am glad Hart and co are rebuilding the farm system.

That is a big first step moving forward.

Now it isnt a top 5 system or anything but in a few years they could have some MAJOR trade chips to use down the line.

ANd who knows who they draft with the two draft picks.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    This is why I'm so perplexed when I see people around here doubt we're all-in on him. Does anyone seriously think giving Moncada $40 million (or substantially more if need be) is an issue? We're currently more than $12.5 million BELOW last season's opening day payroll number, and are free of Uggla's commitment after this season.

There's $25.5 million of what's needed WITHOUT another trade BEFORE spending any payroll increases that will be forthcoming.
    It's not just the $40M bonus, it's the 100% penalty tax on that bonus for going over the international limit. It is going to cost the Braves upwards of $80M if they want to sign Moncada. I can't imagine there's any real possibility of that happening.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    Our rotation going forward could be potentially devastating...I'm excited to see it materialize and develop. And while we may not have 3 future HOFer's in the rotation going forward, every slot could be filled by a potential power arm and that could pay dividends in October once we get the roster fully assembled and put together a team that can contend.

I think Shelby Miller is going to be our present day John Smoltz...yes I said that outloud, criticize me all you want.

We already have Tehran and Wood, and know what they are capable of, and they are still young and I don't believe that they have reached their true potential yet. Minor had a bad year last year, but before his injury problems last year, showed glimpses and was one of the better starters in the game for 1.5 seasons and will be a solid middle of the rotation guy...but I expect him once he rebounds and rebuilds value to be moved in season to a contender for a potential haul. Add in guys like Jenkins, ManBan, Fried, Winkler, and now this trade and it's intriguing! Reminds me of the late 80's and early 90's when we had so much pitching talent that came up and graduated and made an impact at the MLB level. Obviously Smoltz and Glavine we're great for so many years, but we had Avery, Green, Wohlers, McMichael, Mercker, Smith, Stanton, & Freeman who also made contributions in some form or another...and the pipeline kept flowing developing potential talent that had a direct impact (ie Millwood, Rocker, etc) or was used to acquire other needs at the time.

John Hart literally had the WS trophy taken out of his hand in Game 7 in 1997. He assembled maybe the greatest offensive talent that we have ever witnessed, but failed to put together a formiable pitching staff especially one with a legit ace to matchup against the likes of the Maddux's, Smoltz's, Glavine's, Cone's, Brown's etc. and I think this time he is deadset on making sure that this potential future run doesn't end that way and is taking an opposite approach to the one that he had back in that day...and considering that this organization is good at developing talent pitching wise is probably the smart approach to take in the first place.

Trust me, there is going to be a time here in the future, when Hart makes a splash and acquires offense. And some of that pitching we have stockpiled will be used to do so, as well as I think we will be players in the free agent market going forward as well.
    Last edited by Millwood1Hitter; 01-09-2015 at 11:56 AM.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Our rotation going forward could be potentially devastating...I'm excited to see it materialize and develop. And while we may not have 3 future HOFer's in the rotation going forward, every slot could be filled by a potential power arm and that could pay dividends in October once we get the roster fully assembled and put together a team that can contend.

I think Shelby Miller is going to be our present day John Smoltz...yes I said that outloud, criticize me all you want.

We already have Tehran and Wood, and know what they are capable of, and they are still young and I don't believe that they have reached their true potential yet. Minor had a bad year last year, but before his injury problems last year, showed glimpses and was one of the better starters in the game for 1.5 seasons and will be a solid middle of the rotation guy...but I expect him once he rebounds and rebuilds value to be moved in season to a contender for a potential haul.

John Hart literally had the WS trophy taken out of his hand in Game 7 in 1997. He assembled maybe the greatest offensive talent that we have ever witnessed, but failed to put together a formiable pitching staff especially one with a legit ace to matchup against the likes of the Maddux's, Smoltz's, Glavine's, Cone's, Brown's etc. and I think this time he is deadset on making sure that this potential future run doesn't end that way and is taking an opposite approach to the one that he had back in that day...and considering that this organization is good at developing talent pitching wise is probably the smart approach to take in the first place.

Trust me, there is going to be a time here in the future, when Hart makes a splash and acquires offense. And some of that pitching we have stockpiled will be used to do so, as well as I think we will be players in the free agent market going forward as well.
    Good post but the FA hitters market until 2017 looks quite bleak.

Unless we get in on JUp or Jason in FA next winter.