Page 23 of 35 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 DRAFT Signing Tracker ... FINAL, JULY 15

Still Playing the Waiting Game DaneHill's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    Uh oh, Anthony may not be a Brave after all. Tweets saying the Braves withdrew the offer to him due to a "miscalculation of budget"? Wow if true. Would guess that means Anderson's playing hard ball. So to speak.
    Last edited by DaneHill; 06-24-2016 at 04:34 PM.

Still Playing the Waiting Game bravos4evr's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    Kind of a bonehead move. How does this happen? I have supported the majority of the FO's moves so far, but if true, man this reeks of amatueur night
    "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"- Tom Waits

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I'm assuming we have correspondents posted up in sandwich shops throughout greater Atlanta to try to get the real story.

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

BoneThrower (06-25-2016), bravos4evr (06-24-2016), Coach_Chris (06-24-2016), dak (06-24-2016), DaneHill (06-24-2016), Garmel (06-24-2016), jpx7 (06-24-2016), Tapate50 (06-24-2016), The Chosen One (06-24-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    I'm assuming we have correspondents posted up in sandwich shops throughout greater Atlanta to try to get the real story.
    O' Heavenly Ham is now out as a source after Fredi got axed. Man that was a hot source! :-p

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    I wonder if Neslony had initially agreed to a deal like Mooney's, then changed his mind and wanted something closer to what Gonzalez got after his tournament performance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravos4evr View Post
    How does this happen?
    I think we just have to keep the faith that this FO knows a lot more about baseball than any of us do and that it is a gold standard organization that knows what it is doing.

Still Playing the Waiting Game DaneHill's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    I'm on it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I think we just have to keep the faith that this FO knows a lot more about baseball than any of us do and that it is a gold standard organization that knows what it is doing.
    I always wonder why so many fans do this. I don't think they know more than I do, they just have a better job than I do! I suspect many fans would do better jobs than many FO's if given the opportunity. (not saying I would, I'm terrible with other human beings) But to just assume they all know what's best ..... well i just don't buy into that. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. I suspect that D-Backs fans would lean toward the latter right about now.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    I always wonder why so many fans do this. I don't think they know more than I do, they just have a better job than I do! I suspect many fans would do better jobs than many FO's if given the opportunity. (not saying I would, I'm terrible with other human beings) But to just assume they all know what's best ..... well i just don't buy into that. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. I suspect that D-Backs fans would lean toward the latter right about now.
    4evr: You make a lot of good points, and I like your posts, but in this case I disagree. They have contacts, access to data, and the ability to mine and interpret it in a way that we as fans just don't.

There are a lot of people on this board who really know a lot, and I come here several times a day because of the things I can learn about Baseball and the Braves that I would not otherwise know, but to say that most people on here know as much as the FO? A very few know enough to really judge what they do, and most of those don't question much because they know there is more to the equation than we are aware of.

JMHO

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mfree80 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (06-24-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,324 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaneHill View Post
    Uh oh, Anthony may not be a Brave after all. Tweets saying the Braves withdrew the offer to him due to a "miscalculation of budget"? Wow if true. Would guess that means Anderson's playing hard ball. So to speak.
    I saw that on an Auburn board. I wouldn't be surprised if it was made up by ticked off Tiger fans.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    4evr: You make a lot of good points, and I like your posts, but in this case I disagree. They have contacts, access to data, and the ability to mine and interpret it in a way that we as fans just don't.

There are a lot of people on this board who really know a lot, and I come here several times a day because of the things I can learn about Baseball and the Braves that I would not otherwise know, but to say that most people on here know as much as the FO? A very few know enough to really judge what they do, and most of those don't question much because they know there is more to the equation than we are aware of.

JMHO
    well, I didn't say " most" or "on here" I was speaking in much broader terms,(as I wasn't 'calling out' the Braves FO either, just speaking in general) we have all seen GM's make moves that were just dumb, so dumb that anyone should have seen that coming. (cough cugh D-Backs) so I just don't buy into the idea that front office people are these master baseball gurus. They are just people, and prone to all the foibles and biases of all people.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Strange situation with Anthony. If he signed a contract, the Braves can't nullify it by saying they miscalculated.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    well, I didn't say " most" or "on here" I was speaking in much broader terms,(as I wasn't 'calling out' the Braves FO either, just speaking in general) we have all seen GM's make moves that were just dumb, so dumb that anyone should have seen that coming. (cough cugh D-Backs) so I just don't buy into the idea that front office people are these master baseball gurus. They are just people, and prone to all the foibles and biases of all people.
    You did kind of call out those who tend to trust the FO to make good decisions.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    They may not have better judgment, but they have better knowledge and experience.

The stuff we do - analyzing stats and players, etc. - for a few hours a week in our spare time, those guys do all year long somewhere between 40-80 hrs per week. Plus they have access to honest opinions/ evaluation from scouts that we don't have. And that does matter, as numbers can lie if a player doesn't have the base level of athletic ability to translate his success to the big leagues. That said, even the best baseball people are still prone to screw ups.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to DirkPiggler For This Useful Post:

clvclv (06-24-2016)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    And you're still wrong.

These people have access to FAR MORE information than you'll ever have - it really is that simple. If you want to be the smartest person in the room, you get access to and analyze the most data. That way, you're right more often than the rest of the people in the room. You also invite input from as many other "smart" people as you can.

The front office is a group of "smart" people with loads more information than we have, and they each have varying opinions that get talked through until they come to a consensus.

Don't confuse being smart with being intelligent - there are lots of intelligent people who do stupid things without taking the time to consider all the angles or to consult with other intelligent people before acting (or opening their mouths) - see Trump, Donald.
    Last edited by clvclv; 06-24-2016 at 06:18 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garmel View Post
    I saw that on an Auburn board. I wouldn't be surprised if it was made up by ticked off Tiger fans.
    FWIW, there is a Tweet on his account that says "War Eagle".
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

20. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

Garmel (06-24-2016)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Strange situation with Anthony. If he signed a contract, the Braves can't nullify it by saying they miscalculated.
    He responded to someone on Twitter saying he hasn't taken a physical - my guess (and it's strictly that) is that that would keep the deal from being official.

Whatever the case, I sure would like to see an Anderson signing reported. Then we can worry about everything else sorting itself out.
    Last edited by clvclv; 06-24-2016 at 06:38 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    You did kind of call out those who tend to trust the FO to make good decisions.
    I didn't mean it that way, I was more making an "in general" comment and used that post as an excuse to do so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    And you're still wrong.

These people have access to FAR MORE information than you'll ever have - it really is that simple. If you want to be the smartest person in the room, you get access to and analyze the most data. That way, you're right more often than the rest of the people in the room. You also invite input from as many other "smart" people as you can.

The front office is a group of "smart" people with loads more information than we have, and they each have varying opinions that get talked through until they come to a consensus.

Don't confuse being smart with being intelligent - there are lots of intelligent people who do stupid things without taking the time to consider all the angles or to consult with other intelligent people before acting (or opening their mouths) - see Trump, Donald.
    and yet they still make dumb decisions sometimes. Just like the rest of us. I just don't buy the idea that because someone is in a baseball front office they automatically know more than any of us do about baseball.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    anyway, back on topic, do we have confirmation on this Anthony thing or is all just rumor at this point?