Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Chipper Jones picked the Dodgers to win in 4.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory ChapelHillMatt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Yeah, that "lack of character" comment is a joke.
    Lying is wrong, plain and simple.

And more than that, if you are a homer and predict your team to win every series they play in you lose credibility and no one can take you seriously. There is absolutely nothing with with being objective. I don't care if you did play with these guys a year ago. He doesn't play for them now so he's not obligated to think they can win every game they play.
    Last edited by ChapelHillMatt; 10-10-2013 at 05:24 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ChapelHillMatt For This Useful Post:

TXBravesFan (10-10-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,521 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChapelHillMatt View Post
    Lying is wrong, plain and simple.

And more than that, if you are a homer and predict your team to win every series they play in you lose credibility and no one can take you seriously. There is absolutely nothing with with being objective. I don't care if you did play with these guys a year ago. He doesn't play for them now so he's not obligated to think they can win every game they play.
    So, by your rationale, if Chipper was still playing for the team and didn't think they could win then he should admit to that if pressed.

Because, lying is wrong. Amirite?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    When he's still playing for the team he's not an impartial observer, nobody would be asking for his prediction or analysis of the series. Stop being silly, you guys are the one's saying he should lie and not give his honest opinion on the series just because he played for them a year ago. Why is lying ok?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,521 Posts
    When he's still playing for the team he's not an impartial observer, nobody would be asking for his prediction or analysis of the series. Stop being silly, you guys are the one's saying he should lie and not give his honest opinion on the series just because he played for them a year ago. Why is lying ok?
    People ask players for their opinions on upcoming series all of the time. What are you talking about? The question would be worded differently, sure. But, it's still basically the same questions.

And you're forgetting that, from what I understand, no one actually asked Chipper for his prediction of the Dodgers series. They were asking him about the American League and he just came right out and said it.

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Matt really talked himself into a corner on this one.

Creepy Lurking Stalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by holden View Post
    Matt really talked himself into a corner on this one.
    I am disappointed that Fredi Gonzalez let this happen. It seems like he can't get this team in line.. from his handling of the Fernandez/Gomez situations, to leaving Uggla of the Roster, to not using Kimbrel, Harper, the Pendelton/Johnson... just seems like a lot of things Fredi is addressing rather poorly because they continue to happen

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dvdrulez For This Useful Post:

Mrs. Meta (10-10-2013), The Chosen One (10-10-2013), thethe (10-10-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by holden View Post
    LOL

excellent post, my friend. you linked to an article whose thesis can be summarized as "i can't believe everyone is supporting the braves' actions!" did you even read the article or did your dumbass just do a google search?

here is a quote from that article:

again, LOL at you.

here's another post from fangraphs: the persnickety atlanta braves

and a relevant quote:

seriously, just STFU, lest i own you again
    If you followed him on twitter you would know he's referring to the brave followers he has, not people in baseball. He was RT'ing them all night. Also what does fangraphs have to with what I posted? It says in the part you quoted that what McCann did was over the top....isn't that what my point was?

Thanks for proving my point.
    The Atlanta Braves signed Nick Markakis for 4/45 - Never forget 12/3/2014

"Klay Thompson > James Harden" - Heyward

"Chris Bosh is the MVP of the Miami Heat" - Heyward

"Hibbert is better than Dwight Howard"- Heyward

"Steven Adams will be a top 10 center in two years - thethe

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Chipper could have been more diplomatic. Could have something like, "Tough series. Dodgers are a very good team. Great pitching. We'll have to play well to win."

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

DaneHill (10-10-2013), Garmel (10-10-2013), Mrs. Meta (10-10-2013), The Chosen One (10-10-2013), thethe (10-10-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Chipper could have been more diplomatic. Could have something like, "Tough series. Dodgers are a very good team. Great pitching. We'll have to play well to win."
    Agreed but I still think the Braves acted like babies.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    So, by your rationale, if Chipper was still playing for the team and didn't think they could win then he should admit to that if pressed.

Because, lying is wrong. Amirite?
    Have you ever competed in a sport where you didn't think you would win? I sure have. I played against a team in high school that had a first round draft pick starter plus the 9th pick in the draft (a SS). 85% of the team played college ball. Not one player on our team played higher than Division 3 baseball. We had 3 starters out and our ace had pitched a couple day prior so we had a freshman starter. Just an example of one game that I didn't think we would win. But, we played our ass off and won. I dont see the problem with being honest with yourself is. I'm sure Chipper was rooting as hard as he could for the Braves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    Have you ever competed in a sport where you didn't think you would win? I sure have. I played against a team in high school that had a first round draft pick starter plus the 9th pick in the draft (a SS). 85% of the team played college ball. Not one player on our team played higher than Division 3 baseball. We had 3 starters out and our ace had pitched a couple day prior so we had a freshman starter. Just an example of one game that I didn't think we would win. But, we played our ass off and won. I dont see the problem with being honest with yourself is. I'm sure Chipper was rooting as hard as he could for the Braves.
    You played baseball?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    People ask players for their opinions on upcoming series all of the time. What are you talking about? The question would be worded differently, sure. But, it's still basically the same questions.

And you're forgetting that, from what I understand, no one actually asked Chipper for his prediction of the Dodgers series. They were asking him about the American League and he just came right out and said it.
    I didn't hear the interview so I don't know whether he gave his prediction voluntarily or they asked him but it doesn't matter, he's fully within his right to pick whoever he wants to pick. He has no tie to the Braves organization right now. When he's playing he obviously wouldn't pick against his own team since he can influence the outcome. As an outsider/observer he can offer an unbiased opinion based on what he's seen this year. It's a credit to him that he could give an honest assessment instead of a biased one. Once again there was nothing wrong with what he did. I hope he does it again in the future, then when he picks the Braves to win a postseason series we'll be able to take it more seriously than we would have if he always picks the Braves. That's generally how it works. There is nothing worse than a bunch of homers hyping up their team when they don't deserve it.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,324 Posts
    When your wife asks you, "Does this dress make me fat?" and you think it does do you tell her the truth? Are you that honest? Hell no. I bet you would lie like the rest of us. Sometimes you do have to tell little white lies to get along with others.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    Speaking of impartial observer, whatever happened to that interestedobserver dude? He owes me $4 over the Freeman/Davis debate....

18. The Following User Says Thank You to chopdrew For This Useful Post:

Mrs. Meta (10-10-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chopdrew View Post
    Speaking of impartial observer, whatever happened to that interestedobserver dude? He owes me $4 over the Freeman/Davis debate....

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

Mrs. Meta (10-10-2013)

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    Chipper has every right to give his unedited opinion, but he shouldn't expect everyone to be okay with it because he's Chipper Jones. I'm a little surprised he wasn't expecting some back lash.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chopdrew View Post

I believe he died.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to BedellBrave For This Useful Post:

Mrs. Meta (10-10-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,297 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BedellBrave View Post
    I believe he died.
    Yeah there was a thread in the pulpit saying he had passed.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Truth be known, I didn't think that the Braves matched up well against the Dodgers or Cards. That made the home field advantage all the more important. The Braves matched up much better against the Pirates or Reds. Then, there could've been some built-up confidence by winning a playoff series. One of L.A. or St. Louis gets knocked off, and hopefully the winner of that series might've been fatigued from facing the stiff competition in the early round. Alas, it didn't work out that way.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Knucksie For This Useful Post:

bravesnumberone (10-10-2013)

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BRule View Post
    If you followed him on twitter you would know he's referring to the brave followers he has, not people in baseball. He was RT'ing them all night. Also what does fangraphs have to with what I posted? It says in the part you quoted that what McCann did was over the top....isn't that what my point was?

Thanks for proving my point.
    nah, sorry, you got owned