Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: In this thread, we decode gilesfan's rules for being a true fan of a sports team.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithLockhart View Post
    So gilesfan, what are the rules for this upcoming BCS Championship game?

Can a fan of another SEC team root for a fellow SEC team, or do they have to root against AU because their team would normally be a rival to AU?

Are we allowed to root for FSU just because we'd like to root against AU, and vice versa?
    Rooting for a team in a game is different than claiming to be a fan of a team.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CK86 View Post
    My mother sells insurance and her client is Duke University. I have been given apparel since I was 2. I have been to several games, home and away. Am I allowed to be a fan?

I lived in the Bay Area but was unable to go to a game due to the NBA lockout. Am I allowed to root for the Golden State Warriors?

I have no ties to Houston. I didn't have a team that I rooted for in the NFL so I picked them when they were announced as an expansion team. Am I allowed to root for them since I've been a fan of theirs since the franchise was created?
    Pretty weak affiliation if you ask me.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    You would think it would be stupid. Here in Cola, SC every gamecock fan I know will root for every SEC team as long as they aren't playing the gamecocks. You'd be amazed how many 'we have won so many national championships' I hear. As if Alabama and auburn fans say 'we won the NCAA baseball chsmpionship'
    I am enjoying Auburn in the National Championship game after all the years of SEC fans ripping on how Oregon plays football. Then Auburn shows up and wins the SEC with a similar style of offense. LOLzzzzz

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Challenge? That's a life sentence!

Here's my story and I am sticking to it. My primary foci of sports admiration are the Atlanta Braves, Green Bay Packers, and the Minnesota Gophers. Why? I am 60 years old and those three teams were the first teams I cheered for (the Braves were in Milwaukee and on the local radio stations). The Vikings and Twins arrived in Minnesota in 1961, but my loyalties were already solidified. Those loyalties became further hardened as my quisling older brother switched his loyalties to the incoming teams and heated indoor arguments and backyard mayhem commenced regarding the comparative virtues of Hank Aaron as opposed to Harmon Killebrew and Bart Starr in comparison to Fran Tarkenton. We somehow put our differences aside to cheer for the Gophers. I briefly toyed with the idea of switching football allegiances to the Nebraska Cornhuskers during the Devaney/Osborne-led glory years, but I couldn't pull the trigger.

Having been a fan of these franchises through some pretty sorry periods that seemed like eons (in the case of the Minnesota Gophers, it is an eon), I have had my opportunity to bolt, but simply cannot do it. It's just how I'm wired.
    There is a real fan if you ask me.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yogi44 View Post
    So let me see if I have this straight. I live in NC. I have been watching the Braves since 70's, assuming they were on the Sat game of the week (most my age know that was almost never). Otherwise, I'd use a transistor radio or go sit in the car and try to pick up the nearest feed. When we finally got cable, and TBS carried the Braves, I continued and was thrilled. In the 80's I was able to finally get some games in at Fulton Co Stadium. Never went more than once a year, but about 6 of the 10 years during the 80's. (0's meant I was rasing twins, so trips were few and far between. Went twice during the 90's and took my son in 2000. Until Chipper's retirement ceremoney my wife and I had not been back. Life meant making choices and money was better spent on kids, house, etc. I have had MLB Extra Innings as long as I have had DirectTV (1998), not a cheap cost. I also got XM radio for the feeds as well, but once the Sirus merger, let that go. I do pay for the MLB Audio package each year now.

So because I have liked and rooted for the Braves since 1970, I'm now not a real fan because my numbers of games attended is not up to gilesfan snuff? I guess because I have been a Tampa Bay Bucs fans since their inception in '76 (0-26 to start the franchise and I'm still a fan), but only attended one game (vs. Panthers at Charlotte), I'm not allowed to be considered a real fan of that team as well?

I've seen some stupid, idiotic posts on the many boards this group has endured over the years, but this one has to top them all!!
    Nope. You are a true fan in my opinion. I am talking about the people like Heyward, BRule, and thethe who just pick and choose who they root for for no good reason. Lets see you have a guy living in NY rooting for the Braves, OKC Thunder, and SF 49ers or the Louisville (basketball)/Braves/Bucs/knicks or the Broncos/Braves/Thunder/UNC combinations.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Braves fan, Falcons fan, grew up UGA fan before I went to Georgia Southern, then dusted the dawgs. I don't follow an NBA team except to check the Hawks box score. I believe I conform to the rules of being a Gile's FAN. Oh, and I live (have always lived) in GA.
    Tip of the ole cap to you. I mean you could just want to root for winners and choose random teams throughout the country and buy a league pass and call yourself a fan, but you stayed true to your roots. Kudos.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    Nope. You are a true fan in my opinion. I am talking about the people like Heyward, BRule, and thethe who just pick and choose who they root for for no good reason. Lets see you have a guy living in NY rooting for the Braves, OKC Thunder, and SF 49ers or the Louisville (basketball)/Braves/Bucs/knicks or the Broncos/Braves/Thunder/UNC combinations.
    Lulz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    92 Posts
    Pretty weak affiliation if you ask me.
    Well that's disappointing. I was hoping I would stack up fairly well. For shame.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Braves fan, Falcons fan, grew up UGA fan before I went to Georgia Southern, then dusted the dawgs. I don't follow an NBA team except to check the Hawks box score. I believe I conform to the rules of being a Gile's FAN. Oh, and I live (have always lived) in GA.
    Same here except it's the Timberpups box that I'm checking out. Again, I'm 60 and grew up in the era of Chuck Taylor high tops (Youngsters, imagine trying to play in a pair of those. Playing hoops in those is probably the #1 cause of hip and knee replacements for former athletes in their 60's) and no shot clocks (and somehow the high school team on which I played still managed to lose some game by 40). As much as I appreciate LeBron James' excellence, the modern game of basketball may as well be lacrosse to me. It's an entirely different game.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    Riddle me this, herr direktor [MENTION=99]gilesfan[/MENTION]: I grew up pulling for a (successful, but not the only successful) regional Division I school with respect to collegiate sports; when I matriculated to university, my school (despite boasting the first Heisman Trophy winner, being a founding member of the Big Ten, and at one point employing a head-coach in football who invented or helped invent some of the most basic plays, tactics, and aspects of modern American football) competed in the Division III UAA against the likes of NYU, Brandeis, and Emory, among others. I never attended a single Maroons sporting event while an undergraduate — but I still regularly followed the team I'd grown up following.

What is the authenticity of my "fandom" in regard to collegiate sports?
    Last edited by jpx7; 12-14-2013 at 12:39 AM.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,003 Posts
    Die-hard Braves fan, love UGA. Didn't go there, but my school was a D-2 without football, and grew up with that in my family. Like the Falcons. For a while they were the lovable losers. Then they got good, and still found ways to screw up. For instance, blowing a 17-point lead at home in the NFC championship. I check in here and there with the Hawks, but I honestly just don't care about the NBA. I enjoy watching the great players, but I know the Hawks don't have a shot in hell at winning the way the league is set up now, so why bother?

Only "fans" I have an issue with are the parasites that just jump from team to team. I can scan my social media networks and find plenty of Miami Heat fans who were Laker fans 3 years ago. Root for who you want, but don't get offended when you get called out for jumping ship if something goes bad for the latest flavor of the month.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    I was thinking about this the other day and about the opposite...

What happens if you don't like a team because they spend money like the Yankees , and they're not considered a rival to the Braves? Are you a real hater, or just a phony hater.

Also, what happens if you happen to root for the Nationals & Braves? Where does the allegiance go, where you currently live or where you were born and followed as a child growing up?
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    I consider healthy real hate for any team that caused you direct angst to your team. I don't like the Yankees, but I hate the Mets. I don't like the Yankees because of who they are and how they go about business, but I hate the Mets for having David Wright and beating us every now and again. I hate the Phillies for the same reasons.

So... Phillies, Mets get real hate, and Yankees get fake hate.

***Just realized the Yankees took Brian McCann away and made me dislike him. Real hate energized.
    Ivermectin Man

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    I was thinking about this the other day and about the opposite...

What happens if you don't like a team because they spend money like the Yankees , and they're not considered a rival to the Braves? Are you a real hater, or just a phony hater.

Also, what happens if you happen to root for the Nationals & Braves? Where does the allegiance go, where you currently live or where you were born and followed as a child growing up?
    Phony hater.

Good question. Either answer probably acceptable. Sounds like different situation than someone living in NY and liking the Thunder, 49ers, Braves, and UNC Tar Heels

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Phony hater.

Good question. Either answer probably acceptable. Sounds like different situation than someone living in NY and liking the Thunder, 49ers, Braves, and UNC Tar Heels
    So how do you in particular decide who to root for when attending a Braves @ Nats game? Braves because they were your first love in baseball, or the Nats because they're your local guys that you root for? Do you put on the A or W cap? Do you have one of those "House Divided" license plates that have rivals on each side split down the middle?
    Forever Fredi

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    So how do you in particular decide who to root for when attending a Braves @ Nats game? Braves because they were your first love in baseball, or the Nats because they're your local guys that you root for? Do you put on the A or W cap?
    I have no idea what you are talking about.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    He is mocking you.
    Ivermectin Man

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-04-2014)

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    He is mocking you.
    oh...thanks dude

20. The Following User Says Thank You to gilesfan For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (03-04-2014)

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    THere's a faction in this community that says your allegiance lay both with the Braves of Atlanta and the Nationals of Washington D.C.
    Forever Fredi

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    He is mocking you.
    Mocking him would suggest there's enough evidence to support Gilesfan roots for the Nats and Braves...

I'm not aware of such evidence at the moment.
    Forever Fredi