Page 241 of 1148 FirstFirst ... 141191231239240241242243251291341741 ... LastLast
Results 4,801 to 4,820 of 22943

Thread: REAL FOOTBALL Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Thats because all kaepernick knows is the Pistol and the Pistol is bet fit for a short QB like WIlson.
    Not saying you are wrong because there is a sense of comfort for Kaep with that offense but I also believe they institute it because of how many different threats it poses to the deefense.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    The pistol isn't about threat. The QB is the threat. Vick is a threat no matter where you line him up. Pistol doesn't make a running QB more of a threat. Read option sets them up for a longer read but requiring a quicker reaction.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    The read option is more often than not run out of a pistol set. If you line up in the pistol then the defense has to think about that.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    So what coaches do you think get canned or quit?

I think that Rexy is in trouble. Garrett may be in trouble but Jones seems to love him. I think COughlin retires. Adn then the usual. Of the bad teams with safe coaches, my bet would be on Smith, Schiano, Tomlin as the safest.
    Im not sure on Rex, he doesnt really have the greatest personel around him.

I think they give Coughlin another year.

Schiano is still out despite their turnaround lately.

I'd agree on Smith/Tomlin.

Shanny should get fired, its either him or RG3, cant keep both imo.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Pretty much, no one uses it anymore.
    You must not watch your Broncos. Must not have watched them vs. the Chargers. Must not watch SF, Sea, Philly, and I'm sure other teams.

As for the read option, Sea, SF, Philly, Cincy, Carolina, KC, Wash at the very least still run it.

Code:
    The read option is marginally less "effective" in 2013 than it was in 2012, but there are myriad variables at play. The yards per attempt is down some, which is exactly what pretty much everyone expected to happen -- even the most hardened read option defenders.

Teams are going to focus on it, it's going to be a priority and therefore it's going to be a little tougher to do, for the most part. That said, even if teams "know" how to stop the read option, there's still the little detail of actually executing that plan.

As Seahawks offensive line coach Tom Cable put it:

"I've heard Mike [Tomlin] and others talk about defending it. Whoever is going to do it, you better have the answers. All we've heard all spring is every defensive coach in the NFL is saying ‘I'm going to go to Texas A&M, I'm going to go to Oregon with their new coach, and try to figure this thing out."

"Hey, it's football. It's no different than getting in the I[-formation] and running the lead play. It's a different way of doing it."

Even if you know it's coming, you've still got to stop it. You still have to account for it.

NO DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR FOUND A MAGIC ELIXIR FOR STOPPING THE READ OPTION BETWEEN THIS SEASON AND LAST.

As I have illustrated (and keep in mind, most of these GIF'd plays are from the past couple of weeks), there are ways to defend the read option, and there are ways to beat those defensive adjustments. In general, running 3-4 looks with multiple linemen two-gapping is a way to mitigate the numbers advantage the use of read option creates. If you're in a 4-3 defense, bring eight defenders into the box. Again, generally, having elite athletes on the edges is nice, and in the secondary, it helps to call zone coverage with players looking in toward the line of scrimmage so they can see the action in front of them. Simply, you must play disciplined, smart football, minding your gaps and staying on script while knowing which player you're responsible for.

No defensive coordinator found a magic elixir for stopping the read option between this season and last. Teams will continue to use it as a complementary weapon in their offense. For the Seahawks, the "no-read read option" has been a pretty popular deterrent to the common read option defenses. For the Panthers and Niners, their wide variance in read option looks and formations is what makes their versions hard to defend. The Chiefs have done a good job in using pistol read option looks to create play-action passing opportunities. The Eagles, who run the read option more than any other team in the NFL by a long shot, use all of the above to make it effective.

The differences in the read option from 2012 to 2013 run parallel to the changes in strategy in defending it. As defensive coordinators figure out better ways to stifle it, their counterparts break out new tweaks in response. The game of chess continues.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    I meant to say read-option, no one uses that anymore.

Pistol is used more than the read-option.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    I would be shocked if the Bucs can Schiano. Bucs have been playing better since players have been buying into the team. That's ignoring that they've been without their best player. By many reports the Glazers love Schiano's style and brought him in to toughen up the team and they'll eat the bad results for a while.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    I meant to say read-option, no one uses that anymore.

LOL. Do you not watch football?
    Last edited by gilesfan; 12-16-2013 at 01:55 PM.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    LOL. Do you not watch football?
    I watch enough.

I meant no one uses the read-option as their base offense like the Skins did last year.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    I watch enough.

I meant no one uses the read-option as their base offense like the Skins did last year.
    Have you ever watched the Eagles? How about Seattle or SF? KC? Carolina? Do you ignore these teams when they are on the tv?

Across the NFL, the read option has been run 3x more often in 2013 than it was in 2012. In 2012, the Skins were 2nd in the NFL in read option plays behind Carolina (14%).

About 30% of the Eagles plays are read option plays. 15% of the Bills snaps are read option plays. Last year the Skins ran it 12% of the time.

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,812 Posts
    Some thoughts on the latest Cowboys calamity:

I've defended Tony Romo many times on this board. I still have his back, however, can't defend the two interceptions in the 4th quarter. Two bad passes thrown. Can't do that. To his credit, Romo stood up after the game and took responsibility. Reading some stuff after the game, he appeared to be the only Cowboy to do so. But, he was far from the only one who should shoulder responsibility from yesterday's debacle.

There is no excuse for the defense to let a 26-3 lead at halftime get away with a backup QB playing for the other team. Absolutely none. Sure, Sean Lee wasn't out there (and just saw where he may not be the rest of the season), but the others have to step up. DeMarcus Ware made no impact whatsoever. Brandon Carr continues to get burned. After getting a contract extension for some reason, Orlando Scandrick was horrible. During the Monday Night game against the Bears, Emmitt Smith criticized the defense saying the scheme was horrible. He's right. Monte Kiffin was a great defensive coordinator in his day, but it's clear the game has passed him by.

In the first half, the running game did a great job. So, why did they get away from it in the second half? Garrett and Callahan have come up with some lousy play calls, but the second half was a new low. The fact that they changed the way they call the plays during the season and the results are the same is evidence this staff doesn't know what they are doing.

Saw Dez Bryant leave the field before the game was over. Seems like most Dallas fans are siding with him. Not me. Dez said he left because he didn't want to let anyone see him cry. That's just evidence to me that mentally, he still hasn't put it together. Man up, Dez! Many Cowboy fans are pointing to when Andre Johnson left the field early. Andre Johnson has been in the NFL a heck of a lot longer than Bryant and has accomplished a lot more than Dez. So that comparison doesn't fly with me.

If the Cowboys do not make the playoffs, Jason Garrett and staff need to be gone. There is no excuse for this. Yesterday was just the latest. Add to it after scoring 48 points against Denver and still losing, Terrence Williams fumbling while trying to stretch the ball across the goal line while at the three yard line, and the last drive failure in Detroit. This team has found more ways to lose that I thought I knew. Usually, I'm one who looks at the players, but it's clear there is no leadership from the coaches.

Of course, there are a few Cowboys apologists who will point to the fact there isn't as much talent on the field. Who is responsible for that? That would be plastic face himself Jerry Jones. He continues to appoint himself as the guy who makes the football decisions and refuses to hire a true football guy to make the calls. And because of that, the on-field product speaks for itself. Two drafts in a row, the Cowboys have failed to address big needs. This year, they had a chance to get a DT, but traded down and used the first round pick on a center they could've had in the second. And in that second round, they use it on a TE who has made no impact whatsoever. Jerry Jones is hurting this organization, but his Texas-sized ego makes him blind to it.

Dallas should be running away with the NFC East right now. Instead, they are on the outside looking in for the playoffs and are a laughing stock in the NFL. For many Cowboys fans, myself included, patience is at an end. We're tired of this garbage week in and week out. If this team fails to make the playoffs, then changes better be coming. As it is, making the playoffs could actually be a bad thing for the Cowboys in the near future.

For Cowboys fans, seeing this once great franchise turn to this is depressing. Tom Landry would be rolling over in his grave if he knew what was going on.
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Dallas certainly has the most talent in the NFC East and I agree they should be running away with the division. No excuse for what Dez did....typical diva WR

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I mean, what do you expect? This is someone who said that Kaep wouldn't be in the NFL in two years. He is the biggest negative fan on the forum. Well within his right but I will never understand the negative fan.
    I said if he doesn't improve he could be out of the league.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Which contract will end up being the worst?

Romo, Eli, Ryan?
    Can't remember what Eli's contract is for. Romo catches a ton of flak because of idiots on the coaching staff and a defense to let him down all the time. Ryan needs studs to make himself look really good, but so do a lot of quarterbacks. Eli has no excuses though.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Romo is an idiot, he brings a lot of it on himself. Just last night he just needs to be smart with the football. And he checks from run to pass a lot.

Eli = elite....? Bwahahahahahahaahah

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Jason Garrett and Kiffin should be fired right NOW. Kiffin's defense is so terrible it's a joke. I don't care how many injured players there are, there is no excuse for allowing a Matt Flynn led offense to score a TD on FIVE STRAIGHT POSSESSIONS. The fact the man still has a job shows how utterly stupid and stubborn jerry is. Dumb piece of ****.

Even if they make the playoffs, the coaching staff should be gone. They will get blown out in the playoffs. Jerry will defend keeping them based on "hey, we won the division and made the playoffs." But everyone except for him sees how terribly coached this team is. I fully believe we have the worst group of coaches in the league. Garrett is a freakin joke. I never liked him, and he's showing me why more and more each week.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Dallas certainly has the most talent in the NFC East and I agree they should be running away with the division. No excuse for what Dez did....typical diva WR
    LOL RG3 is a bigger diva than Dez

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,812 Posts
    Just a couple other things:

On the last pick, while certainly Romo deserves criticism, Gil Brandt pointed out that Cole Beasley stopped the route short. So yeah, Romo threw the pick, but Beasley contributed to the mistake. So take that for what you will.

But this was the real bad thing to me: In the first half, DeMarco Murray had 11 carries for 83 yards. Despite the 26-3 lead at halftime, he only carried the ball SEVEN more times. Dallas averaged over seven yards a carry in the game, yet got away from the running game in the second half! That is pitiful coaching from Garrett and Callahan.
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Romo is an idiot, he brings a lot of it on himself. Just last night he just needs to be smart with the football. And he checks from run to pass a lot.

Eli = elite....? Bwahahahahahahaahah
    Rom checking out of the run wasn't that bad. He read it right, and had a WR with a ton of room had he made a good throw. He made a horrible throw though. So I'll criticize the throw, but I understand the decision. With a good throw, Austin has a ton of room and no one to beat. It was just a really bad throw.

Still no excuse for the playcallers to throw the ball 48 times when you're averaging almost 8 yards per carry. Typical garrett. Worst HC in the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    With Roddy out or a bum wheel, Julio only for 5 games, and playing far and away the toughest schedule in the NFL defensively has posted a solid season stat wise.