Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves sign Gavin Floyd 1 yr 4M + incentives

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    You must be new here. The Braves could have the best team in the history of the world and get bounced in the first round. It's a crapshoot. No player(s) will change that.
    Contrary I'm not new here I've been around this board and the previous incarnation a long time. Even Frank Wren said himself at the beginning of the off-season the Braves needed an ace, so he should put his money where his mouth was. That price tag on Price if that was indeed the price tag was reasonable and he should have explored a trade. Propsects are also a crap shoot. We have no idea how good Alex Wood, Bethancourt and Lucas Sims are going to be. We know how good David Price is.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tvsportscaster View Post
    Contrary I'm not new here I've been around this board and the previous incarnation a long time. Even Frank Wren said himself at the beginning of the off-season the Braves needed an ace, so he should put his money where his mouth was. That price tag on Price if that was indeed the price tag was reasonable and he should have explored a trade. Propsects are also a crap shoot. We have no idea how good Alex Wood, Bethancourt and Lucas Sims are going to be. We know how good David Price is.
    We also know the Rays haven't done **** with Price. If he's that good then why did the Rays get bounced early?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Heyward (12-17-2013)

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    We also know the Rays haven't done **** with Price. If he's that good then why did the Rays get bounced early?
    They've been to a World Series which is more than we can say for the Braves, and the man has won a Cy Young, when was the last time a Braves pitcher did that.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory ChapelHillMatt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post

And yes, the playoffs are a freaking crapshoot, once you get in, anything can happen.

Minor or Julio could develop into an ace, or some hitters could go nuts.
    You know who says stuff like this? Teams that lose in the 1st round. I don't see any Cardinal or Red Sox fan saying stuff like this. I used to think along these same lines but I don't anymore. How many times do we have to have great regular seasons followed up by 1st round exits before we start to realize our players choke in big games? Why can't our players come up big in the clutch? I'm sorry there is something to be said for winning in October. If Romo can have the choking label attached to his name then so can the Braves. You say anything can happen but the only thing we consistently do in October is lose. If anything could happen and all it takes is for a couple of players get hot then why is it that never happens for us?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ChapelHillMatt For This Useful Post:

NinersSBChamps (12-18-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emk418 View Post
    I have some hope in BJ bouncing back to a certain level. But Uggla has been in a steep decline every year here. He's not turning that around here.
    What I see happening is BJ returning to the player he's been in the past. I don't think he'll be as bad as he was last year but where I disagree with others is I don't believe the "good" Upton is all that good, certainly not worth what we'll be paying him. Uggla is a lost cause, I can't wait until his contract runs out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Someone out there would pay 2-5 million/year for Uggla. There is no excuse for him still being on the team (come Spring Training).

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,989 Posts
    Anyone who think this team doesn't have some gaping holes is in for a rude awakening. We lost one of the best catchers in baseball who hit 20 homers last yr. Gattis replaces some of Mac's productions, but we also lost Gattis's bat from the bench. And who knows if Gattis can repeat last season? There's still quite a large bust risk, imo

We also lost 2 starting pitchers who combined for 18 wins and about 280 innings pitched. While it might seem like Maholm and Huddy didn't have great yrs, you can't discount the fact that provided good value and ate a lot of quakity innings for us.

We should expect a good bit of decline from the catcher/RH bench positions. Pitching wise we do get a (hopefully) healthy Beachy and a full yr of Alex Wood to help shoulder the loss of Huddy and Maholm. May be the combination of Beachy, Wood, and Floyd (or other minor league arms) outproduce what we lost from Huddy and Maholm. But if Beachy goes down again, our staff looks very thin.

I do expect improvement from BJ Upton and a more consistent season from Justin. Hopefully Tommy LaStella or the Pastor can win the 2b job in ST. But we do have a good bit of holes. I see us almost neck and neck with Washington. I give us the edge based off what should be the best BP.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,989 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    You really want to complain about that???

The Yankees just spent $299 million and the back end of their rotation includes David Phelps, Pineda trying to return from much more serious shoulder surgery, and Adam Warren...AND their current Opening Day 2B and 3B are Brian Roberts and Kelly Johnson.

We have problems? Seriously???

Yanks had some serious holes coming in and have, for the most part, addressed those issues. And they are not done either.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    They've been to a World Series which is more than we can say for the Braves, and the man has won a Cy Young, when was the last time a Braves pitcher did that.
    They haven't been to a world series with him as a starter. Again, if he is so good. Why haven't the Rays done anything with him leading their rotation. I thought aces and cy young winners are supposed to lead your team to a world series?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

yeezus (12-18-2013)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChapelHillMatt View Post
    You know who says stuff like this? Teams that lose in the 1st round. I don't see any Cardinal or Red Sox fan saying stuff like this. I used to think along these same lines but I don't anymore. How many times do we have to have great regular seasons followed up by 1st round exits before we start to realize our players choke in big games? Why can't our players come up big in the clutch? I'm sorry there is something to be said for winning in October. If Romo can have the choking label attached to his name then so can the Braves. You say anything can happen but the only thing we consistently do in October is lose. If anything could happen and all it takes is for a couple of players get hot then why is it that never happens for us?
    The Rangers and Tigers have consistently fallen short these past few years too. So it's not just the Braves. And lets not act like they are happy just because they have won a couple of playoff series. The Tigers have had the top hitter and one of the top starters in baseball and have had nothing to show for it. Could be worse. So yes, anything can happen in the playoffs. If you want to think otherwise then so be it. But most of the really good front offices try to build teams for sustained success into getting them into the playoffs because they know once they get there anything can happen.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Heyward (12-18-2013)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Anyone who think this team doesn't have some gaping holes is in for a rude awakening. We lost one of the best catchers in baseball who hit 20 homers last yr. Gattis replaces some of Mac's productions, but we also lost Gattis's bat from the bench. And who knows if Gattis can repeat last season? There's still quite a large bust risk, imo

We also lost 2 starting pitchers who combined for 18 wins and about 280 innings pitched. While it might seem like Maholm and Huddy didn't have great yrs, you can't discount the fact that provided good value and ate a lot of quakity innings for us.

We should expect a good bit of decline from the catcher/RH bench positions. Pitching wise we do get a (hopefully) healthy Beachy and a full yr of Alex Wood to help shoulder the loss of Huddy and Maholm. May be the combination of Beachy, Wood, and Floyd (or other minor league arms) outproduce what we lost from Huddy and Maholm. But if Beachy goes down again, our staff looks very thin.

I do expect improvement from BJ Upton and a more consistent season from Justin. Hopefully Tommy LaStella or the Pastor can win the 2b job in ST. But we do have a good bit of holes. I see us almost neck and neck with Washington. I give us the edge based off what should be the best BP.
    We got a 4.21 ERA from those 280 innings too. I believe a combination of Beachy, Wood, and Floyd will out perform that. Beachy should be ready for a full load for the season. Wood should still be limited on the amount of innings he can throw and hopefully that's where Floyd comes in to lighten that load. I think our SP will be fine.

Losing Gattis from the bench will hurt but overall I don't see a huge downgrade from Mac to Gattis. I think maybe 1 to 1.5 in WAR. Which isn't to knock Gattis but I think Mac is really good. But that will be made up by Heyward playing all year. Hopefully no more baseballs to the face or sudden stomach surgeries for him.

I'm a believer in BJ not sucking as much as he did in 2013. He's still young and almost everything that could go wrong offensively did go wrong. Increased K rate, drop in BABIP, and loss of power. Pretty had to explain all of that at the same time. I still believe he rebounds and provides us close to what he did in 2012 for the Rays with hopefully the defense that he showed last year. That would be a pretty damn good player and worth what he's getting paid.

2B with Uggla is a lose cause imo. If Wren can't find any takers for him I think they give Uggla ST and the first month of the year to see if he can turn it around. If he can't I think a combo of Pastor and LaStella take over. And that would be addition by subtraction if Uggla is still horrendous.

In the end 2014 will come down to health, not sticking with Uggla to long, and shoring up the bullpen and bench. The bullpen is on it's way and bringing EOF back would put it where it needs to be. The bench is still a concern and we need someone like Chavez but that doesn't seem likely with Gamel on board. That's a move that could be great but likely will be meh.

So no I don't think we have gaping holes. We have an issue at 2B and the bench imo. That's not gaping to me. That's just what's to be expected. Most teams have 1 issue or another going into the season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    We'll agree to disagree about Wren having a horrendous off-season. Only thing I know is they had 25 extra million from the new National TV deal and he hasn't done squat with it. If everyone is content with first round playoff exits, then yeah, Wren has had a remarkable off season
    How do you even know if Liberty is letting Wren spend that money?
    Natural Immunity Croc

17. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

AUTiger7222 (01-05-2014)

Lynchburg Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    This feels like Raul Mondesi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    So do you have a solution that would make the team stop losing in October.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Because it really matters what fans say, right?
    Also, you must have missed mid-season, after we just whooped the Cards, what their fans were saying.
    This team, is it's constructed, could definitely win a few playoff series. It's about getting hot. That's why wild card teams can win it. Teams who couldn't outperform the higher-seeded teams all year win. Because they get hot.
    Who was the Red Sox ACE entering the season? They had Jonny Gomes and Daniel Nava in LF. Who was at SS and 3B?
    I just don't get all the doom and gloom, the "we can't possibly win in october!" As the great post by someone earlier said, we've lost with ALL KINDS OF TEAMS. This team needs to grow together and get hot at the right team. As it is, it's a very good team.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    Also, you must have missed mid-season, after we just whooped the Cards, what their fans were saying.
    This team, is it's constructed, could definitely win a few playoff series. It's about getting hot. That's why wild card teams can win it. Teams who couldn't outperform the higher-seeded teams all year win. Because they get hot.
    Who was the Red Sox ACE entering the season? They had Jonny Gomes and Daniel Nava in LF. Who was at SS and 3B?
    I just don't get all the doom and gloom, the "we can't possibly win in october!" As the great post by someone earlier said, we've lost with ALL KINDS OF TEAMS. This team needs to grow together and get hot at the right team. As it is, it's a very good team.
    The Rays may not have been to the World Series with Price as a starter, but I'd take Price starting Game 7 or Game 1 for my team over Minor, Medlen, Teheran, Wood. Beachy is the one guy on our staff I'd throw against a Kershaw and feel comfortable. Oh and maybe Freddy Garcia.

I actually would've preferred signing Freddy to a minor league deal instead of Floyd for 4 million.

Since 2010, the Rays have been to the postseason as many times as us (3 times) with Price leading their rotation.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Whatever, if people want to be Chicken Littles, I'm done arguing with them. It comes down to believing in our young guys vs. not. I believe Minor, Teheran, and Wood could take huge steps. A healthy Heyward is huge for us. Freeman also continues to get better, and Simmons should also improve. When you have a young team like this, most franchises just run with them. Not many teams have the young, talented team we do. So, I'm ok with seeing how they grow and believing in them.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Whatever, if people want to be Chicken Littles, I'm done arguing with them. It comes down to believing in our young guys vs. not. I believe Minor, Teheran, and Wood could take huge steps. A healthy Heyward is huge for us. Freeman also continues to get better, and Simmons should also improve. When you have a young team like this, most franchises just run with them. Not many teams have the young, talented team we do. So, I'm ok with seeing how they grow and believing in them.
    I'm not saying I don't believe in our guys.

I'm just saying I would believe in David Price more. If we don't get Price, I'm sure Minor-Medlen would again be our Game 1 starter if we get to the playoffs and I'd be 100% behind them.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    It's not doom and gloom, it's fact. The Braves have great regular seasons and then don't get it done in the postseason. I know this board hates criticism but until the Braves get it done in October they deserve it. Unless of course you believe winning a World Series just isn't that impressive of an accomplishment. That's pretty much the argument most of you are making. Why even make trades or sign FA's, just use your farm system to build the best regular season team you can, afterall winning in the playoffs isn't that big of a deal. You just have to hope you get lucky.

As far as what I think should be done? I think you need to find players who thrive in big game situations. A guy like David Ortiz or Derek Jeter who have proven they can get big hits with the season on the line. I'd like to see a team built around high OBP guys and speed. That way you can manufacture runs when you are going against great pitching. I don't think a team with high K rates that relies on the homerun is the way to win in October. As far as pitching goes, I think you need power arms, you need starters that have the ability to miss bats. Now granted it's hard to build the perfect roster but those are the ingredients I believe will give you the best chance of winning in October.

Again I never said this isn't a good team but it is a team that hasn't shown the ability to win in October yet and until they do they deserve criticism. You can choose to give them a free pass if you choose too but I'm tired of patting them on the back for having a great regular season and then not showing up when games matter the most. It's great that they can beat the Phillies, Marlins, and Mets. I want them to win when it matters the most.

One last point on regular season records. We don't have an balanced schedule anymore so you can't really use regular season records as an indicator of who the best teams are. Also regular season injuries come into play as to why a team may not play their best during the year but then all of a sudden get hot at the end of the season and into the playoffs. Now on the flip side injuries can hurt you in the postseason as well. I have no problem acknowledging that. Honestly all your posts look very familiar because I've written much of the same stuff before. These look like my posts from years past, I even made a similar argument this past year but I'm tired of making excuses for this organizations post season failures. I'm ready for some results.

Of course that's just my opinion, take it for what it's worth.
    Last edited by ChapelHillMatt; 12-18-2013 at 11:09 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithLockhart View Post
    The Rays may not have been to the World Series with Price as a starter, but I'd take Price starting Game 7 or Game 1 for my team over Minor, Medlen, Teheran, Wood. Beachy is the one guy on our staff I'd throw against a Kershaw and feel comfortable. Oh and maybe Freddy Garcia.

I actually would've preferred signing Freddy to a minor league deal instead of Floyd for 4 million.

Since 2010, the Rays have been to the postseason as many times as us (3 times) with Price leading their rotation.
    No one is saying they wouldn't like to have Price, in a vacuum. But the price of prospects to get him would be high, and then he'd walk unless we gave him a crap ton of money. The Rays are OK with dealing him.
    I badly wish we could get Price without sacrificing our farm and young guys, but that won't happen. This team can win with progress from a few of our own guys.