Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Allard's Stuff

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    To be fair I'm not a big fan of MLB pipeline. I think their rankings suck, but they're fun to look at because of how they set up.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

NL Rookie of the Year Acuña’s Bat Flip's Avatar
    Gaffney, South Carolina (Home of the Big Butt "Peach" on I-85)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    I hope we don't pitch him vs. Washington.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Allard is a smart kid. Maybe he is smart enough to pitch better than his stuff. He would be the very first guy I would move in a deal. There are teams that would value him, but more that would not.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    12:18
    Kiley McDaniel: Allard was 90-93 as an amateur and was 92-96 for one inning in the PG All American game in August before the draft. He’s basically been 88-94 every outing of his life except for that one, but he was an athletic 16-year-old with three pitches and feel so, despite not being projectable, some thought he would mature into more velo. The back issue didn’t help, but that was always a bit optimistic. This is about what he is.

12:19
    Kiley McDaniel: If you define top of the rotation as #1 or #2 starters like how scouts define those things, there’s about 10 #1’s and like 20 os so #2’s. A system can’t have a bunch of frontline guys when there’s 30 on Earth, so a bunch of mid-rotation, 2.5-3.0 WAR pitchers is as good as you’re going to do.

12:21
    Kiley McDaniel: Eric and I are wrong about plenty, but Braves fans seemed catatonic that we didn’t have Allard and Bryse Wilson higher. I hope both succeed but Allard sits 88-92 with solid average stuff and feel and Wilson’s two off-speed pitches are average to a hair above on good days. These sorts of things typically don’t work for even mid-rotation starters. Now, they both could end up being that or even better, but this is why scouts (and generally us) prefer to have more raw stuff, or at least projectability to get that stuff, when we’re projecting impact arms. Both will be productive big leaguers, though, because feel and makeup and competitiveness still matter.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Jaw (08-08-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    As we've said before, the Braves drafted Allard based on a 1 inning spike in velocity.

Also interesting to note that when he says "solid average stuff" he is talking about non-fastballs, because Allard's fastball is NOT average for the MLB level.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    As we've said before, the Braves drafted Allard based on a 1 inning spike in velocity.

Also interesting to note that when he says "solid average stuff" he is talking about non-fastballs, because Allard's fastball is NOT average for the MLB level.
    Allard has also not had an 88 mph to 94 mph fastball so far in MLB. It's been more 88-89 mph. Plus his change-up and curve hasn't been there much either. That left him throwing a lot of 88 mph fastballs and that turned into a batting practice vs the Nats. That is as bad as I have seen him pitch, you could tell he had nothing going that day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,521 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    Allard has also not had an 88 mph to 94 mph fastball so far in MLB. It's been more 88-89 mph. Plus his change-up and curve hasn't been there much either. That left him throwing a lot of 88 mph fastballs and that turned into a batting practice vs the Nats. That is as bad as I have seen him pitch, you could tell he had nothing going that day.
    He has nothing any day.

I’ll just be the one to go on record and say that Allard sucks. It’s as simple as that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    He’s no Jason Hursh that’s for sure

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,279 Posts
    I don't know that "catatonic" is the word you're looking for there, Kiley.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MadduxFanII For This Useful Post:

Jaw (08-10-2018), jpx7 (08-09-2018), Managuarantano's Volunteers (08-11-2018)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    Based on what I've read on twitter from minor league baseball followers, that is not what Allard is averaging this year in the minors. He's averaging 90-91 and topping at 93 and that does not cut it today without Cliff Lee like control. He's either going to need that or to figure something else out.

It's not a hot take to say this version of Allard won't succeed, it is to say he can't figure something else out to succeed. But if he keeps throwing 90-91, without that amazing command (not normal great command), I can safely say he won't be a long term major leaguer.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Allard is a smart kid. Maybe he is smart enough to pitch better than his stuff. He would be the very first guy I would move in a deal. There are teams that would value him, but more that would not.
    Some club with immediate rotation needs, not a whole lot of money, and preferably deep fences. Could be a team rebuilding and willing to take a flyer or a payroll flush team just looking for some cheap starts at the back end and not much of a system.

Wouldn't think anyone would be paying a lot for it though.

I just am not sure the Braves will be the club with the patience to give him his opportunity unless things start going well soon or bigger stuff options all get injured or crap out.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl View Post
    Based on what I've read on twitter from minor league baseball followers, that is not what Allard is averaging this year in the minors. He's averaging 90-91 and topping at 93 and that does not cut it today without Cliff Lee like control. He's either going to need that or to figure something else out.

It's not a hot take to say this version of Allard won't succeed, it is to say he can't figure something else out to succeed. But if he keeps throwing 90-91, without that amazing command (not normal great command), I can safely say he won't be a long term major leaguer.
    It might be more accurate to say you can't be Cliff Lee without great command.

There are more guys who have stable major league careers throwing 90-91 then there are guys with great command.

Velocity is important. It's not the only factor. Or necessarily the most important.

But its unclear whether Allard has any of the other things that would make him successful. I sure don't know. Two stints is hardly the decider on that one. I would vote against and I've suggested he should be shopped all along. But it's not an impossible story.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    It might be more accurate to say you can't be Cliff Lee without great command.

There are more guys who have stable major league careers throwing 90-91 then there are guys with great command.

Velocity is important. It's not the only factor. Or necessarily the most important.

But its unclear whether Allard has any of the other things that would make him successful. I sure don't know. Two stints is hardly the decider on that one. I would vote against and I've suggested he should be shopped all along. But it's not an impossible story.
    I feel like the guys throwing 90-91 that are successful have already been through the wars and understand what to do at that velo to succeed. Not a guy that is just coming up with that velo or the K rate he had in AAA.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to GeorgiaGirl For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-10-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,735 Posts
    Allard needs to go to a rebuilding team that can let him take his lumps like the Royals did with Davies. I wonder how much his Fb would improve coming out of the pen.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl View Post
    I feel like the guys throwing 90-91 that are successful have already been through the wars and understand what to do at that velo to succeed. Not a guy that is just coming up with that velo or the K rate he had in AAA.
    And you would be correct. Guys succeeding now at 90-91 came up throwing much harder and were then naturally selected over time for their their skill to succeed as their stuff declined.

Pitchers don't come up throwing 90 and succeed.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-10-2018)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    And you would be correct. Guys succeeding now at 90-91 came up throwing much harder and were then naturally selected over time for their their skill to succeed as their stuff declined.

Pitchers don't come up throwing 90 and succeed.
    My only hope was mueller was doing the same thing last year. Offseason at driveline and he’s up a few mph.
    allard s fb is slow and straight....thtats awful

Can anyone scrap the fastball? Can he throw a cutter just to get some movement and pitch backwards?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Allard needs to call up Neikro and learn that knuckle ball. He's not making it as a starter in the majors with that fastball. Even if he added a MPH or 2, it's still incredibly straight.

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    I don't know that "catatonic" is the word you're looking for there, Kiley.
    Apoplectic?

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to conalthomas For This Useful Post:

Jaw (08-10-2018), jpx7 (08-10-2018)

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,279 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by conalthomas View Post
    Apoplectic?
    *touches nose*

NL Rookie of the Year Acuña’s Bat Flip's Avatar
    Gaffney, South Carolina (Home of the Big Butt "Peach" on I-85)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    It sucks because he always wanted to be a Brave but his stuff would have only played well twenty years ago.