Page 6 of 154 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Thread: Legal/scotus thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Not a federal issue

Considering how vague I was I dont know how you can proclaim it not a federal issue.

Raich v Gonzalez is a specific case I would like to see him weigh in on. The federal government using the interstate commerce clause as authority to regulate marijuan that neither travels out of state or is sold is considered one od the worst decisions still standing and will be overturned eventually. I guarantee you Kavanaugh will not vote to overturn that.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    Have you ever considered not letting one issue rule all of your views?

Related, do you consider marijuana to be an addictive substance?
    I’m going to go out on a limb and say you probably have a lot of friends/acquaintances I could ask that same question to, especially as it pertains to the Supreme Court.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    Melanie Schmitz
    ‏Verified account @MelsLien
    14m14 minutes ago

Holy ****

Cornyn reads a rule saying "any senator...who discloses the secret or confidential business or proceedings of the senate"

shall be expelled or dismissed from the senate

Booker looks him dead in the eye and says,

"Bring it.
    "

pic.twitter.com/eOdx2Z1RST

From what I read these emails are a non issue. Its basically talking about whether security measures should be race neutral. They discuss using race as a factor in the interm until they could build/implement a security system, whether the race should be the final security system they set up, and how constitutional both of those are. Kavanaugh gives the amswers you want to hear which is that the Equal Protections Act requires them to atleast try to implement a race neutral system. In the interm case they cite national security as a defense that will work.

Personally I have no problem using race as a factor morally, but constituionally I agree with what Kavanaugh said. Its probably not constitutional but I would focus my security on foreign born muslims and the children of immigrants from muslim countries. By the time we get to the second generation born in America I thinm we can ease off. With muslims I worry about their kids combining teenage ansgt with radical muslims clerics preaching Jihad online.

I am still grateful to Booker for releasing this. We deserve to know far more about our governments inner dealings than they let us. Its not the case here but often stuff gets redactes or clsssifies undee national security rrssons because releasing the info would embarass a government agency thus reducing public confidence/trust in them which they claim will make it harder for them to do their job. That is bullcrap. I dont care if its damning info about my guy Ron/ Rand Paul, we deserve to know.
    Last edited by cajunrevenge; 09-06-2018 at 01:16 PM.

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    I’m going to go out on a limb and say you probably have a lot of friends/acquaintances I could ask that same question to, especially as it pertains to the Supreme Court.
    Nah, they're not only worried about abortion. They worry about the gays too.

(this was good natured sarcasm)
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaw For This Useful Post:

mqt (09-06-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    When the one issue is wether I should be incarcerated amd given a scarlet letter making me a second class citizen, then no, I can not vote or supporr anyone with that position.

And I would call marijuana a habit forming drug similar to alcohol. If you smoke marijuana every day for 6 months you will go through some minor withdrawls for up a few days. If you smoke a couple times a week you wont have any addiction issues. Marijuana is not nearly as bad as addictive as tobacco.
    I ask about it being addictive because it seems that some people go to great lengths to obtain it, including making it the primary policy issue they consider when forming their political views. That isn't meant to be snarky. I would just expect alternatives, such as anti anxiety medications or alcohol, to be an acceptable alternative that doesn't require risking conviction.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    From what I read these emails are a non issue. Its basically talking about whether security measures should be race neutral. They discuss using race as a factor in the interm until they could build/implement a security system, whether the race should be the final security system they set up, and how constitutional both of those are. Kavanaugh gives the amswers you want to hear which is that the Equal Protections Act requires them to atleast try to implement a race neutral system. In the interm case they cite national security as a defense that will work.

Personally I have no problem using race as a factor morally, but constituionally I agree with what Kavanaugh said. Its probably not constitutional but I would focus my security on foreign born muslims and the children of immigrants from muslim countries. By the time we get to the second generation born in America I thinm we can ease off. With muslims I worry about their kids combining teenage ansgt with radical muslims clerics preaching Jihad online.

I am still grateful to Booker for releasing this. We deserve to know far more about our governments inner dealings than they let us. Its not the case here but often stuff gets redactes or clsssifies undee national security rrssons because releasing the info would embarass a government agency thus reducing public confidence/trust in them which they claim will make it harder for them to do their job. That is bullcrap. I dont care if its damning info about my guy Ron/ Rand Paul, we deserve to know.
    I think Leahy’s allegations about Kavanaugh’s knowledge of information on judicial nominees stolen from D senators, and his subsequent misrepresentations, should be a bigger issue.

If Republicans has concerns about Kagan’s time in the Clinton WH, they were assuaged by the complete transparency of her paper trail for that era. Kavanaugh should do the same. He won’t, and he’ll get confirmed, and the Rs will have given a lifetime appointment to the highest court in the land to a guy who appears to be a glorified party hack.

After Garland and Kavanaugh, I’m about ready to co-sign the Ds playing for keeps by any means necessary in future SCOTUS issues. Court-packing, whatever. Why shouldn’t they?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (09-06-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    I ask about it being addictive because it seems that some people go to great lengths to obtain it, including making it the primary policy issue they consider when forming their political views. That isn't meant to be snarky. I would just expect alternatives, such as anti anxiety medications or alcohol, to be an acceptable alternative that doesn't require risking conviction.

The issues that affect me the most will almost always be what I vote on. I say almost because I would not vote for a marijuana legalization candidate if its at the cost of something monsterous like seperating the migrant kids from their parents. You could put a few more things in that category like this endless war of terror that is our foreign policy. Marijuana is my #1 voting issue because it is the biggest issue I believe in that actually has a chance of happening in the near future. Despite legalization being supportes by 65% at this point we are moving at a snails pace precisely because its not a top voting issue for a lot of people. For example, thethe is very much for legalization but most likely has never voted for a legalization candidate. I care deeply about ending many things like our insane foreign policy/wars, ending war on drugs as a whole, and legalizing prostitution. The only one of those that has any chance right now is marijuana. If everyone who supports legalization refused to vote for anone who is against it we would see it legalized in less one presidential election cycle.

I dont like alcohol and I did some regrettable things when I did drink that luckily I didnt get in trouble for. My come to jeebus moment was my car losing traction while going 80 in the pouring rain at 3 am on a major highway. I smashed into the median but it only did minor damage and it started right back up. Another time I started cutting myself. For me when I drink it turns into opposite day and I picked fights with people. Pretty much all my friends told me I was an asshole when I got drunk. I have drank since then very occasionally and I learned to control myself but I dont enjoy the taste of any alcoholic beverage and I rather avoid it altogether.

As for pills my mom died of a stroke when I was young because of a diet pill she took reacting with her depression medication. It didnt help her and it didnt help me when I took it earlier in my life.

It’s over."

10. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

Jaw (09-07-2018)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    Melanie Schmitz
    ‏Verified account @MelsLien
    14m14 minutes ago

Holy ****

Cornyn reads a rule saying "any senator...who discloses the secret or confidential business or proceedings of the senate"

shall be expelled or dismissed from the senate

Booker looks him dead in the eye and says,

"Bring it.
    "

pic.twitter.com/eOdx2Z1RST
    This aged well

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts

13. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (09-07-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Man oh man .. watching the idiot protestors constantly screaming like bafoons just reaffirms that the left has lost it's collective mind

Trump has done an amazing job of showing how corrupt the government is and how insane the left is

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (09-07-2018), striker42 (09-07-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    This aged well
    ?
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    This aged well
    I don’t see any way in which the context surrounding this tweet has changed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    I don’t see any way in which the context surrounding this tweet has changed.
    Corey Booker made a fool of himself with his "I am Sparticus" scene, knowing full well he would be facing no consequences of releasing the information as they'd already been made public

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Corey Booker made a fool of himself with his "I am Sparticus" scene, knowing full well he would be facing no consequences of releasing the information as they'd already been made public
    My intent of the retweet was the fact that a (D) was standing up to a (R)
    Hadn't yet seen the claim that they were already cleared for release.
    But, wondered this too

I am a real human in Brooklyn
    ‏ @Brooklynwatch
    2h2 hours ago

Why did @JohnCornyn quote the Senate rule about releasing confidential

documents if @CoryBooker statements was a "show"?

If Cornyn didn't know the documents were released, neither did Booker.

Many reporters here are accusing Booker of a 'stunt'

Receipts, please.

and, let's be clear who and which reporters are accusing Booker of a stunt.
    And, who gives two ****s if it was a stunt.
    End of the day, Booker broke the (R) stonewall

Which is news

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts