Page 22 of 154 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272122 ... LastLast

Thread: Legal/scotus thread

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    The 2nd allegation is even weaker than the first one. Seems like an obvious smear to me, but I'm biased so I'll wait to see how it plays out in the public.
    FWIW, the New Yorker article does include a couple of people who report hearing about the incident contemporaneously. It’s worth reading in full.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    high school and college are great times in our lives...but also awful times...we have but to reflect back on some of our own memories
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (09-24-2018), Runnin (09-24-2018)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    FWIW, the New Yorker article does include a couple of people who report hearing about the incident contemporaneously. It’s worth reading in full.
    And FWIW, a whole bunch of people named have already denied it.

This has become a circus.

I assume we've already moved on from Ford...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    It blows my mind how eager folks are ready to condemn a person on some really shady and politically opportunistic, unproven, uncorroborated allegations in the name of a political victory.

Think about the precedent you are willing to set here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    And FWIW, a whole bunch of people named have already denied it.

This has become a circus.

I assume we've already moved on from Ford...
    I think it’s fair to hear and weigh those denials, and to hear and weigh the corroboration and accusations as well.

Bill Cosby is about to be sentenced. He denied it, too.

Somewhat lost in this is what you seem to think these women gain by making these accusations. Harassment, death threats, legal jeopardy if they’re determinined to be lying? Doesn’t seem like that great a deal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    I think it’s fair to hear and weigh those denials, and to hear and weigh the corroboration and accusations as well.

Bill Cosby is about to be sentenced. He denied it, too.

Somewhat lost in this is what you seem to think these women gain by making these accusations. Harassment, death threats, legal jeopardy if they’re determinined to be lying? Doesn’t seem like that great a deal.
    1. Bill Cosby has nothing to do with this. So far, all the people involved in these stories, the majority have denied them ever happened. The accusers have yet to go on criminal record... I find that especially curious. The fact that you don't no longer surprises me

2. These women didn't say a word for 35 years. Kavanaugh has been in the public sphere for a long time. Both accusers are registered democrats and we've see that the left has lost their minds in the age of Trump. Add in the fact that I've actually seen people say that Kavanaugh will literally kill women if confirmed, and the perceived gain of stopping a Trump nominee is quite easy to see... not to mention the fact that I won't be surprised to see some more tell all books in the coming years

3. There's been no legal jeapordy yet because Ford hasn't gone on record, and I'm quite sure she won't. The fact that she used flying as an excuse is embarrassingly laughable.

4. Even if the Ramirez allegations are 100% true (and I'm skeptical they are)... that behavior - while inappropriate, is not enough to keep someone from getting a job 35 years later. Go ahead and tell me how terrible I am...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Any reasonable person can see what is going on and it is quite sad what it's come to...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    4. Even if the Ramirez allegations are 100% true (and I'm skeptical they are)... that behavior - while inappropriate, is not enough to keep someone from getting a job 35 years later. Go ahead and tell me how terrible I am...
    1. It's not just "a job".

2. It has probably led to him lying about it now, which calls his character into question.

3. He's already been found to be less that forthcoming.

4. He's a jury plant by Trump, who McConnell knew would be a tougher sell than other candidates.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    The story told by Elizabeth Rasor, the former girlfriend of Mark Judge, does suggest a pattern of predatory behavior by these gentlemen.

It seems to me at a minimum Judge should be asked to testify under oath.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 09-24-2018 at 06:12 AM.

"I am your retribution."

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    This is a gross generalization on my part, but for all the barking about the liberal Deep State elite that's ruining the country, Kavanaugh and many who are avidly defending him are also of the elite, but of a different partisan stripe. Georgetown Prep, Yale, blah, blah, blah. They all look like a bunch of entitled losers to me. D*ckheads with degrees up and down their arms with the morals of a guttersnipe. It strikes me as hilarious that Ed Whalen is the President of the Ethics & Public Policy Center. But will he pay for the tale he has concocted? Hell no. He'll just flip through his phone's contact list and find a fellow elitist and land just fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    I'm guessing one of the senators on Thursday will ask Kavanaugh what a Devil's Triangle is.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    This is a gross generalization on my part, but for all the barking about the liberal Deep State elite that's ruining the country, Kavanaugh and many who are avidly defending him are also of the elite, but of a different partisan stripe. Georgetown Prep, Yale, blah, blah, blah. They all look like a bunch of entitled losers to me. D*ckheads with degrees up and down their arms with the morals of a guttersnipe. It strikes me as hilarious that Ed Whalen is the President of the Ethics & Public Policy Center. But will he pay for the tale he has concocted? Hell no. He'll just flip through his phone's contact list and find a fellow elitist and land just fine.
    I think this is a very good point and one I alluded to earlier.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    1. Bill Cosby has nothing to do with this. So far, all the people involved in these stories, the majority have denied them ever happened. The accusers have yet to go on criminal record... I find that especially curious. The fact that you don't no longer surprises me

2. These women didn't say a word for 35 years. Kavanaugh has been in the public sphere for a long time. Both accusers are registered democrats and we've see that the left has lost their minds in the age of Trump. Add in the fact that I've actually seen people say that Kavanaugh will literally kill women if confirmed, and the perceived gain of stopping a Trump nominee is quite easy to see... not to mention the fact that I won't be surprised to see some more tell all books in the coming years

3. There's been no legal jeapordy yet because Ford hasn't gone on record, and I'm quite sure she won't. The fact that she used flying as an excuse is embarrassingly laughable.

I think if you’d spent some time in the wake of this listening to women telling stories of their sexual assaults, and enumerating their reasons for not reporting, pressing charges, etc, you’d be less surprised. There are many reasons to approach these allegations with caution, but that’s among the least compelling.

Jane Mayer was interviewed today and refererred to an email chain among Yale grads speculating about whether the Ramirez story was going to come up...before it became public, of course. That’s noteworthy, unless of course you believe that the incident as described is not disqualifying.

Which, er, I guess is what you believe. Yikes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    I think if you’d spent some time in the wake of this listening to women telling stories of their sexual assaults, and enumerating their reasons for not reporting, pressing charges, etc, you’d be less surprised. There are many reasons to approach these allegations with caution, but that’s among the least compelling.

Jane Mayer was interviewed today and refererred to an email chain among Yale grads speculating about whether the Ramirez story was going to come up...before it became public, of course. That’s noteworthy, unless of course you believe that the incident as described is not disqualifying.

I think Ramirez and Ford have been very courageous in coming forward. The accumulation of evidence suggests that Kavanaugh was a predator as a young man. And I would hope that kind of behavior is disqualifying.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    That’s noteworthy, unless of course you believe that the incident as described is not disqualifying.

I remember in my freshman year in college, a very similar situation where a drunk girl took off her top and rubbed her breast against me, while putting my hand on her ass.

I made up an excuse and left bc I wasn't interested.

She's a nurse now.

I suppose I should report her bc she's clearly a danger to her patients

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    an 18 year old boy had a naked woman rubbing against him and he walked away because he wasn't interested
    gotcha

that ol' 79% again
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    an 18 year old boy had a naked woman rubbing against him and he walked away because he wasn't interested
    gotcha

that ol' 79% again
    She wasn't very attractive

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    I think sturg just doesn't care, because he's already convinced the deep state owns the Supreme Court anyways.

I think what sturg is more angry about, is the left losing it's mind. He's already convinced the Mueller Invesigation is a deep state scam by the left, so it's a lot easier for himself to convince himself these allegations are just a deep state scam by the left. There is no winning or right thing to do anymore. For him it's just all about the left losing it's mind on everything.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Rump View Post
    I think sturg just doesn't care, because he's already convinced the deep state owns the Supreme Court anyways.

I think what sturg is more angry about, is the left losing it's mind. He's already convinced the Mueller Invesigation is a deep state scam by the left, so it's a lot easier for himself to convince himself these allegations are just a deep state scam by the left. There is no winning or right thing to do anymore. For him it's just all about the left losing it's mind on everything.
    Or just, you know, rape allegations need some evidence before we convict.

Crazy, I know

The fact that that is crazy is further proof the left has lost it's mind