Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts

TUESDAY MINORS THREAD 9/5: Final stats for Rome, Miss., Gwinnett

FINAL STATS

GWINNETT
    At-bats: Ozzie Albies (411); Hits: Albies (117); Runs: Albies (67); Doubles: Rio Ruiz (25); Triples: Albies (8); Home Runs: Ruiz (16); RBIs: Ruiz (56); Average: Ronald Acuna (.344 in 221 ABs); OBP: Acuna (.393); Stolen Bases: Albies, Xavier Avery (21).
    Games pitched: David Peterson (50); Wins: Andrew Albers (12); Saves: Peterson (7); Innings: Aaron Blair (127); Strikeouts: Lucas Sims (132); ERA: Albers (2.61).

MISSISSIPPI
    At-Bats: Travis Demeritte (458); Hits: Demeritte (106); Runs: Demeritte (62); Doubles: Demeritte (21); Triples: Demeritte, Jared James, Keith Curcio (6); Home Runs: Demeritte (15); RBIs: Demeritte, Joey Meneses (45); Average: Ronald Acuna (.326 in 221 at-bats); OBP: Austin Riley (.389); Stolen bases: ROnald Acuna (19).
    Games pitched: Danny Reynolds (39); Wins: Mike Siroka (11); Saves: Jason Hursh (5); Innings: Soroka (154); Strikeouts: Kolby Allard (129); ERA: Wes Parsons (2.71).

ROME
    At-bats: Cristian Pache (469); Hits: Pache (132); Runs: Pache (60); Doubles: Lucas Herbert (21); Triples: Pache (8); Home runs: Brett Cumberland (10); RBIs: Herbert (50); Average: Randy Ventura (.294); OBP: Cumberland (.432); Stolen bases: Pache (32).
    Games pitched: Jon Kennedy (39); Wins: Bryse Wilson (10); Saves: Brandon S. White (10); Innings: Jeremy Walker (138); Joey Wentz (152); ERA: Wilson (2.50).

MULTI-STOP SEASONS:

Alex Jackson (Fla., Miss.) Games (96); At-bats: (367); Hits: (98); Runs; (56); Doubles: (21); Triples (0); Home runs: (19); RBIs (65); Stolen Bases: (0); Average: .267.
    Austin Riley (Fla.,Miss.) Games: (129); At-bats: (484); Hits: 133; Runs (71); Doubles: (19); Triples (2); Home Runs (20); RBIs: (74); Stolen Bases (2); Average (.275).
    Ronald Acuna (3 stops) Games: (139); At-bats (557); Hits: (181); Runs: (88); Doubles: (31); Triples (8); Home Runs: (21): RBIs (82); Stolen bases (44); Average .325; OBP: .374.
    Brett Cumberland (Rome,Fla.) Games: 111; At-bats (357); Hits: (95); Runs: (48); Doubles: (27); Triples (2); Home Runs: (11); RBIs (69); Stolen bases (1); Average: .266. NOTE: Cumberland was hit by a pitch 41 TIMES in 2017. Helped raise his OBP to .409!
    Drew Lugbauer (Dan.,Rome) Games: (60); At-bats: (222); Hits: (58); Runs (36); Doubles: (15); Triples (1); Home Runs: (13); RBIs (46); Stolen bases (0); Average (.261).

2. The Following User Says Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

DaneHill (09-05-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    It's over?!?

It's still real to me DAMMIT!
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Didn't know Pache got to 32 sb. Impressive

Think Lugs can be a prospect.

Herbert had a decent bounceback season. He needs another step forward to keep pace although I'm inclined to give catchers a little bit more leash as they have a lot of skills to develop.

Also- can someone average Rileys Babip over the two levels and give the total stats?

TIA
    Last edited by Tapate50; 09-05-2017 at 06:14 AM.
    Ivermectin Man

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Didn't show up in the W/Ls, but a pretty good season in terms of prospect development. I'm one who has questioned the aggressive promotion pattern seemingly advocated by the front office, but it didn't seem to derail anybody.

Good under-the-radar season for Jared James. Travis Demeritte hit a trough mid-season, but showed his strengths and had a career-low K rate. Still a work in progress. The guys who disappointed me a bit were Dustin Peterson (have to take the injury into account) and R-P Didder (who was better in July and August). Derian Cruz looks lost, but maybe he can get his feet underneath him. Still young and they've invested a lot in him.

One guy from the 2017 draft who has piqued my interest is 16th rounder Gary Schwartz out of Grand Canyon U. Braves went slightly over slot of sign him adding $25,000 to the $100,000 post-10th round pool limit. He's a college guy, so it's no surprise that he did well in Danville. Spent the last few days of the season in Florida. Curious to see if he starts next season in Rome or Florida. A lot will likely depend on where they put Isranel Wilson, who rebounded from a disappointing 2016 with solid work in Danville and looked to be up to the challenge in Rome.
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 09-05-2017 at 07:41 AM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Chico (09-05-2017), Tapate50 (09-05-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    The most positive surprises among our prospects this year for me were Acuna, Wilson and Camargo. Acuna started out as a highly touted prospect, but the increase in his expected production is the largest by far of any of our prospects. The difference in the value of the 50th ranked prospect in baseball and the #1 or #2 is yuge.

The most disappointing is probably Cruz. He was our big bonus signing in 2016. Still young, but the good ones get going from a very early age. Weigel's injury probably represents the biggest injury-related setback. Hopefully, he comes back strong. Even though his most likely major league role is in the bullpen, I'd still like to see him given some additional opportunities to develop as a starting pitcher.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

8. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (09-05-2017)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Didn't show up in the W/Ls, but a pretty good season in terms of prospect development. I'm one who has questioned the aggressive promotion pattern seemingly advocated by the front office, but it didn't seem to derail anybody.

Good under-the-radar season for Jared James. Travis Demeritte hit a trough mid-season, but showed his strengths and had a career-low K rate. Still a work in progress. The guys who disappointed me a bit were Dustin Peterson (have to take the injury into account) and R-P Didder (who was better in July and August). Derian Cruz looks lost, but maybe he can get his feet underneath him. Still young and they've invested a lot in him.

One guy from the 2017 draft who has piqued my interest is 16th rounder Gary Schwartz out of Grand Canyon U. Braves went slightly over slot of sign him adding $25,000 to the $100,000 post-10th round pool limit. He's a college guy, so it's no surprise that he did well in Danville. Spent the last few days of the season in Florida. Curious to see if he starts next season in Rome or Florida. A lot will likely depend on where they put Isranel Wilson, who rebounded from a disappointing 2016 with solid work in Danville and looked to be up to the challenge in Rome.
    Demeritte, Cruz, and Didder are really the only ones who took a step back out of our top 40. You could say Muller and D-pete as well, but I believe the injuries played a part there. I guess you could say Ricardo Sanchez as well, but he's 20 in High A. It was a good season all around

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Acuna final line:

A+: .287 / .336 / .478 (.814 OPS) BAPIP: .411
    AA: .326 / .374 / .520 (.894 OPS) BAPIP: .396
    AAA: .344 / .393 / .548 (.941 OPS) BAPIP: .404

Combined
    .325 / .373 / .522 (.895 OPS) BAPIP: .408

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,731 Posts
    I am very happy about the development on our prospects as a whole this year. I think just about our entire top 30 could fit on some teams top 10.

I do want to defend the aggressive promotions though. Does. A player does not need to mash at one level for a certain period of time to be ready for promotion. We see very little of the human aspect of what's going on in their development. A coach can tell a prospect he wants him to throw 20 changeup in his next start to work on the pitch despite it being his worst pitch. He might then get shelled and without that context we just view it as a bad start where that same prospect might have pitched 7 shutout innings using only his best 2 pitches. I understand it can be important for a players confidence to succeed but how much are they learning while hitting .350 at low A. Even if they hit .220 at the next level after promotion I would think they are learning more from struggling in high A than mashing at low A.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    the yugeness of Acuna's great leap forward must not be misunderestimated
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    I am very happy about the development on our prospects as a whole this year. I think just about our entire top 30 could fit on some teams top 10.

I do want to defend the aggressive promotions though. Does. A player does not need to mash at one level for a certain period of time to be ready for promotion. We see very little of the human aspect of what's going on in their development. A coach can tell a prospect he wants him to throw 20 changeup in his next start to work on the pitch despite it being his worst pitch. He might then get shelled and without that context we just view it as a bad start where that same prospect might have pitched 7 shutout innings using only his best 2 pitches. I understand it can be important for a players confidence to succeed but how much are they learning while hitting .350 at low A. Even if they hit .220 at the next level after promotion I would think they are learning more from struggling in high A than mashing at low A.
    I trust the player development staff, but it really boils down to each individual player. A player can be mashing at a level, but doing so with habits that will have to be corrected to be successful at higher levels. And, like you say, a guy may be working on a singular aspect of his game and once that is mastered, he is promoted regardless of what the stat sheet might say.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    I think the Braves had some interesting hitter prospects guys step forward this year

Jean Carlos Encarnación
    Severino lead his league in doubles
    William Contreras flashed potential
    Gutierrez did fine.
    Jeffrey Ramos looks interesting
    Isranel Wilson rebounded a bit
    Lugbauer looks interesting
    Cumberland and Jackson did enough to look like they are still prospects.

I'm most disappointed in Weigel's injury. He was always a third pitch improving away from being a potentially dominant pitcher and the reports suggest his curve ball flashes big time, but is inconsistent. The change apparently might approach usability in spots when he went down. Adding that to an easy mid 90s fastball and plus slider seemed like it might be sneaky good.

Oh well. Maybe he'll return in 2019 without too many setbacks. If not, seems like the pen works as he has apparently touched 100 in the minors.
    Last edited by Southcack77; 09-05-2017 at 11:15 AM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (09-05-2017)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I think the Braves had some interesting pitching prospects guys step forward this year

Jean Carlos Encarnación
    Severino lead his league in doubles
    William Contreras flashed potential
    Gutierrez did fine.
    Jeffrey Ramos looks interesting
    Isranel Wilson rebounded a bit
    Lugbauer looks interesting
    Cumberland and Jackson did enough to look like they are still prospects.

I'm most disappointed in Weigel's injury. He was always a third pitch improving away from being a potentially dominant pitcher and the reports suggest his curve ball flashes big time, but is inconsistent. The change apparently might approach usability in spots when he went down. Adding that to an easy mid 90s fastball and plus slider seemed like it might be sneaky good.

Oh well. Maybe he'll return in 2019 without too many setbacks. If not, seems like the pen works as he has apparently touched 100 in the minors.
    It will be interesting to see where those guys all end up out of spring training in 2018.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Jackson showed that he might eventually play in the big leagues.

Davidson showed that he is a non prospect.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Horsehide Harry For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (09-05-2017)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    It will be interesting to see where those guys all end up out of spring training in 2018.
    Rome could have a legit lineup next year. Encarnacion, Severino, Contreras, Gutierrez, Maitian, Waters, Ramos, Braulio, Soto, Cruz.

I think next season they need to move Maitan to 3B, Severino to SS, and Encarnacion to 1B

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,731 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    Rome could have a legit lineup next year. Encarnacion, Severino, Contreras, Gutierrez, Maitian, Waters, Ramos, Braulio, Soto, Cruz.

I think next season they need to move Maitan to 3B, Severino to SS, and Encarnacion to 1B

I don't feel like Acuna tool a big step forward, he just got more at bats to convince people. Pretty sure Acuna's hype level was off the charts in spring training even if it was mostly a joke.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Gary
    12:04 How do you project someone like Joey Wentz? Looks like a great season on paper, but reportedly not with great velocity. With a guy who has shown better velo in HS, what are the chances it takes a jump?
    Eric A Longenhagen
    12:06 Most guys never throw harder than they do in high school. You're pitching more and toeing the rubber with less rest than you were in high school. Wentz wasn't all that projectable, physically, in high school and velo peaks and valleys. I think he'll be fine because the curveball and changeup will both be very good, but I wouldn't expect him to have an elite fastball or anything like that.

Jack
    12:15 Gohara may start tonight for Atlanta. What should we expect from him next year?
    Eric A Longenhagen
    12:16 Assuming he keeps his body in check (he's big, especially for his age) then he should just be what you'll see in his first start. Mid-to-upper 90s with a good slider.

BK
    12:25 Any chance we see Acuna in Atlanta this year? Or are the Braves playing with the service clock?
    Eric A Longenhagen
    12:25 They're not slow-rolling other promotions, so maybe we see him for a little bit. But I have no knowledge of it ahead of time.

NYTT
    12:53 Thoughts on Max Fried's first start for the Braves?
    Eric A Longenhagen
    12:53 Didn't see it but heard he was okay. low-90s, curveball was great, strike throwing and changeup were not.

Drew
    12:57 I know you preach patience, are you worried about Swanson, or just needs some time to develop with the bat?
    Eric A Longenhagen
    12:59 Starting to hit though, right? .340/.430/.470 or something like that since he was brought up in August.