Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Shane Greene to Atl being reported

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tululush View Post
    I heard/read after the trade that when AA was asked who would be our closer now he responded, "I'll leave that up to Snitker to decide." Please tell me that is lip service. Greene has to be our closer, or at the very least the first person to go to and let him ride out that role as long as he's successful? Snit can't be stupid enough to share the closer's role between Greene and Jackson? Please, someone tell me?
    It is an interesting question. A number of considerations go into it. Greene has been closing this year (22 saves in 38 games pitched). Melancon has experience closing but this year has just 1 save in 43 games pitched. Martin has 4 saves in 38 games.

In terms of effectiveness, here are some 2019 numbers to chew on:

Greene 3.70 FIP 3.80 xFIP .282 xwOBA
    Melancon 3.33 FIP 3.47 xFIP .299 xwOBA
    Martin 4.01 FIP 2.93 xFIP .290 xwOBA

In terms of usage, Martin has pitched more than 1 inning twice, Melancon 7 times and Greene not at all this season.

Greene has pitched consecutive days 9 times (and twice pitched 3 straight days), Melancon 4 times, and Martin 8 times.

Martin has more loss of effectiveness than the other two when pitching consecutive days.

From this my recommendations would be to have Greene close, and to lean on Melancon more when you need a second inning.

Of our incumbents, Jackson, Newk and Tomlin can all give you multiple innings. Jackson is good for consecutive days too (but not after throwing 30 pitches).

Martin has not pitched much the past couple weeks (back issue). His three most recent appearances are July 26, July 21, July 13. Not a lot of work and he hasn't been as sharp in those 3 appearances. Might want to ease him into things with a couple low leverage appearances.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 08-01-2019 at 02:51 PM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-01-2019), salmagundy (08-01-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    The Tigers have selected the contract of outfielder Travis Demeritte from Triple-A Toledo, as per a team announcement. Righty Eduardo Jimenez has also been called up from Toledo.

Demeritte is set for his big league debut just a day after joining the Tigers. The 24-year-old was dealt to Detroit yesterday along with southpaw Joey Wentz in the trade that sent Shane Greene to the Braves.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Braves1976 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-01-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tululush View Post
    I think Greene and Martin are. Not sure about Melancon, although he’s pitched very well the last month. When I say not sure, I mean I’m genuinely not sure.

I’m starting to really dislike Jackson, but his peripheral numbers suggest he’s been very unlucky. However, at a certain point you can’t ignore what’s happening out there, lucky or not.
    Jackson has a 35% k rate and a 65% ground ball rate. He has a .80 spread between xBA and BA, on ground balls which explains and confirms that big Babip. So yeah, he’s been pretty unlucky.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-01-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Jackson has a 35% k rate and a 65% ground ball rate. He has a .80 spread between xBA and BA, on ground balls which explains and confirms that big Babip. So yeah, he’s been pretty unlucky.
    Jackson gets a lot of weak contact on his slider when it's on but that makes for all the infield hits, unless you have a Simmons at short instead of what we have that will continue. He also has been very lucky this year, see the Charlie clutch game and the Markakis catch game in S.D. where the Padres ran out of pinch hitters as he was falling apart. Charlie also saved a lead off double in a save vs Chicago on a great sliding catch. Those games he was lucky not to have blown saves.
    Last edited by Braves1976; 08-01-2019 at 04:05 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Acuña’s Bat Flip View Post
    He carved up a Hell of a hitter and that’s impressive, Negative Ned!
    I'm not negative... just poking fun. Relax... I'm really excited to have Greene

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Thank we are going to like Greene... from DOB on Twitter:

Someone asked #Braves newcomer Shane Greene what his role would be. He didn’t hesitate with his reply: “I’ll be out there in the ninth.”
    And yes, he exudes swagger. Grew up a Braves fan in Central Florida, favorite player: “Chipper Jones.”

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-01-2019), The Chosen One (08-01-2019)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    599 Posts
    Greene is a total redneck like the rest of us ('cept for cheff) ... of course we are gonna love his Waylon listening to, Copenhagen dippin' cocky ass...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulavol View Post
    Greene is a total redneck like the rest of us ('cept for cheff) ... of course we are gonna love his Waylon listening to, Copenhagen dippin' cocky ass...
    Hell yeah John Rocker was a freaking legend around here. This guy sounds awesome
    Ivermectin Man

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

buck75 (08-02-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    John Rocker was a class act for sure.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-02-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Wentz to have TJ
    Ivermectin Man

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-18-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    It just dawned on me that this may be the first year the trade deadline occurs before the season begins.
    thank you weso1!

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (03-19-2020), jpx7 (03-18-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,709 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Wentz to have TJ

Not surprised. I bet he becomes a really good prospect after he comes back. I think he has been damaged good for a while. Good to happen while still in the minors.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (03-19-2020), jpx7 (03-19-2020)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Not surprised. I bet he becomes a really good prospect after he comes back. I think he has been damaged good for a while. Good to happen while still in the minors.
    Was it the numbers he put up after he was traded or the fact that he wasn't a Braves' prospect anymore that kept you from being surprised?

He was absolutely lights-out after the trade, and it's pretty tough to figure that his 37/4 K/BB Ratio in 25.2 IP signaled some obvious underlying injury, sorry.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Was it the numbers he put up after he was traded or the fact that he wasn't a Braves' prospect anymore that kept you from being surprised?

He was absolutely lights-out after the trade, and it's pretty tough to figure that his 37/4 K/BB Ratio in 25.2 IP signaled some obvious underlying injury, sorry.
    Maybe it’s just because he’s a pitcher, and pitcher injuries should never really be surprising?
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

24. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (03-20-2020)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Maybe it’s just because he’s a pitcher, and pitcher injuries should never really be surprising?
    Agreed.

Shouldn't this mean you should NEVER spend big money on ANY Pitcher since he's inevitably going to get hurt during the contract?
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    Agreed.

Shouldn't this mean you should NEVER spend big money on ANY Pitcher since he's inevitably going to get hurt during the contract?
    Yes.

(Greg Maddux is the single exception.)
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

27. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (03-20-2020)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    Yes.

Maddux missed time that once when a comebacker hit him in the toe near the end of spring training.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snowman For This Useful Post:

clvclv (03-20-2020), jpx7 (03-20-2020)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Yes.

Which is what makes watching these "genius GMs" continue to throw big dollars at them so interesting (and funny).

This is one of the reasons I'd be so interested in trying to work out Archer or Snell-type extensions with Soroka and Fried at this point. With their injury histories, is it really that reasonable to believe that they'd be completely unwilling to go ahead and pocket $50 million now with the ability to try to score big again at age 27 and 31 if they somehow manage to stay healthy?

With innings limits and pitch counts tightening by the day, the chances for ANY SP to put up monster seasons like Verlander/Scherzer/Cole/etc. have in their best years is disappearing fast - just as the chance to land 6-8 year deals at top of the market dollars is going to become less and less likely. If they're willing to gamble that type of money on the chance they WON'T miss significant time sometime in the next 3 years (particularly with their routines so compromised this season), best of luck to them - and I hope the arbitration system rewards them. There's very little chance most of us would do that with previously existing shoulder and elbow issues. IIRC, there was an article at one point that intimated that a Pitcher's FIRST TJS came with a reasonable expectation that he would be relatively healthy (at least his elbow would if all recommendations were followed) for 7 or so years. Fried's TJS came in August of 2014 so he's beginning to sneak up on the end of that period, and we're all aware of how (understandably) leery of shoulder concerns front offices are.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,709 Posts

His velocity on his FB was inconsistent and he couldnt hit his previous peaks. I have thought he was a TJ candidate for a while and that it would probably be a good thing for him. I think he had a lot of wear and tear on the arm and once he gets fully recovered he will come back throwing 97.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-20-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    The most predictive thing for TJ is being a pitcher. The next most predictive things are previous elbow issues (book TJ the moment you hear anything about forearm/elbow tightness/soreness/tingling), and sudden increases in velocity.

This is why folks shouldn't be so scared to deal these FV 50 arms for immediate help when a team is in contention. This is also why it is foolish to guarantee any cash to any pitcher for more than 2-3 years at a time beyond their 20s, at which point they are both declining and still a massive injury risk.

Smart GMs obviously know this, but the pressure to win now while they have a job outweighs the consequences 5+ years from now when they could very well be out of a job anyways.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-20-2020)