Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Top 100 Prospects Lists

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    I don't remember anyone thinking Sims was a reach. It was a big deal when we drafted him and almost everyone was extremely happy. He was pretty highly touted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    I don't remember anyone thinking Sims was a reach. It was a big deal when we drafted him and almost everyone was extremely happy. He was pretty highly touted.
    Sims was certainly highly touted enough that a number of us (myself included) had our doubts that he'd fall to us. I was wanting us to take him or Wood, but figured only Wood to be available before hand. Then once Sims fell to us I wanted him and hoped that Wood would still be available next round. He was of course and so we got both, though that surprised me a bit too.

To sum it up, it was one of those rare drafts the Braves drafted exactly who I wanted with our first two picks.
    Last edited by Braves1976; 01-30-2014 at 02:54 AM.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    Sims was certainly highly touted enough that a number of us (myself included) had our doubts that he'd fall to us. I was wanting us to take him or Wood, but figured only Wood to be available before hand. Then once Sims fell to us I wanted him and hoped that Wood would still be available next round. He was of course and so we got both, though that surprised me a bit too.

To sum it up, it was one of those rare drafts the Braves drafted exactly who I wanted with our first two picks.
    Can you really complain about Hursh and Caratini though?
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Its just odd that narrative is so entrenched that Wren has had poor drafts since Clark left. Its just not true.
    Natural Immunity Croc

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

clvclv (01-30-2014), Heyward (02-04-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Its just odd that narrative is so entrenched that Wren has had poor drafts since Clark left. Its just not true.
    Looking at the recent drafts, there have been some interesting trends but I don't see a big break between Clark's last draft (2009 with Minor the #1 pick) and the drafts that followed. We did have three drafts that were heavy on college players and lighter on high ceiling high school players. Those were the 2009, 2010 and 2011 drafts. Then we increased the number of high school players we drafted and signed in 2012 and increased it further in 2013. The three college player heavy drafts did have the effect of replenishing our depth in the upper minor league system. And those drafts did turn up some good players (Simmons, Minor, Gattis, Graham, La Stella, Terdoslavich, Hale).
    Last edited by nsacpi; 01-30-2014 at 10:07 AM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

clvclv (01-30-2014), sgtpepper1972 (01-30-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Can you really complain about Hursh and Caratini though?
    No, I like the Hursh and Caratini picks too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Looking at the recent drafts, there have been some interesting trends but I don't see a big break between Clark's last draft (2009 with Minor the #1 pick) and the drafts that followed. We did have three drafts that were heavy on college players and lighter on high ceiling high school players. Those were the 2009, 2010 and 2011 drafts. Then we increased the number of high school players we drafted and signed in 2012 and increased it further in 2013. The three college player heavy drafts did have the effect of replenishing our depth in the upper minor league system. And those drafts did turn up some good players (Simmons, Minor, Gattis, Graham, La Stella, Terdoslavich).
    Yeah, I just don't get how Wren can be criticized for his handling of the farm system. Ownership just needs to open up the purse strings to keep the star players we have and then more complimentary help (sprinkled in with some potential impact players) is on the way real soon.
    Natural Immunity Croc

10. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

clvclv (01-30-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Won't be long before Hursh pops onto some lists. Can't make much more of an opening statement than he did.
    Ivermectin Man

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (01-30-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    I wouldn't really call him "highly-touted." He's pitched extremely well since being drafted and has certainly elevated his original expectations. Heyward was far more highly thought of at the time of draft, Sims was considered a bit of a reach by most publications and draft rankings, and he looks as good as a lot of players taken before him. Sims is making himself look like a stud.
    BA had him as a late first rounder and we took him at 21. Baseball draft rankings vary more than any other sports draft because your trying to project a player 4-5 years down the road as opposed to NFL or NBA where most picks go straight into the major leagues. Heyward was ranked top 3 by everyone, so no Sims isnt as highly touted as Heyward was but there was no one available to pick at 21 who was even remotely close to Heyward's level of hype. By Braves draft standards Sims is actually less of a reach than they normally take if you use BA rankings. Going down the 2012 draft list there isnt a prospect I would rather have over Sims until I get to the Alex Wood pick.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

clvclv (01-30-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    BA had him as a late first rounder and we took him at 21. Baseball draft rankings vary more than any other sports draft because your trying to project a player 4-5 years down the road as opposed to NFL or NBA where most picks go straight into the major leagues. Heyward was ranked top 3 by everyone, so no Sims isnt as highly touted as Heyward was but there was no one available to pick at 21 who was even remotely close to Heyward's level of hype. By Braves draft standards Sims is actually less of a reach than they normally take if you use BA rankings. Going down the 2012 draft list there isnt a prospect I would rather have over Sims until I get to the Alex Wood pick.
    I don't disagree with any of that, but he still wasn't highly-touted. Someone would have drafted him before 21 if they knew he was going to look as good as he as. He wasn't a stud prospect, but is gaining buzz for his season last year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Basically, I'm referring to what nscapi posted about, like top 1-10 guys in the draft, where as I think if teams knew then what they now know, he'd have been drafted higher.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    Your just arguing semantics. No Sims was not expected to go in the top 10. I can't say exactly where I would draw the line but anyone consideres a first round talent is a highly touted prospect. The only draft I would disagree with that is the NBA draft.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Your just arguing semantics. No Sims was not expected to go in the top 10. I can't say exactly where I would draw the line but anyone consideres a first round talent is a highly touted prospect. The only draft I would disagree with that is the NBA draft.
    *We're just arguing semantics, it ain't just me, but yes I realize that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    Yeah I realized I should have said we after I posted it. Probably should have edited it. But I am hard headed and like to argue..
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

yeezus (02-03-2014)

Playing the Waiting Game keithlaw's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    294 Posts
    cabrera just missed my namesakes top 100. cabrera and sims could both be top 25 prospects next year pretty easily and peraza could be a top 50

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Exactly how much do you think you can improve on a 96 win season? I mean legitimate improvement, not pie-in-the-sky hopes and dreams.

Has anyone you wanted to extend become a free-agent? Will they before tomorrow? Next month? Next year?

Why are his "hands tied"? Because we have arguably the most talented young team in baseball filled with players that 95% of the organizations in MLB would love to have TODAY. Poll the other 29 GMs in the game and ask them if they feel sorry for someone with Medlen, Minor, Teheran, Beachy, Wood, Freeman, Simmons, Heyward, the Uptons, Kimbrel and the rest of our pen and I bet you he doesn't get ONE sympathy vote.

You don't blow up what's been built, especially when facing the Braves' financial situation - you give them as many chances to compete as possible and go get them help IF the right piece comes along. If this team is healthy and as good as many think it can be as currently constructed come July, I have EVERY faith that Wren will go get the piece that's needed (assuming there is one that'll be a significant difference-maker).

Heyward - 2 years
    Freeman - ??? years ($100 million range)

New addition to the dictionary...

#Wrensanity
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The problem is that Wren played this entire offseason with his hands tied by the fact he couldn't take on anything more than a 1 year contract. What is the only reason he could have possibly wanted maximum payroll flexibility next offseason? Answer: he planned on signing the young core to extensions.

Well, he extended nobody. So now he has a bunch of scrap heap players on 1 year contracts AND the young core still haven't been extended.

This offseason has been a total bust for the Braves. I don't see how it can be viewed any other way.

Wren failed to improve the team for 2014/2015, and he failed to extend the 2 year window of opportunity to win with the current roster. He accomplished exactly nothing this offseason.
    Outside of 2B, what should he do?

Rotation is fine.

We have one of the top bullpens in baseball.

Guys like Vazquez, and a few lefties could make the pen and make an impact to go with Walden, Avilan, Carpenter, Kimbrel, etc.

There is not much that needs to be done, is all you do right negative posts?

We can get better by internal players improving, logic, try it.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    I still think our farm system is exactly where it's been ranked, in the 20-30 range. You really have to look at the teams top 10 lists and use those comparatively, and also judge on the type of impact the guys can have. We have the potential to move up a lot this year if our guys do well, but where is farm is at is to be expected based on how many guys we've graduated and have performing at a high level.
    Given the players we've brought up over the last 4-5 years, i dont think its too bad of a thing.

Cant hit on every draft pick, or international prospect (Julio)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by keithlaw View Post
    cabrera just missed my namesakes top 100. cabrera and sims could both be top 25 prospects next year pretty easily and peraza could be a top 50
    Law had a lot of positive things to say about Cabrera. Its very possible that the Braves have 3 top 50 prospects next year and could get a breakout from another guy or two to be in the top 100.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Mauricio Cabrera, RHP | Atlanta Braves
    Top 2013 level: Low Class A (Rome)

Cabrera sits 95-100 mph as a starter with exceptional arm strength that would probably make him a top-five pick if you threw him in a typical draft class. His curveball and changeup are still developing, the change further along, and he's learning how to pitch rather than just blow guys away with heat.

The arm strength is extraordinary, and Cabrera will pitch all of 2014 at age 20, with a high ceiling if he can start to convert his physical ability into practical baseball skills.
    Natural Immunity Croc