Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rosenthal: Growing Pains In Atlanta, Or Big Changes Coming?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    The Nats are playing so much better for Williams than Johnson.
    Or maybe they're just playing better and finally starting to realize they're a good team. It takes a while for new teammates to gel and build good team confidence.

Last year with CJ, Simmons and Freeman having career years we appeared better than we actually were.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Runnin For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (09-11-2014), VirginiaBrave (09-11-2014)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    Or maybe they're just playing better and finally starting to realize they're a good team. It takes a while for new teammates to gel and build good team confidence.

Last year with CJ, Simmons and Freeman having career years we appeared better than we actually were.
    Good points, especially about our guys. I think a lot of folks were optimistic that we'd see a repeat, especially on Johnson. I rag on Johnson a lot and I don't think he's all that good, but he's better than he's played this season. He just seems to be plagued by a Francoeur brainlock. I did think Simmons was over his head last year, but again, I didn't think he'd be this bad. The baseball gods have gotten back at Freeman for when he popped off in April or May about how no one could get him out. He's still had a solid season, but the offense started to get really erratic when he didn't maintain his early season pace.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Good points, especially about our guys. I think a lot of folks were optimistic that we'd see a repeat, especially on Johnson. I rag on Johnson a lot and I don't think he's all that good, but he's better than he's played this season. He just seems to be plagued by a Francoeur brainlock. I did think Simmons was over his head last year, but again, I didn't think he'd be this bad. The baseball gods have gotten back at Freeman for when he popped off in April or May about how no one could get him out. He's still had a solid season, but the offense started to get really erratic when he didn't maintain his early season pace.
    I think only the most dense members of the fan base expected anything other than regression from CJ this year. The only question was how much.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

BremanFan88 (09-11-2014)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I think only the most dense members of the fan base expected anything other than regression from CJ this year. The only question was how much.
    I expected a regression on Johnson, but not this much. I'm talking more about the people I tangled with when I wrote vehemently against the extension. They still seem to think he's good.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    I love the Braves and have since 1966. I am also probably the biggest optimist when it comes to trades and the future of the team. HOWEVER, it is time for them to clean up and go another direction headed towards the new stadium. Teheran, Wood, Kimbrell, Freeman, Simmons, Bethancourt and J Upton are my only keepers and nobody is untouchable. Wren and Fredi has to go as well. Just my O.

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by COGPK View Post
    I love the Braves and have since 1966. I am also probably the biggest optimist when it comes to trades and the future of the team. HOWEVER, it is time for them to clean up and go another direction headed towards the new stadium. Teheran, Wood, Kimbrell, Freeman, Simmons, Bethancourt and J Upton are my only keepers and nobody is untouchable. Wren and Fredi has to go as well. Just my O.
    I think you have to keep Heyward as well but I agree with the rest of your list.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Keeping Bethancourt rather than Gattis would be a big mistake imo.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (09-15-2014), JohnAdcox (09-16-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Keeping Bethancourt rather than Gattis would be a big mistake imo.
    Yep. Bethancourt needs a year as a backup. Gattis/Bethancourt is the right move. You can trade Gattis and go with Bethancourt (if he does a good job as backup) in 2016.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    I think it's OK to keep Heyward. He is still young and could break out soon. As for Gattis, he has trade value. We need to get away from the strike out guys. It would be nice to get a real leadoff hitter.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by COGPK View Post
    I think it's OK to keep Heyward. He is still young and could break out soon. As for Gattis, he has trade value. We need to get away from the strike out guys. It would be nice to get a real leadoff hitter.
    We need to get away from the guys that can't hit at the plate regardless if they K or not. Unless it's a mass overpay in return I don't see how trading one of the few guys that can hit is going to help this team. Gattis, Heyard, Freeman, and Justin aren't the problem. The problem is the other 4 spots are among the worst in baseball.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    We need to get away from the guys that can't hit at the plate regardless if they K or not. Unless it's a mass overpay in return I don't see how trading one of the few guys that can hit is going to help this team. Gattis, Heyard, Freeman, and Justin aren't the problem. The problem is the other 4 spots are among the worst in baseball.
    It amazes me that people want to add Bethancourt's .580 OPS to the everyday lineup.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    It amazes me that people want to add Bethancourt's .580 OPS to the everyday lineup.
    Yup that would then be 5 regular spots who are among the worst in the sport in hitting.

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    Even if we just found real hitters at CF and 3B, it would help tremendously.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    Even if we just found real hitters at CF and 3B, it would help tremendously.
    Even fielding zero WAR players at CF and 3B that didn't cost a quarter of payroll would help tremendously.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (09-16-2014)

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Bethancourt doesn't even have 1/2 a season of major league experience, or "sample rate," and at least one of the usual suspects already has his career written off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    Bethancourt doesn't even have 1/2 a season of major league experience, or "sample rate," and at least one of the usual suspects already has his career written off.
    I'm not writing him off. But I do think he has yet to show enough with the bat to justify inclusion into the everyday lineup.

Brian Jordan's New BFF JohnAdcox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I expected a regression on Johnson, but not this much. I'm talking more about the people I tangled with when I wrote vehemently against the extension. They still seem to think he's good.
    I was one of the ones for the extension. Not because I thought he was good, or even as good as he looked last year. It was because I didn't see anything better on the horizon for the money (I still don't), because the contract looked tradable, and because I didn't see THIS much of a regression.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    What should we expect out of CJ next year. Obviously something between 2013 and 2014, but closer to which?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnAdcox View Post
    I was one of the ones for the extension. Not because I thought he was good, or even as good as he looked last year. It was because I didn't see anything better on the horizon for the money (I still don't), because the contract looked tradable, and because I didn't see THIS much of a regression.
    I know I didn't tangle with you about Johnson. You are consistently polite and these guys weren't.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Everyone around here is consistently polite.

Except for thethe.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (09-16-2014)