Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL FALLING AXE PREDICTION THREAD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Nobody wanted to step up and be that leader this year and be the voice. FF needs to take that role. But Fredi G has to go. Somebody has to be the scape goat and firing just the hitting coaches won't do it. I love Simmons but him, Gattis, and TLS would be trade bait this off season and one of J UP and Heyward. Whichever one didn't wanna extend. We should be able to get a young stud 3b in one of those deals along with a CF and young pitching. Peraza takes over at SS. If Simmons were to stay then he has to hit 8th all the time if he's not willing to change his approach. I'd also check in with Lester to see what it'd take to sign him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    What this team needs is a good platoon or two. Platoons general mean a better bench and are less expensive. 3b is an obvious spot, CJ murders lefties. If only we had a left handed 3b who couldn't hit lefties and has good power . Maybe bring in a lefty OF bat that Gattis could platoon with in LF. Bethancourt has hit lefties well so we don't want Gattis starting at catcher vs lefties. Between platoon in left, once a 5-6 starts a month at catcher, and pinch hitting chances he would still be a full time player.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,508 Posts
    I think if the Braves manage to finish above .500 the rest of the way, and thus finish over .500 for the season, then that will buy Fredi one more year. If we continue to **** the bed from here on out and finish with a losing record, there is no way Fredi keeps his job IMO.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    I remember a few years ago when we were struggling seeing Chipper and the veterans calling for closed door meetings. And one game in particular at home that Chipper go the team together in the dugout to rally before taking the field.....losing McCann and Huddy really hurt us due to the lack of veteran leadership...

TP having to pull the infield together in LA to go off on them because of their lack of caring was just terrible...

Fredi needs to be gone,
    Walker/Fletcher have been extremely ineffective to this point this season

I wouldn't mind seeing someone like Joe McEwing taking over as manager

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    I think if the Braves manage to finish above .500 the rest of the way, and thus finish over .500 for the season, then that will buy Fredi one more year. If we continue to **** the bed from here on out and finish with a losing record, there is no way Fredi keeps his job IMO.
    Then I hope we lose out! No way Fredi deserves to be back either way IMO!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,508 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    I remember a few years ago when we were struggling seeing Chipper and the veterans calling for closed door meetings. And one game in particular at home that Chipper go the team together in the dugout to rally before taking the field.....losing McCann and Huddy really hurt us due to the lack of veteran leadership...

TP having to pull the infield together in LA to go off on them because of their lack of caring was just terrible...

Fredi needs to be gone,
    Walker/Fletcher have been extremely ineffective to this point this season

I wouldn't mind seeing someone like Joe McEwing taking over as manager
    And we lost that game and missed the playoffs. Veteran leadership is overrated.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    Nice post 50

I will tell you why I like TLS.

I don't think he's any form of superstar. But he should be a solid player. This year his numbers are. 10.3 BB% 11.4 K% .068 iso .290 BABIP 22.7 LD% 1.3 HR/FB%

Looking at those numbers he should have a higher BABIP. If we assume he should have a .330 BABIP (BABIP is estimated as your LD% plus .1.) his Average would go up to about 294. If his line was .294/.366/.362 would you complain at all? I wouldn't. His slg is also liekly down. I don't think from what I've seen that he has less power than Adam Eaton, Alcides Escobar, Norichka Aoki Elvis Andrus, or Zack Cozart who have high HR/FB this year.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

8. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (09-15-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Nice post 50

I will tell you why I like TLS.

I don't think he's any form of superstar. But he should be a solid player. This year his numbers are. 10.3 BB% 11.4 K% .068 iso .290 BABIP 22.7 LD% 1.3 HR/FB%

Looking at those numbers he should have a higher BABIP. If we assume he should have a .330 BABIP (BABIP is estimated as your LD% plus .1.) his Average would go up to about 294. If his line was .294/.366/.362 would you complain at all? I wouldn't. His slg is also liekly down. I don't think from what I've seen that he has less power than Adam Eaton, Alcides Escobar, Norichka Aoki Elvis Andrus, or Zack Cozart who have high HR/FB this year.
    I think you are generally right about the relative merits of La Stella and Gosselin. But if you look at their career minor league splits data and take defense into consideration, I think a case can be made for a platoon. Actually, I think an even better case is there to be made for a La Stella/Pastornicky platoon. But Gosselin is having one of those BABIP-fueled years this year that makes him look better than Pastornicky. Hopefully, the front office evaluates that properly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    There may be a case for a platoon, but I don't like Gosselin as a relatively high K guy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    I never had a huge problem with Ks until this year. **** 'em. Had enough for a decade or so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    I never had a huge problem with Ks until this year. **** 'em. Had enough for a decade or so.
    Our offensive problems have had more to do with lack of OBP than Ks. Now there is a bit of a relationship between the two but there is a distinction worth making. For example, a guy with Kubitza type statistics (at the major league level) is quite a bit more useful than one with CJ type numbers even both would have a similar high K rate.

Gosselin's more significant issue will turn out to be his walk rate rather than his strikeout rate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,508 Posts
    Power is the problem with our offense this year. I don't know how many times it needs to be said.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    1st and 2nd in the NL in 2013 in HR and SLG, respectively. 3rd in runs scored.

10th and 9th in the same categories this year. Fricking 14th in runs scored.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Power is the problem with our offense this year. I don't know how many times it needs to be said.

It is not either or. We've had problems both in the power and on base departments. The two together are a lethally bad combination. As we have seen.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (09-15-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    I'm not saying Ks are the main problem, I'm just saying I've had enough of them.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

jason27nc (09-15-2014)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Too many bad at bats. Getting runners on with no outs and not advancing them to the next base. K's are a big part of that, the hitters approach is apart of that.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanforlife88 For This Useful Post:

bravesnumberone (09-15-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,508 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    It is not either or. We've had problems both in the power and on base departments. The two together are a lethally bad combination. As we have seen.
    Except that those same guys who are low OBP this year, were also low OBP last year. The difference is that there is a power outage up and down our lineup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    The problem I have is we have 2 guys who K a lot in Bossman and Johnson who have no power. I don't mind Justin striking out cause he rips the tits off the ball. Other high K guys like Gattis, Johnson, and Gosselin don't walk enough. Freddie, Jason and TLS are the only ones who have healthy K/BB ratios. Though I will deal with Justins given his immense power. Power being down is our issue but with how crazy our buys swing youd' think we'd at least have that to show for the Ks.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Both stay, but the seat is officially hot in 2015. Its only warm now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaBrave View Post
    Both stay, but the seat is officially hot in 2015. Its only warm now.
    Warm? It's ****ing on fire.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

Heyward (09-16-2014), jason27nc (09-15-2014)