Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fredi On "The Leadoff Spot"

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Not a bad stance to take. Competition is always good to keep people on their toes.
    Think the message was likely made clear to Norris before he signed..."We can absolutely use a veteran to compete and provide a good example about how to prepare and other intangibles for these kids, and we'll guarantee you a spot in the rotation to START the season in April. How long you keep it will be entirely dependent on THREE things...

1.) How well you pitch.
    2.) Whether someone's interested in trading for you if you get off to a hot start.
    3.) When our "future" dictates to us that the future is now - even if that's before June.

"Don't think you'll be here if you're not pitching well - we're *issing a lot more than $2.5 million away on other players (Bourn and Swisher) who are going to be shown the door as soon as their replacements are ready."
    Last edited by clvclv; 02-18-2016 at 03:14 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I think the rotation coming out of spring training will be:

1. Teheran
    2. Wisler
    3. Norris
    4. Banuelos
    5. One of Chacin/Kendrick

It makes very little sense to start the service clocks of Blair and Newcomb right at the start of the season.
    I like that rotation for where we are. Play that for a couple of months and then hope that one of the vets is playing well enough to trade them something of use and the bring up Blair. Hopefully the other is solid and deal him at the deadline and bring up Newcombe.

I think if you want to be good in 17 you need at least one of Blair or Newcombe to get a lot of experience this year. I guess the Mets had a bunch of rookie starters, but that is not the norm and as much as I like our guys I don't think they are that level.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    I think the more likely scenario is that Norris, Chacin and Kendrick pitch their way out of the rotation by our magic adjustment date of 5/31. Then they promote studs, keep them an extra year. Although I do like Chacin. He could be an underrated signing, so flippable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Someone said last night (I honestly can't remember who) that they thought Wisler had an "ace" gear to his makeup. They continued to say they don't think he reaches that, but that he's remarkably underrated and could be a high-2 type of guy and EASY 3. Thoughts on that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,049 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Someone said last night (I honestly can't remember who) that they thought Wisler had an "ace" gear to his makeup. They continued to say they don't think he reaches that, but that he's remarkably underrated and could be a high-2 type of guy and EASY 3. Thoughts on that?
    I don't see Wisler becoming an ace without either his stuff developing fairly significantly or him refining ridiculous control. I don't see either happening. He doesn't have any huge holes in his game but he also lacks any dominant attribute to hang his hat on that's necessary to be an ace.

His stuff is good but he doesn't have the high end fastball or devastating breaking pitch needed to overpower hitters. Similarly, his command isn't terrible (it could be stand to be sharpened but that will come with time) but it also shows no signs of being elite. He's not going to be able to carve hitters up like Maddux or Glavine.

He's a guy I could see packaging a great approach with decent stuff to max out as a solid number 2. I think it's more likely he ends up as a steady number 3 starter who has a couple seasons as a number 2 at his peak.

I just can't see him suddenly developing some elite aspect of his game that he'd have to in order to become an ace.

Arizona Fall Leaguer Anthony J. Pierzynski's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    On XM with Steve Phillips and Todd Hollandsworth this morning...

1.) Julio likely Opening Day starter - surprise, surprise!!!
    2.) EVERYBODY with an arm in camp has a shot at the rotation - four spots open.
    3.) Olivera is much better than what we've seen - already in camp.
    4.) The "Hi. My name is..." t-shirts are back.
    5.) Going to take things easy with Grilli.
    6.) No defined Closer - everybody (Grilli, Vizcaino, Johnson) will likely have shots at different times.
    7.) Swanson's Dad coached Fredi's son when the two played on the same East Cobb team. No set timetable on Fredi's end - he plays as soon as he's ready.
    8.) Flowers will be the main Catcher. A. J. will fill-in whenever Fredi's "tired of him being in the dugout" (big laughter).
    #8 is clearly some made-up bull****. Skip told me that I was the starter, but Florist was going to get more reps because I was needed in the dugout for strategy and leadership stuff.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthony J. Pierzynski For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (02-19-2016), UNCBlue012 (02-19-2016)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    I don't see Wisler becoming an ace without either his stuff developing fairly significantly or him refining ridiculous control. I don't see either happening. He doesn't have any huge holes in his game but he also lacks any dominant attribute to hang his hat on that's necessary to be an ace.

His stuff is good but he doesn't have the high end fastball or devastating breaking pitch needed to overpower hitters. Similarly, his command isn't terrible (it could be stand to be sharpened but that will come with time) but it also shows no signs of being elite. He's not going to be able to carve hitters up like Maddux or Glavine.

He's a guy I could see packaging a great approach with decent stuff to max out as a solid number 2. I think it's more likely he ends up as a steady number 3 starter who has a couple seasons as a number 2 at his peak.

I just can't see him suddenly developing some elite aspect of his game that he'd have to in order to become an ace.
    Why does a pitcher HAVE to have electric stuff to be an ace? sure it helps but I would not say Glavine or Maddux had electric stuff. Maddux moved the ball all over the place but was built on putting it where he wanted it. He averaged around 6/9 innings.. not huge and I would say a lot of those K's were looking.. Glavine was better known for stubbornness and a good change up that just disappeared.. again Tommy would not blow you away.. Both of those guys are HOF who won by knowing how to pitch and learning what worked for them.

Maybe Wisler is not that good.. but I wouldn't say, that he can't become an ace because he doesn't have good stuff. He can become an ace just as easily as Folty/Newcomb/Allard/Touki/ or Blair can. It is nice to type 5 names off the top of your head that are in the organization that have such high ceilings.. I know there are more too..(Fried)..

But back to Wisler, the last 5 games he pitched 34+ innings to a 2.34 ERA and a 1.14 Whip.. that was against Mets(2)/Nats/Blue Jays/Cards.. 4 playoff teams and the media world champs last season. So, Yes, he can pitch like an ace.. just needs to consistently do that.