Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So the question is this....

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts

So the question is this....

I don't know why we would try to sign or trade for a vet pitcher IF things pan out the way it seems it will.
    5 Spots
    1. Folty: Up and down but has shown enough that it would be shocking if he wasn't in the rotation.
    2. Julio: Has pitched better as of late and probably can't get much value for him via trade...he'll be here.
    3. Gohora: Young big lefty...you have to give him a full year to develop before making any decisions (I think he will stick)
    4. Newcomb: Same with Newk....he needs a full year of development(not sure he makes it).
    5. Fried: I want Fried to get the same look as the two above (I could flip a coin on if he makes it).

Now on top of that, you have Dickey that could be a long man and slip right into the rotation if one of the young guys implode. You also could throw Sims in there for spot starts.

Here is the biggest point besides these young arms needing experience. By the trade deadline we could have Soroka, Allard, Wright and Touki knocking the door down. Weigel could be in the mix by the end of the year. For the next three years, we will have multiple arms ready to be called up. I don't know how we get MLB experience for all these guys even if some are traded, and really...who would you feel good about trading out of that bunch this early? By next trade deadline, I figure out of Gohora, Folty, Newk and Fried....whoever fails....just plug in the next prospect(s) who have earned it.

To me, with all the nice arms coming up...let it be an open competition. If we start trading half of them, we could very well trade some of the keepers. Sure if there was a Sale type "true ace" guy out there maybe, but there isn't. Fuller (arm may fall off) or Archer (I have great stuff but also a big ERA)...no thanks. Start the best five and trade the ones AFTER they fail (not before). Keep a cheap rotation and put some more money into the offense. Scoring more runs will take pressure off the young pitchers.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Gohara needs to work on his change, and he needs to work on it in AAA. There is no reason to waste the service time of a 21 year old so he can refine something he can work on at AAA. If he were 23 or 24 it would be different.

The 2018 rotation needs to be Teheran, Folty, Newk, Fried and either Dickey (if they are punting) or some other FA (if they are trying to be better). Newk and Fried need to be in the rotation to either prove they belong, or are BP arms.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Jaw (09-20-2017), JohnAdcox (09-22-2017), Managuarantano's Volunteers (09-19-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    What is your mechanism for calling up Gohara if the other 5 pitch well?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    injuries, poor performance, etc etc...we can't predict the exact details but in a typical season teams will give 8 starters 10 or more starts

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Gohara needs to work on his change, and he needs to work on it in AAA. There is no reason to waste the service time of a 21 year old so he can refine something he can work on at AAA. If he were 23 or 24 it would be different.

The 2018 rotation needs to be Teheran, Folty, Newk, Fried and either Dickey (if they are punting) or some other FA (if they are trying to be better). Newk and Fried need to be in the rotation to either prove they belong, or are BP arms.
    I don't disagree but I'll be surprised if he doesn't start in the rotation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    injuries, poor performance, etc etc...we can't predict the exact details but in a typical season teams will give 8 starters 10 or more starts
    Would that happen in April? May? I agree those events will happen but it's risky IMO to keep a guy like Gohara in AAA when every baseball fan knows he deserves to be in the big leagues.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Also, I don't think all those guys you listed will still be Braves by opening day. This FO is probably gearing up for some aqusitions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Would that happen in April? May? I agree those events will happen but it's risky IMO to keep a guy like Gohara in AAA when every baseball fan knows he deserves to be in the big leagues.
    details not known at this point

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    also we can always trade away starting pitching as we have done with Garcia, Chacin and Norris the past couple years

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    also we can always trade away starting pitching as we have done with Garcia, Chacin and Norris the past couple years
    I dont think they want to trade any of those pitchers until the trading dealing 2018 at the earliest. Allard/Soroka/Wright need at least 4 more months in the minors.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    The topic of gohara starting the year at AAA is certainly a good debate, but it's a futile exercise... gohara will start the year as an Atlanta brave

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    Also, I don't think all those guys you listed will still be Braves by opening day. This FO is probably gearing up for some aqusitions.
    Acquire who exactly? What pitcher is worth the cost acquiring ? Only other spot we would upgrade is 3rd base.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    The topic of gohara starting the year at AAA is certainly a good debate, but it's a futile exercise... gohara will start the year as an Atlanta brave
    u sure about that one?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Knucksie (09-20-2017)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I think you are right. Already on the 40
    Man....he'll be there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    u sure about that one?
    Pretty sure.

Teheran
    Folty
    FA
    Newcomb
    Gohara

Or...

Teheran
    FA
    FA
    Gohara
    Newcomb/folty (other in the pen)
    Last edited by msstate7; 09-19-2017 at 08:56 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    If there are no injuries and Newk and Fried figure it out, the Braves trade the FA.

I find it extremely unlikely a spot for Gohara won't open up organically in a couple months.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Acquire who exactly? What pitcher is worth the cost acquiring ? Only other spot we would upgrade is 3rd base.
    Not sure whoever we acquire will be worth the cost. I just have a strong belief the execs will push for a better team, but I'm open to being wrong.

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

Per usual, agree with you on rotation. I want to give Fried a shot. He used to be a great prospect.
    AKA International Bonus Pool Slot

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    Not sure whoever we acquire will be worth the cost. I just have a strong belief the execs will push for a better team, but I'm open to being wrong.
    You are probably right. I have a feeling there I will be feeling sick more than once this offseason lol. They are in a perfect position if they make the right moves and don't force things.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    The ony thing I feel certain about is Allard, Soroka, and Wright are ones we want to come up and stick when they're ready. Soroka and wright even moreso than Allard. How we shuffle everyone else until that time is to be determined and there are a lot of ways we can go with this. If it were me I'd be looking to add 2 legit starters to team with Julio, Folty, and Newcomb to form a solid major league rotation and have a killer AAA rotation. The word would be out if you don't want one of these kids to take your spot then you better earn it. I'd flip Julio in the first half if he has a good season. I'd demote Newk o Folty to the pen if they do not do well and someone else is showing they deserve to be called up. I'd flip someone we just acquired if it made sense and we got more than we gave up.

I know people have said that they're worried about everyone getting their fair share, but I think what this FO wants is that exact problem. If we have 10 quality starters between Atlanta and Gwinette come June with a couple more in AA not far behind then we'll be the prettiest girl at the ball with all kind of options