Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Camargo

NL Rookie of the Year Acuña’s Bat Flip's Avatar
    Gaffney, South Carolina (Home of the Big Butt "Peach" on I-85)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl View Post
    I wish Camargo was a Ramirez that is bubbling, but he's Matt Chapman lite lite. His defense is good but it isn't even elite as he makes bonehead plays. That's not a terrible thing though.
    He watched Frazier score tonight, it was maddening! He should have at least gotten him in a pickle.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,132 Posts
    Are we still buying that inflated BB rate?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Jaw (08-06-2018)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    I never thought it was as good as May but I think about 7% might be real, because in life it's never as good or as bad as it seems.

As I've said though, Camargo....true talent .650 OPS'er on that left side.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,132 Posts
    Now let's discuss the HR/FB rates....

RH = 19.4%
    LH = 15.2%

That would put him in the Top 20% among qualified batters while batting RHed, and in the Top 40% of qualified hitters while batting LHed.

Does his exit velocities on FBs warrant those HR/FB marks?

RH = 92.9 mph
    LH = 89.2 mph

His FB exit velocities rank in the Top 40% while batting RHed, and in the BOTTOM 10% batting LHed.

So how sustainable do we think it is for a guy to have an above average HR/FB rate while sporting one of the worst average exit velocities on FBs?

Do we still think his 16.9% HR/FB so far in 2018 rate is sustainable (and by extension, that .200 ISO)? Or did we all learn something from watching what happened to the HR/FB rates of guys like MAdams, Suzuki, and Albies?
    Last edited by Enscheff; 08-06-2018 at 01:47 PM.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    93 Posts
    I do think there is room for him to improve. He's already shown that he's improved dramatically from where he was in the minors.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atl717 View Post
    I do think there is room for him to improve. He's already shown that he's improved dramatically from where he was in the minors.
    How exactly has he improved?

Every predictive measure shows he is likely to walk 5%-7% of the time with an ISO of .100-.150 as a LHH....exactly what his MiLB numbers suggest.

I’m willing to bet the Braves FO is projecting him in exactly this manner, which is why they have been looking for a LHH guy at 3b.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 08-06-2018 at 02:16 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Now let's discuss the HR/FB rates....

RH = 19.4%
    LH = 15.2%

That would put him in the Top 20% among qualified batters while batting RHed, and in the Top 40% of qualified hitters while batting LHed.

Does his exit velocities on FBs warrant those HR/FB marks?

RH = 92.9 mph
    LH = 89.2 mph

His FB exit velocities rank in the Top 40% while batting RHed, and in the BOTTOM 10% batting LHed.

So how sustainable do we think it is for a guy to have an above average HR/FB rate while sporting one of the worst average exit velocities on FBs?

Do we still think his 16.9% HR/FB so far in 2018 rate is sustainable (and by extension, that .200 ISO)? Or did we all learn something from watching what happened to the HR/FB rates of guys like MAdams, Suzuki, and Albies?
    As good as Carmargo has been, I think your analysis shows why we need someone who hits right-handed pitching well to shore up the left side of the infield. When you add the career splits data of Swanson and Albies the case becomes even more compelling.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    As good as Carmargo has been, I think your analysis shows why we need someone who hits right-handed pitching well to shore up the left side of the infield. When you add the career splits data of Swanson and Albies the case becomes even more compelling.
    I’m really interested in learning who they were targeting but didn’t ultimately acquire. I bet Chico’s idea about Shaw is correct.

Maybe Profar since we heard all that chatter about the Rangers scouting Gohara?
    Last edited by Enscheff; 08-06-2018 at 02:20 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    gohara for gallo who says no
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts

Perhaps someone like Solarte?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    I’m trying to believe that Gallo wasn’t the target, but he’s the exact same type player as Duvall...all or nothing slugger with just enough OBP with the platoon advantage to be an asset when deployed properly.

Gallo is another likely target. I hope it never happens.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,132 Posts
    I still can’t believe the Braves allowed Flaherty to be the only LH hitter off the bench during a playoff chase though. It should have been an easy upgrade to make.

Whoever the primary target may have been, a backup acquisition should have been ready to go.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    I still can’t believe the Braves allowed Flaherty to be the only LH hitter off the bench during a playoff chase though. It should have been an easy upgrade to make.

Whoever the primary target may have been, a backup acquisition should have been ready to go.
    it's pretty bad the more i think about it. no excuse for keeping flaherty around.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    How exactly has he improved?

Every predictive measure shows he is likely to walk 5%-7% of the time with an ISO of .100-.150 as a LHH....exactly what his MiLB numbers suggest.

I’m willing to bet the Braves FO is projecting him in exactly this manner, which is why they have been looking for a LHH guy at 3b.

I agree with you that Camargo is best suited for utility role perhaps on a platoon basis.

But Team Camargo can certainly point to a very real increase in power from both sides of the plate.

He's made himself into an average hitter from the right side wRC+ at 100, ISO at 150, BABIP at 278. the HR/FB rate might inflated, but he could still be growing into his power. The 15% rate looks more accurate than his 2% rate in 2017. the walk rate in general is definitely too high. I don't see his making big strides there to be particularly realistic.

If you are going to dream on Camargo that's where you start. In the sense that he's coming late to his power and improving generally, but specifically as a LH hitter.

The Braves unfortunately now have three starters with strong defensive skills who struggle from at least from one side of the plate. That seems like at least one too many.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts

Flaherty can pinch bunt with the best of them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts

BiLE is the only possible explanation.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,861 Posts
    BiLE is the only possible explanation.
    I'm surprised he hasn't been hit with a DL stint so he could stay on the team but not play until the rosters expand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Good lord, I hope we do

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Good lord, I hope we do
    This.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I'm surprised he hasn't been hit with a DL stint so he could stay on the team but not play until the rosters expand.
    I am hoping that is the plan soon.