Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FBI arrests man Myrtle Beach for planning Dylan Roof type attack

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts

FBI arrests man Myrtle Beach for planning Dylan Roof type attack

i won't hold my breath on the president talking about this but i don't want you to not be informed about this:

FBI arrests man Myrtle Beach for planning Dylan Roof type attack

MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) – A man with connections to a white supremacy group was arrested in Myrtle Beach Wednesday after purchasing a gun from an undercover FBI agent, apparently intending to commit an attack “in the spirit of Dylann Roof.”

On December 26, 2016, McDowell posted to Facebook a message: “I love love to act what u think,” followed by a link to the Temple Emanu-El Conservative Synagogue in Myrtle Beach, according to court documents. Horry County Police indicated to the FBI that McDowell had established White Supremacy Extremist connections while serving in prison in South Carolina for various criminal offenses. He also had tattoos indicating an affiliation with these groups. Read more about McDowell's criminal past here.

According to the federal complaint document, on January 5, 2017, McDowell posted to Facebook an anti-semetic screed referencing Dylann Roof, which included the statement: “you want to post if you ain’t got the heart to fight for Yahweh like dylann roof did you need to shut the f***** up…”

Dylann Roof was sentenced to death in January after being found guilty in the murder of nine African-American parishioners at the Emanuel AME Church in Charleston in June of 2015. Read more stories related to Roof here.

On January 6, the FBI found a message from McDowell on Facebook Instant Messenger revealing that he requested an “iron,” a coded term for a gun.

McDowell first met with the undercover FBI agent on January 12, believing that the agent “handled problems for the Aryan Nations,” the court document states. The agent met with McDowell at a Myrtle Beach hotel and discussed obtaining a gun, saying that he didn’t want it being traced back to him. McDowell said he didn’t want an attack coming back to him either, and he wanted to be “scot-free.” He emphasized that he did not want to get caught and go back to jail.

McDowell went on to say that “I got the heart to do that s***, but I don’t have to the good training,” the document states. He told the agent he sought a way to conduct an attack on non-whites without getting caught. He continued: “If I could do something on a f***** big scale and write on the f***** building or whatever, ‘In the spirit of Dylann Roof.’” McDowell told the officer he had not decided on a place or time to conduct the attack.

The next day, McDowell requested in a phone call with the agent a .40 caliber handgun to conduct an attack on an unknown location outside the county where he lived, the complaint states.

After another racist Facebook post and more conversations with the agent, McDowell planned to meet again in person to discuss the plan for the attack, according to the document.

The complaint states that on February 15, McDowell met with the agent as planned and purchased a .40 caliber Glock, the firing pin of which had been shaved down without McDowell’s knowledge, and hollow point ammunition.

Later that same day, agents saw McDowell holding a bag in the parking lot of the Hampton Inn in Myrtle Beach, and he was arrested and searched, the document states. Agents found a marijuana cigarette, a cell phone, the handgun and the ammunition.

McDowell appeared in a federal courtroom in Florence for an initial appearance on a charge of felon in possession of a firearm or ammunition. The prosecution requested a preliminary hearing and detention hearing by held at the same time, Tuesday, February 21 at 2:30 p.m. McDowell had not hired an attorney and was represented by a state-appointed attorney. McDowell will be booked at the Florence County Detention Center.

Rabbi Avi Perets of the Temple Emanu-El Conservative Synagogue in Myrtle Beach said he was not able to comment at this time under advice of the FBI, but said his hat was off to the police and he is beyond thankful that this potential threat was caught and stopped.
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (02-22-2017), jpx7 (02-22-2017)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    This guy is legitimately a moron: “you want to post if you ain’t got the heart to fight for Yahweh like dylann roof did you need to shut the f***** up…”

but then he wants to attack a Synagogue?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-22-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    McDowell - huh?

do we refer to him as a Radical Scot/Irish Terrorist

and when will the President
    a) condemn RSIT
    b) say the words RSIT
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    This guy is legitimately a moron: “you want to post if you ain’t got the heart to fight for Yahweh like dylann roof did you need to shut the f***** up…”

but then he wants to attack a Synagogue?
    I think the irony may be lost on this guy.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-22-2017)

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    This guy is legitimately a moron:
    yeah, looking at his picture and him thinking he is the master race and better than others gives that away

but i digress
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    At the risk of being accused of fatism, I would say the suspect could have easily hidden his ammunition between his multiple chins.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (02-22-2017)

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Guys on the spectrum.

No normal person gets a gun and confides in a stranger that he wants to commit a mass murder.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    and what is the difference between this lunatic doing it and a lunatic in Syria that straps a bomb to his waist ?
    what is the difference between this lunatic and each of the 19 lunatics that hijacked 3 planes ?

why does this call for a police solution and the others I described military ?
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    and what is the difference between this lunatic doing it and a lunatic in Syria that straps a bomb to his waist ?
    what is the difference between this lunatic and each of the 19 lunatics that hijacked 3 planes ?

You are without a doubt an idiot, the moran on this board.

JFC, I just shake my head at you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post

I know what they both have in common. Religon. How many religious people here would kill if they thought thats what their god wanted. If you wouldnt then your just an atheist but refuse to admit it.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Do these lunatics have standing armies?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Do these lunatics have standing armies?
    Huh?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

goldfly (02-22-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Huh?
    Some love to use the argument why are these people different from Islamic terrorists and it should be addressed with the same attention. Just trying to identify differences.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    I know what they both have in common. Religon. How many religious people here would kill if they thought thats what their god wanted. If you wouldnt then your just an atheist but refuse to admit it.
    Why address a board idiot, even those that somewhat agree with him don't even address him because ahem he's an ideological idiot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Some love to use the argument why are these people different from Islamic terrorists and it should be addressed with the same attention. Just trying to identify differences.
    Are we in danger of being invaded by a standing army?

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-22-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Julio, you are better than that. You are essentially calling him an idiot. Man come on. You know that no nation on Earth could land a army on our soil and not be decimated, with 350 mil guns we on, every citizen even children could kill a combatant. Even Japan acknowledge this what 70 years ago. You land on USA territory you will be shot by ANYONE.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    No but it speaks to the size of the threat and how comical it is to compare this type of attack to Islamic terrorism.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    No but it speaks to the size of the threat and how comical it is to compare this type of attack to Islamic terrorism.
    I'm not sure why it's so hard to validate the idea that "this type of attack" poses a tangible (if small) danger to the lives of Americans. Agreeing with that statement is irrelevant to one's feelings about the threat (also real, also small) of radicalized Islamist terrorism.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-22-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    I'm not sure why it's so hard to validate the idea that "this type of attack" poses a tangible (if small) danger to the lives of Americans. Agreeing with that statement is irrelevant to one's feelings about the threat (also real, also small) of radicalized Islamist terrorism.
    It's about the actual threat to the world. It's not even comparable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    It's about the actual threat to the world. It's not even comparable.
    Worldwide, maybe not, but that's apples and oranges when comparing the threat inside our borders. I'm just commenting on the propensity to discount homegrown ethno-nationalist/"patriot" terrorists, when the evidence suggests that it's a legitimate concern. Remember what the largest pre-9/11/01 terrorist attack in the US was.