Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Now they'll definitely take McKay lol!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Lulz on us not taking McKay because of Matt Adams. But hey, I'm good with whatever means lead us to not taking McKay.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Lulz on us not taking McKay because of Matt Adams. But hey, I'm good with whatever means lead us to not taking McKay.
    Yeah, statements like that make me totally dismiss the entire article.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Talk about the rich getting richer - Mayo has Beck sliding all the way to the Yankees in his latest mock...

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/233694...cid=151437456#
    Not sure I understand this comment though. how can the rich get richer if everyone else poorer passes on him?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Yeah, statements like that make me totally dismiss the entire article.
    This doesn't invalidate his point though. A bat-first first baseman that's a year or two away from the majors doesn't make that much sense when Freddie is going to be here to block him for a long time. The Matt Adams part was unnecessary flourish.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Not sure I understand this comment though. how can the rich get richer if everyone else poorer passes on him?
    There would be a very good chance that the Yankees could land the highest ceiling hitter in the draft and he'd arguably be their #9 ranked prospect - and 5th best offensive prospect (behind Dustin Fowler).

His ceiling would rank him much higher on our list - behind Acuna, but maybe not Maitan. While it's certainly WAY too early to get overly concerned with Albies' struggles, he definitely doesn't belong at the top of our list at this point, and with pitching prospect success being the crapshoot it's always been, you could almost make the argument that our list would look like Acuna, Maitan, Allard, Soroka, Beck following the draft if we took him.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Because people are assuming that Beck is good because he might fall to the braves, he is a hitter with tools, and he's more of a mystery than players who have faced higher level competition. He's also from the braves footprint and has been mocked to and discussed as a brave.

Reality is Yankees will add a similar level talent as most of the rest of the top10 most likely.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    There would be a very good chance that the Yankees could land the highest ceiling hitter in the draft and he'd arguably be their #9 ranked prospect - and 5th best offensive prospect (behind Dustin Fowler).

His ceiling would rank him much higher on our list - behind Acuna, but maybe not Maitan. While it's certainly WAY too early to get overly concerned with Albies' struggles, he definitely doesn't belong at the top of our list at this point, and with pitching prospect success being the crapshoot it's always been, you could almost make the argument that our list would look like Acuna, Maitan, Allard, Soroka, Beck following the draft if we took him.
    In terms of ceiling? Beck would definitely slot behind Maitan. How would he slot lower among our position prospects than NY's in terms of ceiling?

Acuna, Maitan, Albies is a better group (again, in terms of ceiling) than Torres, Frazier, Rutherford.

And LOL on dropping Albies to #6 because he hasn't lit the world on fire in AAA at age 20. You realize Rutherford is 4 months younger than Albies and putting up only a slightly better line in A ball?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Because people are assuming that Beck is good because he might fall to the braves, he is a hitter with tools, and he's more of a mystery than players who have faced higher level competition. He's also from the braves footprint and has been mocked to and discussed as a brave.

Reality is Yankees will add a similar level talent as most of the rest of the top10 most likely.
    That is my take. Anyone picking in the top 10 will add a top prospect

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    In terms of ceiling? Beck would definitely slot behind Maitan. How would he slot lower among our position prospects than NY's in terms of ceiling?

Acuna, Maitan, Albies is a better group (again, in terms of ceiling) than Torres, Frazier, Rutherford.

And LOL on dropping Albies to #6 because he hasn't lit the world on fire in AAA at age 20. You realize Rutherford is 4 months younger than Albies and putting up only a slightly better line in A ball?
    Clvclv is always gonna go all clvclv

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts

I can guarantee you with 100% certainty that clv doesn't realize much of anything that could be considered a rational thought.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    These mock drafts have me worried. I hope the pick is NOT Gore. Nothing against the kid personally I've heard he's a very smart person and a hard worker. However knowing and communicating with some of his coaches and seeing him pitch once before I just hope that he is not the Braves top pick.

Best case is he gets taken ahead of 5.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Beck had a private workout with us today apparently.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Beck had a private workout with us today apparently.
    One of several private workouts. I really think he's the pick if Wright's not there.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach_Chris View Post
    These mock drafts have me worried. I hope the pick is NOT Gore. Nothing against the kid personally I've heard he's a very smart person and a hard worker. However knowing and communicating with some of his coaches and seeing him pitch once before I just hope that he is not the Braves top pick.

Best case is he gets taken ahead of 5.
    Why?

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Why?
    The competition he has faced has not been above-average to put it nicely. The time that I saw him pitch he went against a larger School that wasn't very good and he struggled. The smaller teams that have a hard time fielding a team he rolls through. On his summer showcase team he participated on he was a very good arm coming out of the bullpen. Questions like that are what make me doubt we should take him with the fifth pick.

When I saw him it was earlier in the High School season; so there is a chance something could have clicked. It feels like he's just full of helium right now rising up the draft boards.

And this could be a me problem. My perception of a first-round draft pick especially a top-five pick is one that's going to come in and make a Major Impact. One that will sell a lot of jerseys and one that could be a huge difference maker in the future. So maybe my expectations are a little too high.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    The competition he has faced has not been above-average to put it nicely. The time that I saw him pitch he went against a larger School that wasn't very good and he struggled. The smaller teams that have a hard time fielding a team he rolls through. On his summer showcase team he participated on he was a very good arm coming out of the bullpen. Questions like that are what make me doubt we should take him with the fifth pick.

When I saw him it was earlier in the High School season; so there is a chance something could have clicked. It feels like he's just full of helium right now rising up the draft boards.

And this could be a me problem. My perception of a first-round draft pick especially a top-five pick is one that's going to come in and make a Major Impact. One that will sell a lot of jerseys and one that could be a huge difference maker in the future. So maybe my expectations are a little too high.
    Interesting, good stuff. Thanks for sharing that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I'm just not sold on Beck. I still hope it's Lewis. Halsey is pretty intriguing too.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    ? Like, immediately? If so, you likely haven't paid attention to the MLB Draft since Horner.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    I'm just not sold on Beck. I still hope it's Lewis. Halsey is pretty intriguing too.
    I like the Haseley guy a lot, people would flip their lids because he doesn't have the 'upside' of Beck but he sounds like a really good hitter who is plenty good defensively. Only knock is he's not going to be a masher. I'm Ok with that.

I think it's almost a coin flip if you take a guy like Beck.