Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Garcia being traded to Twins

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    He's 19 years old. My guess is he'll fill out. For a smart guy, you make a ton of careless mistakes.
    I'm not sure how I made a mistake, but ok. Even Longenhagen says his FA isn't protectable, but I'm sure you know more

Speaking of mistakes, how'd that opinion that Garcia increased his trade value turn out?
    Last edited by Enscheff; 07-24-2017 at 08:25 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Id rather have Gant than Ynoa.
    I'd disagree, but to each their own

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I'm not sure how I made a mistake, but ok. Even Longenhagen says his FA isn't protectable, but I'm sure you know more

Speaking of mistakes, how'd that opinion that Garcia increased his trade value turn out?
    When you say "small" when describing an athlete, you are insinuating "short." There is nothing "small" about Ynoa at this point in his career. He may fill out. He may not. I just know that I'm not careless when describing guys.

I never contended that Garcia's trade value would go up. You must have me confused with someone else. He could have thrown a no-hitter or gotten shelled and it wouldn't have made that much of a difference. My guess is he was heading to the Twins and the deal was down to a few guys.
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 07-24-2017 at 08:37 PM.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    599 Posts
    Why would someone want to do so much harm to this board- and Sav- by running posters off to just to brag and gloat about being right?

My mother taught me that when you are correct in an argument then just move on. No need to rub anyone's face in it. That reeks of poor manners and poor upbringing.
    "I was right!! SEE SEE SEE!!!!"
    What is the point of that ?
    The fact that a poster took the time to go back and pull quotes where others made incorrect predictions is a reflection of the poster in question, and that is a sad reflection at best.
    Despite the informative content said poster provides, I'd ban that ass so fast it wouldn't be funny. That behavior is costing a whole lot of clicks....
    Just saying.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Off to game thread.
    HV

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hulavol For This Useful Post:

BoneThrower (07-24-2017), clvclv (07-25-2017), frostpro (07-24-2017), Garmel (07-24-2017), NYCBrave (07-25-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulavol View Post
    Why would someone want to do so much harm to this board- and Sav- by running posters off to just to brag and gloat about being right?

My mother taught me that when you are correct in an argument then just move on. No need to rub anyone's face in it. That reeks of poor manners and poor upbringing.
    The fact that a poster took the time to go back and pull quotes where others made incorrect predictions is a reflection of the poster in question, and that is a sad reflection at best.
    Despite the informative content said poster provides, I'd ban that ass so fast it wouldn't be funny. That behavior is costing a whole lot of clicks....
    Just saying.

Off to game thread.
    HV
    ^

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,278 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulavol View Post

Just saying.

Off to game thread.
    HV
    I honestly think he may be a bit younger then the majority of us. Just stop replying to to him.
    Last edited by TURBO; 07-24-2017 at 08:49 PM.

Lynchburg Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Confused as to why ATL didnt pay more of his salary

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TURBO View Post
    I honestly think he may be a bit younger then the majority of us, or a lonely sad person. Just stop replying to to him.
    This board reeks of sad, lonely people. So do most boards. Their purpose is to keep "them" off rooftops with rifles.

I just kinda wish a lot of you might look in the mirror before disparaging commentary. I know the high road is boring, but I prefer it.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Cell View Post
    Because they are getting ready to pay Sonny Gray (or someone) with that money.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,278 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    This board reeks of sad, lonely people. So do most boards. Their purpose is to keep "them" off rooftops with rifles.

I just kinda wish a lot of you might look in the mirror before disparaging commentary. I know the high road is boring, but I prefer it.
    Was more just saying to ignore him, Wasnt trying to start anything with him.

edit: will edit it out. Dont want to add fuel to the nonsense.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    When you say "small" when describing an athlete, you are insinuating "short." There is nothing "small" about Ynoa at this point in his career. He may fill out. He may not. I just know that I'm not careless when describing guys.

I never contended that Garcia's trade value would go up. You must have me confused with someone else. He could have thrown a no-hitter or gotten shelled and it wouldn't have made that much of a difference. My guess is he was heading to the Twins and the deal was down to a few guys.
    No, small does not mean short. Uggla was not small, he was short.

I used small in place of "undersized frame", which is how I read him described.

Go ahead and chalk that up as a win for yourself if it makes you guys feel like you caught the professor making a spelling mistake on the whiteboard. Hopefully it makes everyone that decided to rail against me for 5 pages feel better.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    I don't know how much of a market there was for Garcia and I don't know what paying more salary would have netted us from the Twins. rico and I differ on the subject, but there isn't much in the Twins' system right now. They've graduated a ton of guys in the past three years (Sano, Kepler, Buxton, Polanco, Rosario, Berrios) and that has thinned things out dramatically. I doubt any of their top four (Gordon, Gonsalves, Romero, Kirilloff) were in the discussion and things drop off from there. All guesswork on my part.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    I'm really disappointed that we are in the bottom half of payroll in MLB and that we have to shed money to afford a cost controlled young starting pitcher.

That's the only takeaway I have from this trade.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

NinersSBChamps (07-24-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Was more just saying to ignore him, Wasnt trying to start anything with him.

edit: will edit it out. Dont want to add fuel to the nonsense.
    Dude it doesn't matter. Folks talk more about me than they do about baseball. It's odd, but normal here.

Those same folks also spend a lot of energy trying to argue against me over anything they possibly can. So yeah, after 5 pages of 7 different people railing against me, telling me how I don't understand baseball or simple economics...I'm going to rub it in a bit.

Want an example? Look at 50 arguing with me over the meaning of the word "small" a couple posts above this. Does that seem normal to you? He is trying to prove me wrong about any little thing he can...just to feel like he was right about something I said.

Don't like it? Put me on ignore. I'll do the same and neither of us will miss what the other person has to say.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 07-24-2017 at 08:55 PM.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    I honestly think he may be a bit younger then the majority of us. Just stop replying to to him.
    I think it is absolutely hilarious. It is as if I am watching my 11 year try to annoy my 8 year old. I for one try my best to bring that out in him... which is rather easy..
    Coppy

18. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

Garmel (07-24-2017)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    No, small does not mean short. Uggla was not small, he was short.

I used small in place of "undersized frame", which is how I read him described.

Go ahead and chalk that up as a win for yourself if it makes you guys feel like you caught the professor making a spelling mistake on the whiteboard. Hopefully it makes everyone that decided to rail against me for 5 pages feel better.
    Thin skin much?

I'm only arguing with you here (I try to not engage you at all) because you come off as this over-weening know-it-all that loves to dish it out all the time. I take issue with something you've written and all I get back is invective instead of a clarification. For the record, I think Kris Medlen is "small" and when describing a "small pitcher," that's the image I have in my mind. I have no idea if other posters view "small" with the same frame of mind.
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 07-24-2017 at 08:57 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I think it is absolutely hilarious. It is as if I am watching my 11 year try to annoy my 8 year old. I for one try my best to bring that out in him... which is rather easy..
    Another case in point. A post strictly about me. It's like I'm the most popular topic of conversation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    That's a good question. I think the most simple answer is that the Braves wanted to put butts in the seats for their new stadium and maybe intentionally went over budget this offseason to fix our crappy starting rotation so that the team would appear more palatable.

Lynchburg Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    Because they are getting ready to pay Sonny Gray (or someone) with that money.
    Even if true, We arent a playoff team, so that move makes no sense to me. Id rather spend money trying to get a better prospect to build for 19 and 2020

I don't know how much of a market there was for Garcia and I don't know what paying more salary would have netted us from the Twins. rico and I differ on the subject, but there isn't much in the Twins' system right now. They've graduated a ton of guys in the past three years (Sano, Kepler, Buxton, Polanco, Rosario, Berrios) and that has thinned things out dramatically. I doubt any of their top four (Gordon, Gonsalves, Romero, Kirilloff) were in the discussion and things drop off from there. All guesswork on my part.
    Well from what as reported, if we paid more of his salary we were getting a better prospect in return. It seems we didnt pay anything to use those savings for another trade. If we were legitimate id understand it but we arent so it feels like a markakis move. A move to be "competetive" when we arent.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Perfect Cell For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-25-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Thin skin much?

I'm only arguing with you here (I try to not engage you at all) because you come off as this over-weening know-it-all that loves to dish it out all the time. I take issue with something you've written and all I get back is invective instead of a clarification. For the record, I think Kris Medlen is "small" and when describing a "small pitcher," that's the image I have in my mind. I have no idea if other posters view "small" with the same frame of mind.
    You took issue with something trivial to teach me a lesson about being a know it all? Wow.

If you're going to do that, try to find something a little more solid than me replacing "slight frame" with "small".