Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Puerto Rico

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Chad Pergram‏Verified account @ChadPergram

On Fox FEMA Administrator Brock Long says hurricane relief for Puerto Rico is “the most logistically challenging event the US has ever seen”

off the top of my head a few others come to mind
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    Chad Pergram‏Verified account @ChadPergram

On Fox FEMA Administrator Brock Long says hurricane relief for Puerto Rico is “the most logistically challenging event the US has ever seen”

off the top of my head a few others come to mind
    Like?

You can't say any stateside because they do have roads, airports that can still be accessed. PR runways are hard pressed to even land a C5 or C17 under normal conditions and as a former Air Traffic Controller I do know my planes. The only plane that could make it on very short and bumpy runways or highways are all out of commission/moth balled, they were called C-23 or we refer to them as Pokey because they are slow.

They could use the C-130 but it would also be hazardous to the pilots as well.

If this was Obama you would not even dare bring that up. Using this disaster as a political row, just hang yourself already and this country would be in a better place without having tools like you, breathing our air that could be used by someone else.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    who said this is a political row.
    I just expect the Administration execute relief for a part of the US.

If Obama Administration bungled this this bad I would have the same stance.
    But ...

in 8 years none come to mind
    Trump has been in office for 240+ days

What is your point ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Matthew Yglesias‏Verified account @mattyglesias 4m4 minutes ago

My grandfather participated in the Allied invasion of Sicily; an apparently impossible feat given that Sicily is an island.

2 replies 8 retweets 49 likes

Matthew Yglesias‏Verified account @mattyglesias 3m3 minutes ago

According to his stories, at the time the US had airplanes that could take off and land on ships.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    who said this is a political row.
    I just expect the Administration execute relief for a part of the US.

If Obama Administration bungled this this bad I would have the same stance.
    But ...

in 8 years none come to mind
    Trump has been in office for 240+ days

What is your point ?
    Answer the question about few others off my head and there is no way you would say this about any Democrat president, you never have and never will. Autobot brainwashed idiots like you are unable to process information that is not outside the Democrat for Dummies book you possess and prize. I bet you go to bed at night with it tuck comfortably in your arms.

I don't know why I am wasting my time with a mindless Dummicrat sheep anyway it is bad for my health.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Matthew Yglesias‏Verified account @mattyglesias 4m4 minutes ago

My grandfather participated in the Allied invasion of Sicily; an apparently impossible feat given that Sicily is an island.

2 replies 8 retweets 49 likes

Matthew Yglesias‏Verified account @mattyglesias 3m3 minutes ago

According to his stories, at the time the US had airplanes that could take off and land on ships.
    "event the US has ever seen”

Umm we don't have ships like that in the area and they do have CH-53's that they are using. My god you are a f ucking idiot. I just need to stop, your posts makes everyone even more stupid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    we don't know that because in our recent past there have been 2 bungled disaster relief operations and neither was Democrat.
    So please with the hypothetical if this if that BS.

the record is
    Katrina - Bush
    Maria - Trump

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post

Umm we don't have ships like that in the area and they do have CH-53's that they are using. My god you are a f ucking idiot. I just need to stop, your posts makes everyone even more stupid.
    Sicily is half way across the world.

Maria landed 10 days ago. It takes 5 days from Virginia. MAria was forcast as a CAT5 while Irma was still active.
    Incompetance knows no partisanship.

Let's just agree this is a mess and what can we do to fix it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts

call me old fashioned but I would tactically consider WWII a "US event"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Sicily is half way across the world.
    The percentage of GDP that we spent on the military at that time was several times the current level. We had more active duty military personnel in the Med during that operation than we have in the world today. We had 5 times as many Naval ships at that time as we have now.
    Is it your contention that we should redirect federal funding from welfare and entitlement spending to grow a more robust military?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaw For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (10-01-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    The percentage of GDP that we spent on the military at that time was several times the current level. We had more active duty military personnel in the Med during that operation than we have in the world today. We had 5 times as many Naval ships at that time as we have now.
    Is it your contention that we should redirect federal funding from welfare and entitlement spending to grow a more robust military?
    You can drop the mic now Jaw.

Boom goes the dynamite.

WE only have a few cargo planes that can land on ship and unfortunately one of them are no longer in service. Ospreys are the ones that can carry cargo but not much and C-9 is no longer a cargo vessel, P-3 Orions are no longer in cargo service and C-23's are mothball and would take too long to get them back into flying status.

So tell me what would Obama would have done in this instance, tell me. He doesn't have Star Trek transporters to carry an air craft carrier from the Pacific to the Atlantic in a week, not possible.

So again, what have FEMA seen that is worse than this? Nevermind stupid partisan hacks like you don't have a clue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Matthew Yglesias‏Verified account @mattyglesias 5h5 hours ago

Matthew Yglesias Retweeted Chad Pergram

Astronauts planted an American flag on the goddamn Moon

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts

Ted Lieu‏Verified account @tedlieu

Ted Lieu Retweeted Steven Dennis

Dear @POTUS: Before you golf, can you give the frickin order for massive airlifts of food/water to Puerto Rico? Remember Berlin airlift?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts

D-Day

This is an enormous undertaking that further reveals this Administration incompetent.
    Why excuse it --- let's agree it has been bungled and look for solutions.
    As in getting supplies to the people then the politics

Air lift supplies

The US military has forgotten how to air lift medical and survival supplies to hard to reach areas ??
    If it can't be done with a truck are these numb nuts left clueless ??

Why are people excusing Trumps adolescent behavior?
    Last edited by 57Brave; 10-01-2017 at 04:16 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Are you aware that the planning and troop buildup for D-day took over two years? And that the moon landing took much longer? And of course they were both much better funded than the military of today. I believe you are aware of all of this, which leads me to believe that you are being disingenuous.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    no,
    the US has done hard things in fact traditionally prides itself on doing hard things

The statement from the FEMA director - like his superiors - unacceptable.

A man used to work for me that had a saying "if it wasn't hard somebody's brother in law would be doing it"

The Trump Administration was totally unprepared and lackadaisical in their response.
    How was it characterized a few days ago "fend for yourself"

Let's turn AA's question around -- suppose Craig Fugate responded this way and made such a nonsensical statement
    Just think about it

There is a story that made the rounds in Jersey--- that before finally bankrupting a gambling house, Trump (Donald) went to his father (Fred) for help. His father then came (or sent someone I dont remember which) to lose millions of dollars at roulette.
    Thereby in a perfectly legal round about way refunding of the house

Pretty telling story

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/10/01...ols-inept.html

The head of an international engineering firm in Puerto Rico said in an editorial Saturday that when the time came to send 50 of his engineers to help in the aftermath of Hurricane Maria, he bypassed local officials and went straight to FEMA.

The reason, said Jorge Rodriguez, the CEO of PACIV, in an editorial in the New York Post, is that “for the last 30 years, the Puerto Rican government has been completely inept at handling regular societal needs, so I just don’t see it functioning in a crisis like this one.”

For his part, Rodriguez argued that government mismanagement that has created so many problems for Puerto Rico is showing itself again as it attempts to deal with the devastation from the hurricane.

“For instance, shortly after the hurricane hit, the government imposed a curfew from 6 pm to 6 am and then changed it,” Rodriguez said. “Now, it’s 7 pm to 5 am, and makes no sense. The curfew has prevented fuel trucks from transporting their loads.

“These trucks should have been allowed to run for 24 hours to address our needs, but they have been stalled, and so we have massive lines at gas stations and severe shortages of diesel at our hospitals and supermarkets.”

Rodriguez said it is the federal government that has put forth an organized response, and that it is wrong of Puerto Rico’s own political leaders to blame it.

“I’m really tired of Puerto Rican government officials blaming the federal government for their woes and for not acting fast enough to help people on the island,” he said. “Last week I had three federal agents in my office and I was so embarrassed; I went out of my way to apologize to them for the attitude of my government and what they have been saying about the U.S. response.”

The business leader said FEMA experts were present in no uncertain terms when Hurricane Maria hit the island.

“I was really proud of their quick response,” he added. “The first responders and FEMA have all been outstanding in this crisis, and should be supported.”

Rodriguez also had a word of caution for the U.S. Congress: “Watch out what relief funds you approve and let our local government handle. Don’t let the Puerto Rican government play the victim and fool you. They have no clue what they are doing, and I worry that they will mishandle anything that comes their way.”

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/inves...=.ce98fd0be27a

“I think it’s a fair ask why we’re not seeing a similar command and response,” said retired Lt. Gen. P.K. “Ken” Keen, the three-star general who commanded the U.S. military effort in Haiti, where 200,000 people died by some estimates. “The morning after, the president said we were going to respond in Port-au-Prince . . . robustly and immediately, and that gave the whole government clarity of purpose.”

Keen, who was named to lead the efforts in Haiti three days after the quake, pointed to a complicating factor: Puerto Rico is a U.S. territory, not a foreign nation, and that makes a huge difference in the rules of engagement when disaster strikes.

In Haiti, the United States was able to deploy active military combat brigades, quickly install a military commander and militarize the airspace at the invitation of Haitian officials.

In Puerto Rico and other U.S. territories, the nearly 140-year-old Posse Comitatus Act limits the role that active military personnel can play.

Also, Puerto Rico’s aid requests, made under a mutual-assistance compact among the states and U.S. territories, helped shape the response. In recent days, as criticism of the effort has grown, administration officials have repeatedly said they are delivering what Puerto Rico has asked for.

Maj. Gen. James C. Witham, director of domestic operations for the National Guard Bureau, said that immediately after Maria’s landfall, Puerto Rico requested only communications equipment and fewer than 200 military police officers. By comparison, 17,567 guardsmen from 24 states were on duty in Florida a day after Hurricane Irma made landfall.

More than 400 guardsmen from other states had been in Puerto Rico, assigned to help with cleanup from Irma, before Maria. Most evacuated in advance of Maria, and Puerto Rico has made no request for them to return, officials said.

All but about a few hundred of the 2,000 guardsmen now in Puerto Rico are members of the territory’s own Guard unit. The National Guard Bureau has drafted plans to send as many as 6,000 soldiers, but Puerto Rico has yet to request them, Witham said.

Also Thursday, Puerto Rico Gov. Ricardo Rosselló defended his government’s response to the humanitarian crisis. He said the unprecedented destruction of the storm and logistical limitations have impeded the flow of resources to some of the island’s communities.

Rosselló walked into a daily briefing at the Puerto Rico convention center accompanied by a general or an admiral representing each branch of the U.S. military, displaying a united front a week after the hurricane walloped the island.

The governor emphasized that federal agencies are taking their direction from the territorial government.

“Let’s make this clear — this is an operation of the government of Puerto Rico,” Rosselló said. “We set the priorities. . . . We are taking action, and there are results.”

Rosselló said the island’s geographical challenges — everything must be brought in by boat or air — and the widespread communication failures have complicated relief efforts.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,780 Posts

21. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (10-02-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    The Posse Comitatus law mentioned in the above article has not received enough attention during this crisis.

Some people have suggested we suspend it for the duration of the Puerto Rican recovery. Given that the primary purpose of Posse Comitatus is to protect the country from a President intent on using the military to implement a police state, I doubt that many people will support that idea.