Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves listening on Inciarte, Teheran, and Markakis for power bat; Freeman staying

Roaming in Rome
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    I don't think we'll trade Markakis. He's one of the few veteran anchors we have. Also, trading him a year after signing him doesn't make us look great to free agents in the future. Free agents might not play a big factor for us now but who knows about next year. I think we have to wait until at least midseason to deal him with next winter being more likely.
    I don't really agree with this. Yes, free agents sign with teams they want to play for, but they also sign where the money/contention window works out for them. Us signing Markakis last year and trading him now is different to, say, the Marlins firesale back in the day. What they did, signing a bunch of bigtime FAs then selling them all a year later, is different from signing a mid-tier FA, changing our contention strategy pretty significantly in the meantime, and then trading him. I don't think future free agents are going to look at us and say, "Hmmm they kept Markakis for 2 years/1.5 years instead of 1 year, I can sign there." If anything were to negatively impact us in future contract negotiations, I would actually say it's trading homegrown guys like Andrelton right after signing a long-term extension (though I also don't think it will matter much if at all, just a consideration).

2. The Following User Says Thank You to praeceps93 For This Useful Post:

NYCBrave (01-16-2016)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    I'm not a fan of Bowman
    Forever Fredi

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    *Angels call to offer Trout for Freeman, hang up disappointed*

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mqt For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-13-2016)

Creepy Lurking Stalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    FWIW

@jcrasnick: The #Astros have inquired on #Braves CF Ender Inciarte. Presumably would have to move Carlos Gomez to make a deal work.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    I'd take Springer.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Oklahomabrave For This Useful Post:

bravesfanMatt (01-13-2016)

Roaming in Rome
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bamfin21 View Post
    FWIW

@jcrasnick: The #Astros have inquired on #Braves CF Ender Inciarte. Presumably would have to move Carlos Gomez to make a deal work.
    Lots to like in the Astros system. Could definitely see a match there.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    If the goal is to compete in 2017 I don't see the logic behind trading guys like Teheran and Inciarte, who can contribute significantly in 2017, for a power bat when Ces and JUp are sitting there waiting to be signed. It seems to me the most logical use of resources would be to hang on to Teheran and Inciarte, trade Markakis or Olivera, sign JUp or Ces, and then try to fix 3B next offseason if Olivera is truly no longer an IFer.

The Braves have a glaring need for a RHed power OF bat, and 2 of them happen to be sitting on the market. The market is luke warm for both hitters, so why not jump in and try to get one at 75% of the expected cost? Why part with assets that can help in 2017 like Teheran and Inciarte when all JUp or Ces will cost is money and maybe a draft pick? Why in the world would they rather trade an MLB asset for a power bat with question marks vs a comp round draft pick for a proven power bat?

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

bravesnumberone (01-14-2016), praeceps93 (01-13-2016)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    If the goal is to compete in 2017 I don't see the logic behind trading guys like Teheran and Inciarte, who can contribute significantly in 2017, for a power bat when Ces and JUp are sitting there waiting to be signed. It seems to me the most logical use of resources would be to hang on to Teheran and Inciarte, trade Markakis or Olivera, sign JUp or Ces, and then try to fix 3B next offseason if Olivera is truly no longer an IFer.

The Braves have a glaring need for a RHed power OF bat, and 2 of them happen to be sitting on the market. The market is luke warm for both hitters, so why not jump in and try to get one at 75% of the expected cost? Why part with assets that can help in 2017 like Teheran and Inciarte when all JUp or Ces will cost is money and maybe a draft pick? Why in the world would they rather trade an MLB asset for a power bat with question marks vs a comp round draft pick for a proven power bat?
    So you think those guys would take 8 years for 15 million per? I am not sure they would.. not without a opt out after 3 or so years...

and I still don't think the Braves are wanting to drop ~35th pick in such a deep draft. So I think Cespe would be your target. If they could trade Nick for a bag of donut holes and his entire salary, then I would be on board with Cespes. for 15 /7 years with opt out after 3.. (and then hope he takes it).. Then at the deadline trade Julio and Ender to the desperate Cubs for Baez/ Eloy or McKinney/Contreras/Underwood.. We would then have all the pieces ready to compete and replacement players in place for after 2018 when Cespe opts out and HO is a bench player.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Both those Cubs packages (Baez/Eloy and McKinney/Contreras/Underwood) would be huge underpays for Teheran/Inciarte. Those would be really bad deals.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Both those Cubs packages (Baez/Eloy and McKinney/Contreras/Underwood) would be huge underpays for Teheran/Inciarte. Those would be really bad deals.
    that is one deal..
    Baez +
    Eloy or McKinney +
    Contreras +
    Underwood...

and that might even not be enough if Julio rebounds and Ender maintains his value.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    So you think those guys would take 8 years for 15 million per? I am not sure they would.. not without a opt out after 3 or so years...

and I still don't think the Braves are wanting to drop ~35th pick in such a deep draft. So I think Cespe would be your target. If they could trade Nick for a bag of donut holes and his entire salary, then I would be on board with Cespes. for 15 /7 years with opt out after 3.. (and then hope he takes it).. Then at the deadline trade Julio and Ender to the desperate Cubs for Baez/ Eloy or McKinney/Contreras/Underwood.. We would then have all the pieces ready to compete and replacement players in place for after 2018 when Cespe opts out and HO is a bench player.
    MLBTR predicted Gordon to sign for 5/105, and he ended up getting 4/72.

JUp was predicted to get 7/147 and Ces was projected to get 6/140, so a similar bargain rate contract would be about 5/100 to 5/110. Maybe less guaranteed years if an option year with a $5M buyout is included.

Yes, either would be a great signing for the Braves, and would set them up to compete by 2017 as long as Tehran and Inciarte are not traded.

I would NOT be interested in signing either player for the predicted $140M+ price tags.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 01-13-2016 at 01:39 PM.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (01-13-2016), The Chosen One (01-13-2016)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bamfin21 View Post
    FWIW

This is the one I like. I'd love a deal for Springer. He'd be perfect for us. The Stros are looking for some contact hitters to balance out their lineup and will need a CF next year when Gomez and Rasmus are gone. Julio would be perfect for them as they don't have many SP prospects on the horizon and it's hard for them to go after the big FA pitchers.

A deal based around Julio and Ender for Springer PLUS could make sense. We would have to trade Markakis to make room for Springer, but that may already be in the works.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Chico For This Useful Post:

Hawk (01-13-2016)

Roaming in Rome
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    MLBTR predicted Gordon to sign for 5/105, and he ended up getting 4/72.

JUp was predicted to get 7/147 and Ces was projected to get 6/140, so a similar bargain rate contract would be about 5/100 to 5/110. Maybe less guaranteed years if an option year with a $5M buyout is included.

Yes, either would be a great signing for the Braves, and would set them up to compete by 2017 as long as Tehran and Inciarte are not traded.

I would NOT be interested in signing either player for the predicted $140M+ price tags.
    If we could manage a 5/100-ish contract with one of them, I think we'd have to jump on that. That'd be a great price.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts

I think that MAGICAL 2017 we kept hearing about is more about 2019 at this point.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    Yea, sorry we want to win more and don't think it will set the franchise back multiple years giving up one pick with what we've stockpiled.

God save us all.
    When Justin comes back, it'll be in an opposing team's uniform. Sorry to break the news to ya.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    When Justin comes back, it'll be in an opposing team's uniform. Sorry to break the news to ya.
    I agree. I don't see any way Justin is coming back here. It's as close to a sure bet as one could get.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    I think that MAGICAL 2017 we kept hearing about is more about 2019 at this point.
    Possibly. However, if the goal is to compete in 2017, and considering the weak FA class next year, they almost have to acquire a bat this offseason...especially if one can be had at a bargain rate.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (01-13-2016)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Possibly. However, if the goal is to compete in 2017, and considering the weak FA class next year, they almost have to acquire a bat this offseason...especially if one can be had at a bargain rate.
    it is relative to what 'Competitive' team means. I think the team can be around .500+ in 2017 as it stands. Trade Julio and Ender and I might change that. But as it stands now, I really think this team, with a few adjustments that will be easy enough to make, will be 'competitive' in 2017..

if you think competitive = playoffs.. then I seriously doubt they will in 2017.. 50/50 in 18..just all depends on if/when prospects click... if they trade Julio and Ender, 17 goes down more and 18 would go up more... depending of course..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Yeah. I agree with that.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    it is relative to what 'Competitive' team means. I think the team can be around .500+ in 2017 as it stands. Trade Julio and Ender and I might change that. But as it stands now, I really think this team, with a few adjustments that will be easy enough to make, will be 'competitive' in 2017..

if you think competitive = playoffs.. then I seriously doubt they will in 2017.. 50/50 in 18..just all depends on if/when prospects click... if they trade Julio and Ender, 17 goes down more and 18 would go up more... depending of course..
    OK...so if the team can be .500+ by 2017 as it stands (81+ wins), it could be a playoff contender (85+ wins) by 2017 if JUp or Ces is signed.