Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: MINORS FINAL THURSDAY 5/4 ... Allard reigns supreme

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Bruce Chen had quite a decent career. Not a star. Neid would have remained a stud if it weren't for injuries. Capellan was more hyped by Braves fans than pundits. DeVall was never thought of as a high ceiling guy and was never ranked in any lists if I remember right. Meyer had helium based on one or two decent years. That group couldn't touch the raw talent we have now
    That's the thing. Yes, lots of out prospects failed but not all prospects are the same. Davies to me was the biggest bust of the last 15 years.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Bruce Chen had quite a decent career. Not a star. Neid would have remained a stud if it weren't for injuries. Capellan was more hyped by Braves fans than pundits. DeVall was never thought of as a high ceiling guy and was never ranked in any lists if I remember right. Meyer had helium based on one or two decent years. That group couldn't touch the raw talent we have now
    Seems like you're missing the point. Injuries are part of the equation. Of course Bruce Chen had a nice little career. So did Derek Lilliquist, really. Neither were guys you'd build around. Some of the very talented, very highly rated cohort of arms we have now are going to wash out because of injury.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Cappy was #25 BBA. Meyer was as high as #43.

Do tell me, though, why we brag about prospect rankings now but discount them in the case of guys who busted in the past.
    Last edited by Julio3000; 05-07-2017 at 07:52 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Cappy was #25 BBA. Meyer was as high as #43.

Do you tell me, though, why we brag about prospect rankings now but discount them in the case of guys who busted in the past.
    I wonder if the accuracy of prospect lists have improved over the years. Capellan was a one pitch pitcher. Surprised that he got all the way to 25.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Seems like you're missing the point. Injuries are part of the equation. Of course Bruce Chen had a nice little career. So did Derek Lilliquist, really. Neither were guys you'd build around. Some of the very talented, very highly rated cohort of arms we have now are going to wash out because of injury.
    Yeah but most of those guys were not close to the ceiling prospects that we have now. The exception of maybe Chen and Lilliquest.... Nied was close. But we have 7-9 guys now with huge ceilings even tho not near all will work out or have injuries

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Yeah but most of those guys were not close to the ceiling prospects that we have now. The exception of maybe Chen and Lilliquest.... Nied was close. But we have 7-9 guys now with huge ceilings even tho not near all will work out or have injuries
    Sure, I agree. Just not sure if there are going to be enough magic beans to grow a beanstalk.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I wonder if the accuracy of prospect lists have improved over the years. Capellan was a one pitch pitcher. Surprised that he got all the way to 25.
    I don't know. I remember specifically wondering what Capellan and Meyer were ever ranked that high. Meyer basically had a Blair/Wisler ceiling. Capellan was only ranked because of shear velocity. I don't remember anyone on the board having much faith

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Sure, I agree. Just not sure if there are going to be enough magic beans to grow a beanstalk.
    Fair enough I just truly believe this stockpile of arms of by far the highest volume of shear potential we've ever had and aren't comparable to any other time in history. We just got lucky with Avery, Glavine, and Smoltz.... the other prospects weren't that special except maybe Greene and Schmidt (little later). Can't compare this class to people like Meyer, Capellan, Lewrew, Delgado, James, JoJo.... not the same league of prospects. Especially DeVall or Spruill. It's not close. Davies and Minor weren't even anywhere close. Much better shot here to produce 3-6 quality starters

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Much better shot here to produce 3-6 quality starters
    You've covered about 90% of the range of probabilities there.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Now name all the ones who failed
    You said the braves were known for pitching because they got lucky on three hall of famers. You made the original exaggeration, not I.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Fair enough I just truly believe this stockpile of arms of by far the highest volume of shear potential we've ever had and aren't comparable to any other time in history. We just got lucky with Avery, Glavine, and Smoltz.... the other prospects weren't that special except maybe Greene and Schmidt (little later). Can't compare this class to people like Meyer, Capellan, Lewrew, Delgado, James, JoJo.... not the same league of prospects. Especially DeVall or Spruill. It's not close. Davies and Minor weren't even anywhere close. Much better shot here to produce 3-6 quality starters
    Forgot about tommy Greene. Thanks.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    See I think we have a better chance to beat the odds, because there are so many high ceiling guys. That's not counting many others that can turn into a Minor type pitcher. We have 8-10 guys as most teams have 1-2. We could still be unlucky and have many busts, but we could just as well get lucky and have 5 TOR pitchers. I think we will end up having the perfect amount we need, plus maybe another.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    See I think we have a better chance to beat the odds, because there are so many high ceiling guys. That's not counting many others that can turn into a Minor type pitcher. We have 8-10 guys as most teams have 1-2. We could still be unlucky and have many busts, but we could just as well get lucky and have 5 TOR pitchers. I think we will end up having the perfect amount we need, plus maybe another.
    Are high ceiling pitching prospects at greater or lesser risk of being busts?

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Eh...depends. I consider Touki to have a pretty big chance of busting completely. I think many more of our guys make it to the big show and the question is more are they a TOR or end up as back of the rotation or reliever. I always think high ceiling pitchers have a little better chance because they can make more mistakes and get away with it.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Are high ceiling pitching prospects at greater or lesser risk of being busts?
    You wouldn't know from the study, because it doesn't distinguish between them.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,862 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    You said the braves were known for pitching because they got lucky on three hall of famers. You made the original exaggeration, not I.
    Is it an exaggeration? The Braves were hyped as a pitching factory and we were able to constantly trade young starters or prospects for quality MLB players. They rarely worked out for the team trading for them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    You wouldn't know from the study, because it doesn't distinguish between them.
    I'm asking the question of the posters who seem to think there is a difference. I was wondering what the basis for their belief might be.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,862 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Sometimes raw talent can get people hyped even if they can't really pitch.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I'm asking the question of the posters who seem to think there is a difference. I was wondering what the basis for their belief might be.
    Well, we do know that at some level higher-ceiling prospects are less likely to bust, using the logic that the ones who end up in the top 10 have the highest ceilings (combined with less risk). So using that same logic, it's not crazy to assert that the higher-ceiling prospect of two ranked ~50, for example, also has a lower likelihood of busting. We don't know that because the data doesn't parse it out, which is why I've always maintained that using prospect rankings and hit rates is a crude and incomplete measure.

But it does follow logically. And obviously when a higher ceiling prospect does hit, he is more likely to perform better than a lower ceiling prospect that hits. So even if the bust rates were the same, the potential reward of having better pitchers is higher.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Well, we do know that at some level higher-ceiling prospects are less likely to bust, using the logic that the ones who end up in the top 10 have the highest ceilings (combined with less risk). So using that same logic, it's not crazy to assert that the higher-ceiling prospect of two ranked ~50, for example, also has a lower likelihood of busting. We don't know that because the data doesn't parse it out, which is why I've always maintained that using prospect rankings and hit rates is a crude and incomplete measure.

But it does follow logically. And obviously when a higher ceiling prospect does hit, he is more likely to perform better than a lower ceiling prospect that hits. So even if the bust rates were the same, the potential reward of having better pitchers is higher.
    I agree with the last two sentences.

But on the question of bust rates for high ceiling pitching prospects, I don't believe I've seen any work on that. I'm not asking you to do it or to point me to a study. Just saying I haven't seen anything on it. It is an interesting question.

My memory of who was considered "high ceiling" 10 or 15 years ago is a little foggy. But would guys like Joba Chamberlain and Phil Hughes fall under the high ceiling category.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 05-08-2017 at 08:49 AM.