Thread: Is the rebuild in trouble?

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    Trade Inciarte. His value is high.
    Maybe we could trade him for a guy with the potential to be him in a few years!!!!

A young guy with a reasonable team friendly contract under control for several years would be nice.... Oh wait. That's what we have!!!!

(I am aware that everyone knows this). Just having some fun.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mfree80 For This Useful Post:

Knucksie (06-05-2017)

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Ban this man!!!

You should know it wasn't serious, and was mockery directed at the "Trade everybody" contingent here.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Knucksie For This Useful Post:

rico43 (06-06-2017)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Trade Inciarte and Freeman...sign Colon to an extension!!

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Trade Inciarte and Freeman...sign Colon to an extension!!
    First part fits the profile. Second part would've been to sign Justin and Jason.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    No its not. This fan base just needs patience.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    I think this site proves than many Braves fans are patients. Oh ... PATIENCE! My bad.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    595 Posts
    There have been a lot of great responses so far in this thread. I feel like the overall consensus so far is that it's too early to tell but that there have been missteps and that there are also some red flags.

While we have lots of good prospects in the system if the goal is to be a true WS contender here are some questions I have going forward.

Who is supposed to be our Ace?

I've heard lots of good things about several different pitchers but even Allard and Soraka seem like they project to be 2's.

Where is the power coming from?

We have Freeman at the MLB level long term but beyond that where do we find power hitters in the system that can contribute?

Who is our Catcher going forward? Do we want to stick with Flowers for a while. It seems like other than possibly Jackson our catchers in the minors won't have a future behind the plate.

Can anyone play 3rd base? I mean 3b has been a SVOD since Chipper retired and it looks like there is no help on the way.

The last thing that strikes me is even though we have a top farm system is the Braves FO seems to be consistently 10 years behind the curve. Coppy does seem to be helping a little with this but the team of John John and Cox not so much. There's too much of a it worked in the 90's so it still must be good today mentality that I feel will be an albatross for years to come.

It just seems like there are so many holes system wide that need to be filled if this rebuild is going be successful.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slippyjms For This Useful Post:

auyushu (06-09-2017), nsacpi (06-09-2017)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippyjms View Post
    There have been a lot of great responses so far in this thread. I feel like the overall consensus so far is that it's too early to tell but that there have been missteps and that there are also some red flags.

While we have lots of good prospects in the system if the goal is to be a true WS contender here are some questions I have going forward.

Who is supposed to be our Ace?

I've heard lots of good things about several different pitchers but even Allard and Soraka seem like they project to be 2's.

Where is the power coming from?

We have Freeman at the MLB level long term but beyond that where do we find power hitters in the system that can contribute?

Who is our Catcher going forward? Do we want to stick with Flowers for a while. It seems like other than possibly Jackson our catchers in the minors won't have a future behind the plate.

Can anyone play 3rd base? I mean 3b has been a SVOD since Chipper retired and it looks like there is no help on the way.

The last thing that strikes me is even though we have a top farm system is the Braves FO seems to be consistently 10 years behind the curve. Coppy does seem to be helping a little with this but the team of John John and Cox not so much. There's too much of a it worked in the 90's so it still must be good today mentality that I feel will be an albatross for years to come.

It just seems like there are so many holes system wide that need to be filled if this rebuild is going be successful.
    I'll take a stab at these;

1. Who's going to be our ace?
    If I had to guess, I'm going to say Soroka; but theres a lot of guys who could profile towards the top of the rotation; Allard, Newcomb, Weigel, Touki, Anderson, Gohara and Folty. All have great stuff.... now there's a pretty good chance NONE of these guys develop into a Clayton Kershaw type 'true ace' but a couple of them could develop into the tier right below that.

2. Where is the power coming from?
    I think there's more power in our system than people realize. Acuna has the power to hit 20+ pretty easily, Riley has lots of power, TD has plenty of power, Jackson has plenty of power and of course Maitan is behind them. I don't think we have a guy in the system that's going to come up and be a masher, but we have the pieces to have several 20+ HR guys in the lineup along with Freeman.

3. Who's the catcher going forward?
    Can Jackson or Cumberland catch? If so it might be one of those two; if not we have a couple interesting names that don't project as stars, but could be solid players, Scvique has hit really well this year and Herbert still gets rave reviews defensively. And coming behind them is Guitierrez. The star power isn't great here, and most of these guys either have lots of risk, or limited upside; but the depth at catcher has improved by quite a bit.

4. Can anyone play 3rd?
    TD and Austin Riley can.

I don't see a lot of the big holes you see in our system.

Although I do agree with your last point, the Braves FO does perpetually seem behind the curve and that extends to the managers we hire.