Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: 6/10/15: GDT - San Diego Padres @ Atlanta Braves

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,906 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heywood View Post
    We used to own the Pads. I remember we used to go Petco and it was almost a guaranteed sweep.

Now they've been really annoying against us.
    Because Will Venable.
    Ivermectin Man

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (06-11-2015)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    For starters, no team is perfect so not all those spots need to be filled with good players. Also, our outfield next year is going to be markakis/Smith/Maybin. I'd also bring Uribe back for another season. The offense is working the way it is now. The bullpen will need to be adressed big time. I'd bring in a proven closer on a 2-3 year deal.
    You are right that no team is perfect. But out offense has done as well as it has this year with a hot start from AJ, Maybin having his best year, and KJ hitting very well before he got hurt. And 3B is still just a mess. If we go with your proposed plan of Maybin/Smith/Nick in the outfield and Uribe at 3rd you don't think it's within the realm of possibility that Maybin goes back to hittng how he has his whole career, Smith falls flat as a rookie, Uribue stays old and hits like he has this year, and CB continues to suck at catcher?

I'm not saying all those things are going to happen. But a lot of the offense being better this year has to do with guys not slated to being the future of this team with Mabin being the lone possible exception and I don't think it's a sure thing he keeps hitting. So just becuase the offense isn't an issue right now doesn't mean it won't be next year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,904 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    You are right that no team is perfect. But out offense has done as well as it has this year with a hot start from AJ, Maybin having his best year, and KJ hitting very well before he got hurt. And 3B is still just a mess. If we go with your proposed plan of Maybin/Smith/Nick in the outfield and Uribe at 3rd you don't think it's within the realm of possibility that Maybin goes back to hittng how he has his whole career, Smith falls flat as a rookie, Uribue stays old and hits like he has this year, and CB continues to suck at catcher?

I'm not saying all those things are going to happen. But a lot of the offense being better this year has to do with guys not slated to being the future of this team with Mabin being the lone possible exception and I don't think it's a sure thing he keeps hitting. So just becuase the offense isn't an issue right now doesn't mean it won't be next year.
    The offense has been humming along without Kelly and regression from AJ. Maybin just needed to be healthy. I 100% believe in that. Our starting pitching will carry us.
    Natural Immunity Croc

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Because Will Venable.
    He's probably #1 on the list of guys I think are better than they really are because they own the Braves.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (06-11-2015)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaBrave View Post
    No, the point is, last year's team didn't give a da-- whether it won or lost. The record spoke for itself. You do realize that had they played what became their norm later in the year in April they would have finished double digits under .500, don't you? They just strutted around like peacocks after that hot start that was basically smoke and mirrors because the pitching was insane the first month. The clubhouse was a mess for some reason, my money is on the Uptons and possibly a rift between the pro Uggla side and the dump Uggla side. Could be that they just hated Frank's guts and tanked on purpose, I don't know. None of us do, but there is one thing I do know games are not won on paper they are won on the field and this team keeps getting better and better. If they can stabilize the sixth and seventh that 87 win total I predicted in March is not only attainable this team will exceed it if the improvement continues.
    None of us know the reasons, but that doesn't stop you from blind speculation, huh?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,906 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    He's probably #1 on the list of guys I think are better than they really are because they own the Braves.
    He probably thinks that too.
    Ivermectin Man

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (06-11-2015)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,810 Posts
    i love every thread after a win we have obligitory thethe general question.. "so is it time to consider x player the GOAT?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,810 Posts
    Also - I tend to side with thethe on Maybin - I'm a believer

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,870 Posts
    The offense has been humming along without Kelly and regression from AJ. Maybin just needed to be healthy. I 100% believe in that. Our starting pitching will carry us.
    Team WRC+ by month
    April 92
    May 80
    June 119

So even with Maybin getting more playing time the offense did take a big hit in May when KJ got hurt, AJ stopped hitting, and Simmons came back to his normal levels. That said the team is doing really well in June thanks to a 372 BABIP.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,904 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    i love every thread after a win we have obligitory thethe general question.. "so is it time to consider x player the GOAT?"
    well since we were assured in the offseason that this organization was doomed I just want to savor every win possible. We are going to be in the cellar fir the next 5 years since we broke up the 27 yankees.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,810 Posts
    well since we were assured in the offseason that this organization was doomed I just want to savor every win possible. We are going to be in the cellar fir the next 5 years since we broke up the 27 yankees.
    We're under .500 and you're declaring us WS contenders next year

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,904 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Team WRC+ by month
    April 92
    May 80
    June 119

So even with Maybin getting more playing time the offense did take a big hit in May when KJ got hurt, AJ stopped hitting, and Simmons came back to his normal levels. That said the team is doing really well in June thanks to a 372 BABIP.
    BABIP is predictive in nature isn't it? Just because a team had a high BABIP over the month doesn't mean they were lucky it just means it's not likely to c9ntinue.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,904 Posts
    We're under .500 and you're declaring us WS contenders next year
    Based on the core that has been assembled and what's waiting on the farm I think it's possible. Braves have money to spend.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,810 Posts
    Based on the core that has been assembled and what's waiting on the farm I think it's possible. Braves have money to spend.
    I can only imagine what you think of the Cubs then

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,904 Posts
    I can only imagine what you think of the Cubs then
    Cubs should be real good for a while. Not sure what that has to do wiThe anything
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,810 Posts
    Cubs should be real good for a while. Not sure what that has to do wiThe anything
    Well if you love our core... I can only imagine what you think of Rizzo, Soler, Bryant, Russel, Castro, Baez, Schwarber... man oh man

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,870 Posts
    BABIP is predictive in nature isn't it? Just because a team had a high BABIP over the month doesn't mean they were lucky it just means it's not likely to c9ntinue.
    I mean the team was hovering right around .300 the first two months of the year which is generally what the league averge is across baseball. If a team has a 370 BABIP through the first 10 days or so of the month then yes I will generally say that's been luck and should not be expected to continue. These things have a way of correcting itself.

So my point remains. When KJ went out, AJ stopped hitting, and Simmons cooled off this team started hitting like crap. Take out KJ next year and have CB all year. Those could be problem positions. 3B is still a problem issue. Maybin is up in the air imo although the signs look good.

My point is that while the offnese has been better than expected. It's still fueld by people not expected to be here next year and surprise performances. We can't expect that to continue and say next year isn't an issue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,906 Posts
    VERY early, but glad we didn't spend 9 figures on Lester to be the anchor of this staff. Results haven't been so hot.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,904 Posts
    Well if you love our core... I can only imagine what you think of Rizzo, Soler, Bryant, Russel, Castro, Baez, Schwarber... man oh man
    Cubs have pitching problems Ling term.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    that core is great...what exactly is your point?
    and they will still need pitching in the long run. they signed lester to a huge deal that won't look good in a couple of years.

edit: also, book is still out on castro, baez, and even soler. i'm a big believer in schwarber (like, huge believer).