Page 34 of 135 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484134 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Trade Deadline Thread:

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,774 Posts
    I'm going to pose kind of an informal poll here. So far in one way or another, the Braves have been connected to Madison Bumgarner, Marcus Stroman, Zach Wheeler, and Matthew Boyd. Of those four starters, which do you prefer th Braves to trade for?
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    I'm going to pose kind of an informal poll here. So far in one way or another, the Braves have been connected to Madison Bumgarner, Marcus Stroman, Zach Wheeler, and Matthew Boyd. Of those four starters, which do you prefer th Braves to trade for?
    I'd rank them 1. Stroman, 2. Wheeler, 3. Boyd, 4. Bumgarner

That is taking cost, control, and talent into consideration.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    If I don't have to worry about price:

Wheeler, Boyd, Bauer, Stroman, MadBum

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I think there is a second issue. If the idea is to improve the team as much as possible without a gross overpay it makes sense to target Stroman (aka the long islander) or Wheeler over Bumgarner and Smith over pretty much any reliever.

The Giants may try to bundle Smith and Bumgarner but it is in our interest to try to stay away from a trade of that sort.
    That's the question - are people honestly comfortable enough with the bullpen as it's currently constructed to go after Stroman (or another SP) rather than improving a pen that has been making snooze fests so interesting? They did their *amndest to blow solid to very good starts from Keuchel and Julio the last two nights, and Jackson would've completely imploded last night if the Padres would have had ANYONE left on their bench.

While it would be nice to upgrade the rotation, it simply isn't the biggest problem - and there are plenty of capable arms to mix and match with from within. Leave this pen alone, and this team doesn't win in the first round of the playoffs.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Prices for Cashner and Bailey have been minimal. Not a surprise. But for buying clubs slightly reassuring.
    Cashner and Bailey aren't exactly pieces that "buying clubs" were honestly targeting. Boston and Oakland are two of the fringiest "contenders" - there wasn't any competition for those guys, and KC and Baltimore were lucky to get warm bodies for them.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Arbitration Eligible Freshmaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    521 Posts
    As I've said before, I'd prefer MadBum or Boyd or Minor (if Tex decides to sell). The reason is that I'd prefer another lefty against the Dodgers. According to Fangraphs they have an .823 OPS as a team and a 115 wRC+ against righties, and a more mortal .783 OPS and 106 wRC+ against lefties. I'm not 100% sure, but seems like that gap was wider earlier in the season, so if that trend continues it might end up not being as big of a deal. As currently constituted we can get by the Cubs or Brewers IMO, but we need some more horses against the Dodgers. I'm pretty ambivalent between Stroman and Wheeler, but I'll go with Wheeler for resignability purposes

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Wheeler and Bumgarner are FA's at end of the year.

Stroman has 1 extra year.

Boyd has 3.

Question on Boyd is, is this a fluke or did he make changes to become this pitcher. Certainly depends on the cost to get them, but cant go wrong with any of them, pending the cost obviously.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    I'm going to pose kind of an informal poll here. So far in one way or another, the Braves have been connected to Madison Bumgarner, Marcus Stroman, Zach Wheeler, and Matthew Boyd. Of those four starters, which do you prefer the Braves to trade for?
    Everything being equal, I'll take Wheeler, Boyd, MadBum, then Stroman.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    All make sense for the right value, as do several BP arms. I want impact players as cheaply as possible because the Braves have plenty of "good not great" players.

Wheeler will probably be the cheapest guy capable of making a real impact on the 2019 season, and I'm not sure I want to see the Braves tie up even more resources into controlling a pitcher like Boyd or Stroman for more than the rest of this season.

Wheeler and Smith for good value would be a pretty good deadline.

Folty turning back into a #2/3 and Gaus turning back into a #3/4 while getting Smith for 3 FV 40s would be the ideal, imo.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 07-14-2019 at 03:38 PM.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    All make sense for the right value, as do several BP arms. I want impact players as cheaply as possible because the Braves have plenty of "good not great" players.

Wheeler will probably be the cheapest guy capable of making a real impact on the 2019 season, and I'm not sure I want to see the Braves tie up even more resources into controlling a pitcher like Boyd or Stroman for more than the rest of this season.

Folty turning back into a #2/3 and Gaus turning back into a #3/4 while getting Smith for 3 FV 40s would be the ideal, imo.
    I’m a believer in Boyd’s development, Bauer’s ceiling, and Wheelers talent beyond luck. I want one of those three or nothing.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Blue Jays writer- Boston Red Sox, Philadelphia Phillies, San Diego Padres, Atlanta Braves and New York Yankees had people watching RHP Marcus Stoman (6 IP, 7 H, 3 ER, 7 Ks) at the Stadium in the Bronx this afternoon.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-15-2019)

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

Report is that Gausman is working on an additional pitch (maybe two) because he knows he needs to work. I have no idea where Folty's head is, other than up his ... you know.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (07-14-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Ivan, the only writer at TC worth the cost of electricity powering his PC, did a great write up about Bumgarner as a trade target:

https://www.talkingchop.com/2019/7/1...ison-bumgarner

Like we already saw in this thread, he listed out the returns for similar rentals.

Another hack at TC sat on the toilet with his phone for 5 minutes and banged out the equivalent "article" for Wheeler:

https://www.talkingchop.com/2019/7/1...k-wheeler-mets

He ultimately settled on "Wentz or Allard" (FV 45+ and 45), both of whom would be an acceptable price for an arm with true impact potential if Folty and/or Gaus don't round back into form in the next 2 weeks. I've been the low man around here on Allard for a long time, so if AA can get Wheeler for Allard I would be pretty happy with that value play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Damn.

Passan: Zack Wheeler is headed to the injured list with shoulder fatigue, which more or less destroys his trade value.

He had interest far and wide across the league. Perhaps a team still takes a crack in hopes he returns, but the Mets' desire to cash in at the deadline has evaporated.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to UNCBlue012 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-15-2019)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Damn.

Passan: Zack Wheeler is headed to the injured list with shoulder fatigue, which more or less destroys his trade value.

He had interest far and wide across the league. Perhaps a team still takes a crack in hopes he returns, but the Mets' desire to cash in at the deadline has evaporated.
    Well...Stroman is my preferred SP target for sure now. I woulda liked Wheeler.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Damn.

Tough blow for the Mets, but I wouldn’t mind the Braves taking a chance on him still if he could be acquired at a bargain rate.
    Last edited by jpx7; 07-15-2019 at 02:24 PM.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Damn.

Looks like he could potentially come back July 23rd. So he could potentially make 2 more starts before the deadline. I still have interest in him, though his value has definitely taken a hit.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Damn.

lol Mets

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Looks like he could potentially come back July 23rd. So he could potentially make 2 more starts before the deadline. I still have interest in him, though his value has definitely taken a hit.
    Are they going to hold and give him a QO? Seems odd.

NL Rookie of the Year Acuña’s Bat Flip's Avatar
    Gaffney, South Carolina (Home of the Big Butt "Peach" on I-85)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    Damn.

The trickle down effect is that big dick Stroman will probably end up on the Yankees or another contending AL East team now.