Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Old People and Computers

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    Selling to a family member? A car I can see, but something like that.

Good God that is so wrong on many levels.
    My parents insist. We're very much that type of family who doesn't like taking things. Even if we buy on pennys on the dollar (which my mom is) that's just what we do.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    My parents insist. We're very much that type of family who doesn't like taking things. Even if we buy on pennys on the dollar (which my mom is) that's just what we do.
    That's cool. My wife parents are the same.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    BTW I really like the Nexus 7 for my tablet. I'm switching more of my stuff to be small and compact. I'll want a nice new desktop sometime next year. Mine is about 6 years old and functions fine. I want to switch to an all-in-one though.I'm thinking the ENVY Recline 23 with Beats. I'll take the stock with maybe the only change being going from the 1TB Hybrid to the 256 Solid state since I don't use too much storage. For 150 bucks the added speed may be worth it. Or I may decide not to go with a desktop though as they're much more cost effictive. I was considering the Envy 700-210xt which I can get much nicer features for around the same price. For example for 1234 I get an i7 3.4 GHz GeForce GT640, 256 GB SSD
    I didn't like the Nexus, does not have enough features. I need more room and HDMI output to the TV to show pictures to future clients. So we got something just as fast and had all the features of the Nexus.

I did upgrade my 6 year old pc and quite happy with my $400 dollar purchase. No lag anywhere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    I don't really care about HDMI to be honest. It's got great features for it's size though. Great screen, quad core processor, adreno GPU, and it's tiny and light. That thing is like holding a handful of papers.

If you need HDMI you can get the Nexus 10. I love the Nexus series because they're so clean and they get Android updates the fastest. Before getting this chromebook I considered a surface pro type of tablet but I'm happy now with this that i want a smaller tablet. Either the Nexus 7 or LG Gpad 8.3

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    I don't really care about HDMI to be honest. It's got great features for it's size though. Great screen, quad core processor, adreno GPU, and it's tiny and light. That thing is like holding a handful of papers.

If you need HDMI you can get the Nexus 10. I love the Nexus series because they're so clean and they get Android updates the fastest. Before getting this chromebook I considered a surface pro type of tablet but I'm happy now with this that i want a smaller tablet. Either the Nexus 7 or LG Gpad 8.3

HDMI is a must if photography is a side business. The wife can attach her tablet to the TV and show the pics and videos if they request since it can do those almost good as our handheld camcorder.

Nexus is light but limited on the space. We have a 32 GB micro card, it comes in handy for video and pictures. That was the ultimate deal breaker for us.

We don't use it for games so the GPU is something we don't care about.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Yeah I guess for that it's limited, but I don't care about photography haha.

I want something that i can play games on, browse the web, and lasts a long time. It's basically if you would, what I'd use to go on th eweb while chilling on the couch. Or that I can take with me on road trips, etc. I am a google believer, I have google music for my music and so many other things so for me the integration into android rocks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Yeah I guess for that it's limited, but I don't care about photography haha.

I want something that i can play games on, browse the web, and lasts a long time. It's basically if you would, what I'd use to go on th eweb while chilling on the couch. Or that I can take with me on road trips, etc. I am a google believer, I have google music for my music and so many other things so for me the integration into android rocks.
    The ASUS tablets are nice for the extra features, but if you want gaming, Nexus is your only choice, I agree with that.

But the only game I play and ever will play is WOW and occasional game of cards like pinochle on yahoo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    For me I want something simple. Nexus fits that bill. It also is runs fast and many other things. Obviously it isn't perfect for like everyone. But for me and my wanting a cheap way to get good internet, mail, etc.

Not Actually Brian Hunter Metaphysicist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    You think that people who need to have the high end graphics card, processors, etc. in their work computers won't want to upgrade when the new ones come out? Would they rather spend 1500 bucks to get a new GPU or 3000 for a whole new computer?
    Some shops/studios/firms/whatever (and a number of solo pros) will surely want to do this, and for them there are plenty of better options. But many firms will likely buy a bunch of machines, use them each for a couplafew years (likely upgrading only the basics like RAM and storage, as needed), and then buy brand new machines. It is just not accurate that all these firms will need or want to buy new GPUs every year.

Regardless, given that you can get a Mac Pro with dual d700s that actually costs less than the two of the comparable w9000s alone, your upgrade costs for people who need the absolute top-of-the-line graphics hardware are not accurate.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Other than gamers who wants or use suped up versions of non-macs?
    I would think even the small niche that use mac pros would still be bigger than people that use same price comparable non-macs. Every animator and recording artist that I have seen use Pros. I imagine every popular magazine is made on an apple computer now if not a pro.

The recently released Pro already has a one month shipping wait.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    That's probably because most animators and recording tech you've seen is a hipster. I have a friend with a degree in record engineering or whatever that waste of a degree is called. He didn't go to a specific art school for it and learned from someone who worked at some label in NY (don't recall which one) that there's no advantage to having a Mac over PC. They use different programs but they both work totally fine. But people think Macs are better for some reason. Many art schools have deals with Apple, and they therefor teach Apple, pretty genius work by Apple if you think about it. If you go to a film school, and they teach you Final Cut, and you'll be familiar with Final Cut, and then you'll stay with it because of familiarity.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Excellent counterpoint, Zito. The only people who use Macs are hipsters (an enormous, ambiguously large subset of amateurs) and those who have actual professional training.

Apple has been throwing computers at every conceivable institution since the 80s, using basically the reasoning you espouse. This surely has helped their business, but it has hardly amounted to a dominant market share. The reasoning behind creative pros using Macs is a wee bit more complex than "it's what I used in school." These programs aren't just simple word processors, and the variations can be pretty noteworthy and severe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Some benchmarks out for Mac Pro. Basically the optimist conclusion is most major programs are not updated for multi-GPU and some programs have AMD support issues. If the software guys don't get on board, there will be many issues with the Mac Pro.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Sure, if there is no software to use the benefits of the hardware, then sure, the hardware is pointless. But that seems fairly unlikely...

The CPU also turned out to be user-replaceable, so that's a big boost in terms of upgradeability.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Unlikely there's certainly the chance, but it will depend on how the Mac Pro sells. My girlfriend who went to film school and knows a lot of people who're already leaving FCP for Adobe pointed out that Mac (and she's a mac user, 100%) needs the Mac Pro to succeed to keep FCP to succeed or it could risk losing it's control over the arts sector. Music has already seen a shift. NOt totally of course but Mac exclusive software is losing and you may see people leaving Mac for PCs to save money if Mac doesn't redo their software or have a major hardware success.

Also it's fair to point out that the CPU is not easily user replaceable. I've read a few tear downs and they talk about it and they say you can do it, it's not hard but you have to be diligent with the wiring as it's tighter than a normal PC. Way tighter.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    I'm debating what I want to do with as far as tablets go. I am fixing my old Xoom and selling it to my mom for a deal. I'm gonna repair as best I can my clunky laptop and hope that if I do I can sell if for a few hundred. Otherwise I should be able to get 200+ from parts alone. Has a 2.3 GHz Sandy Bridge i5, q NVidea GeForce GT540M and 6 gigs of Ram. Those alone are worth probably 200. Add in the dell backlit keyboard, camera, DVD burner, a decent hard drive (maybe 30 bucks for it)
    I bought a Kindle HDX 8.9" from Amazon (they were offering a 9-month interest free payment plan) and am absolutely loving the resolution, battery life (over a week in standby and battery has only dropped 10%), and speed. Obviously, Amazon OS sucks more than just balls, but I'm waiting for a legitimate root/ROM option to pop-up and will then go full Android.

I've owned the Sony Xperia Tablet Z, iPad 3/4 and Mini, Surface RT, Galaxy Tab in the past 1.5 years and this is actually the only one I've thought about keeping. I usually can't justify keeping a $400/$500 piece of equipment laying around for weeks unused because I take my laptop with me everywhere and it's better for virtually everything that I do. That being said, the price point for the HDX was just right, and selling my Xperia freed up the cash for me to buy both the HDX and a Kindle Paperwhite.

I'm bending over for Bezos.
    Last edited by Hawk; 01-07-2014 at 08:21 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    I don't want a large tablet. I have my Chromebook which is my go to thing for things that I'd need a larger screen. I want a smaller one for ereading and game playing. Question though being do I want to go 7" or 8" I think the largest I could go is the GPad.

But in the end I'm sure I'll stick with the Nexus. I may decide to break what I want and go larger when the new Nexus 10 comes out. But I doubt it.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    What games do you play on your tablet? I haven't found any that were remotely worthwhile, but haven't looked very hard either. I see Candy Crush Saga at the top of the download charts and eschew looking at the rest of the category.

If you want to stay small you are going to hard pressed to find anything better than the Nexus 7, especially if you are a compatriot in the Google ecosystem. I went a bit bigger because I didn't see much difference between the likes of the Nex7 and my Note 3.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Nothing overly serious. Right now, Simpson's Tapped Out, Sonic 1 and 2 (got them for a buck each) Plants vs. Zombies 2, Battle Run. and Wordhero. Battle run and Simpsons Tapped Out are my go to right now. Tapped out is silly, basically farmville for Simpsons nerds, Battle Run is super addictive. But I basically pick up a few games every few months on tips from others.

Another thing I'll want my Tablet for is since my chromebook isn't Windows, Mac or Linux, I'd like a portable version of beersmith and I think it would work way better on a Tablet than my smart phone.

And I have the G2 right now, so I'm not overly in love with the size difference, but I don't really want anything bigger. Nexus 7 is almost for sure the one I'll go for. I really just want something for ereading primarily as I did use my old tablet for that. Maybe I'll do larger but I doubt it. And if I do it's 100% gonna be the Nexus 10. Other decision is I'm mulling over the idea of ditching the G2 for the Moto X since it's only 400 retail base (I want a wooden back and 32 gigs so it's a bit more) cause if I do that then I'll probably go with the Note 10.1 or the GPad 8.3 because I want an all in one remote. I use my G2 for that now (Only thing I can't turn on I think is my XBox)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    My girlfriend who went to film school a [...] she's a mac user, 100%
    I see now that Zito's Mac hate is actually just a passive-aggresive outlet against his girlfriend. It all comes together.