Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves acquire RHP Touki Toussaint & Bronson Arroyo for Filthy Phil Gosselin

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,833 Posts
    Mark Bowman ‏@mlbbowman 40s41 seconds ago
    The #Braves have discussed Toussaint for more than a month. But he because he was a '14 draftee, he wasn't trade eligible until June 12
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Touki has to be hurt right????
    If not, D'Backs probably think a lot less of him than us. They probably don't like him as much now as when drafted for some reason, maybe think he'll flame out by AA as some say could happen. But I could care less, I like this deal because the kid has a lot of potential and outside of cash we gave up almost nothing. Plus Braves are good at developing pitching so I think he has a better shot to reach his potential here too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,306 Posts
    Does anybody know of any good DBacks message boards? I could spend hours reading their responses.
    Here is one http://forum.diamondbacksbullpen.org...php?f=4&t=2574

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,314 Posts
    Seriously, why didn't Arizona shop this offer around? Surely they could have received something more than freaking Gosselin.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,833 Posts
    Mark Bowman ‏@mlbbowman 4m4 minutes ago
    Braves assistant GM John Coppolella on the trade: "We felt the payoff down the line would be too good to just let it go."

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Jim Callis
    @jimcallisMLB
    I heard 92-96 w/plus secondary last night. @tulorox2: they must know something about Touki that everyone else not privy to? @Braves @Dbacks

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    From a D'Backs forum:

To recap:

In the past 5 years, we've traded Scherzer, Upton, Bauer, Parker, Skaggs, Kennedy, and now Arroyo and Touki.

We have nothing of merit to speak of from these deals.

This is why it's hard to find any hope for this franchise.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (06-20-2015), CyYoung31 (06-20-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    @DCameronFG: With this $10 million in savings, maybe the D’Backs can now afford a better GM?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dak For This Useful Post:

Heyward (06-20-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,833 Posts
    Seriously, why didn't Arizona shop this offer around? Surely they could have received something more than freaking Gosselin.
    If you look at the tweet from Bowman I just copied and pasted, the Braves have discussed TT for over a month. If Arizona knew that, surely they could get something more than a utility player for one of their top prospects, no offense to Gosselin.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    If not, D'Backs probably think a lot less of him than us. They probably don't like him as much now as when drafted for some reason, maybe think he'll flame out by AA as some say could happen. But I could care less, I like this deal because the kid has a lot of potential and outside of cash we gave up almost nothing. Plus Braves are good at developing pitching so I think he has a better shot to reach his potential here too.
    I understand it's a new regime, but to essentially give up on a guy over 10 starts is ASININE.

Don't make no qualms. They gave up on Touki. There is zero upside for them in this trade.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    From a D'Backs forum:
    Nick Ahmed has been ok for them defensively.
    Forever Fredi

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,766 Posts
    Allllll aboard the Flipmobile!
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,833 Posts
    JJ Cooper ‏@jjcoop36 5m5 minutes ago
    To say this trade makes no sense for the Diamondbacks is borderline obvious. Braves just bought a first-round arm at close to no other cost.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    If you look at the tweet from Bowman I just copied and pasted, the Braves have discussed TT for over a month. If Arizona knew that, surely they could get something more than a utility player for one of their top prospects, no offense to Gosselin.
    Apparently the main thing here from Arizona's view was dumping Arroyo's salary, Gosselin is just a small piece to get back in return while doing so.

I'd argue they gave up too much just to dump 10.1 million or so but obviously they disagree.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Carlos Collazo ‏@CarlosACollazo

Coppolella also said that they saw Toussaint pitch last night and were impressed with his changeup.
    #Braves

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,314 Posts
    These young arms may never develop, but dammit if Hart and Co. aren't doing everything humanly possible to give themselves a chance.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,035 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Kane County's Touki Toussaint was sailing in a June 7 start against Dayton, retiring 11 batters in a row.

He flashed the 97 mph fastball that landed him a first-round selection with the Arizona Diamondbacks last year. He mixed in the curveball that Kane County pitching coach Doug Bochtler calls an "old-fashioned knee-buckler." He kept the Dragons off-balance with a Major League changeup.

Just when the 18-year-old right-hander was unleashing his exceptional potential, reality came crashing in all around him.

Toussaint gave up four runs in a stretch of six pitches.

Mastering consistency is just one of the lessons Toussaint is focused on in his development.

"Fastball command is definitely the key to everything," said Toussaint, the D-backs' No. 4 prospect. "You have to pitch out of your fastball. You can't pitch out of anything else. I throw a changeup and a curveball, but if you have good fastball command, everything else is going to be better.

"The thing I've learned is the quicker you make adjustments, the quicker you're going to be successful. Making adjustments in the game is really the biggest thing," he addded. "I'm learning to throw punches and keep strapping it up. Last year was a struggle, but I got my confidence back, and I'm ready to roll."

Last season, Toussaint was 2-4 with an 8.48 ERA in 12 games. There has been significant progress, though -- Toussaint didn't get past the fifth inning last year, but this season, he's hit the seventh. He's also matured as a student of the game.

"It's been nice to see his progression," Bochtler said. "The coaches in extended spring training did a tremendous job with him. When he came here, he was a much different guy than when we left Spring Training."

Bochtler said Toussaint has a brilliant future ahead of him.

"Touki is a real athletic guy, and he retains information very well," Bochtler said. "You can put something into play, tell him how to do it and it's done. He has a tremendous feel for his body, and he's able to make quick adjustments. Everybody looks at him and says, 'Wow, this kid has a chance to be somebody special.' He had some very successful games in Spring Training, and he was able to carry over the bullpen success.

"With Touki, it's a matter of working in counts and controlling his effort level out there, a less is more kind of mentality. It's harnessing the tools that God has given him, because they are special.

Toussaint said that the pro level has been a learning experience.

"It's been fun, and I'm around a great group of guys," Toussaint said. "There are older guys I try to learn as much from as I can. The challenging part is, the first year, I didn't have the confidence that I wanted to have. Coming from high school ball, I was like, 'Oh, man. These dudes are so good. They're big league hitters. They're really advanced.' I had to realize that I have to attack, and have fun.

"The older guys sit me down and tell me that I need to take notes, I need to do this, I need to do that, because I'm facing people that I will face 100 times, a thousand times in my career. I have to get that advantage, and know who I'm facing, and know everything about them."Toussaint said that the pro level has been a learning experience.

"It's been fun, and I'm around a great group of guys," Toussaint said. "There are older guys I try to learn as much from as I can. The challenging part is, the first year, I didn't have the confidence that I wanted to have. Coming from high school ball, I was like, 'Oh, man. These dudes are so good. They're big league hitters. They're really advanced.' I had to realize that I have to attack, and have fun.

"The older guys sit me down and tell me that I need to take notes, I need to do this, I need to do that, because I'm facing people that I will face 100 times, a thousand times in my career. I have to get that advantage, and know who I'm facing, and know everything about them."

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp...=.jsp&sid=milb

Just off a little video, has a pretty nasty breaking ball.
    Good God, look at that ****ing deuce.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,833 Posts
    Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS 3m3 minutes ago Chicago, IL
    agree with all, toussaint is a good buy for $10M. but this consensus points out what great deals very top draft picks are

21. The Following User Says Thank You to CrimsonCowboy For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (06-20-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,833 Posts
    JJ Cooper ‏@jjcoop36 3m3 minutes ago
    If MLB was a league with a salary cap I could understand this deal. It's not. There is no upside to this deal if you are a Dbacks fan.

Ouch from the D-Backs view

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,543 Posts
    Toussaint was ranked #71 by BA at the start of the year. Based on his performance this year, he'll hold steady or move up a little. This is a good trade for us. If you are absolutely committed to writing off 2015, it is a very good trade. Otherwise you could have used the funds to upgrade this year and possibly 2016 (depending how the accountants treat the buyout).

24. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (06-20-2015)