Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 10/4/2014 GDT x 2: Let's play two? No-o-o-o-o-o-o! Oh, yes!!!

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    I didn't mean for that to be a Grumpy Gus comment, rather I was just amazed that he hit so many HR in his relatively short stay, particularly after not showing much power in the minors.

I wouldn't be surprised if he were a part of next year's plan, particularly since Olivera has not been a paragon of durability. His low walk rate means he'd probably have limited utility is a starter, but he had a nice little run this year and I wouldn't be surprised to see him be a useful piece next year, on some level.

The nicest thing about the last week has been seeing Wisler, Shelby, and Julio finish strong. Now that's Reason to Believe.
    I was just making an observation. Tough year for HRs in Atlanta. Garcia had a nice run. Curious to see what they do with him. He could be a good 250 AB to 300 AB guy getting some time at 3B and LF. A lot will depend on Olivera. No question Garcia was a plus pick-up. I wonder if they'll see if Garcia can play some 1B and 2B.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I was just making an observation. Tough year for HRs in Atlanta. Garcia had a nice run. Curious to see what they do with him. He could be a good 250 AB to 300 AB guy getting some time at 3B and LF. A lot will depend on Olivera. No question Garcia was a plus pick-up. I wonder if they'll see if Garcia can play some 1B and 2B.
    NOOO.. The last thing we need is Garcia playing a double play position. His inability to play consistent defense and low OBP will hamper his ability to have a starting job. His power was a huge surprise because of the minor league numbers. I am not sure if he grew some but he is 30 so I don't see that being a factor. Hopefully BB is testing so he didn't grow the Bonds method. I see him as a bench guy. His sample size is way to small to claim him as a starter.

Brian Jordan's New BFF JohnAdcox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    I still hope Olivera will get a long look at second in winter ball or spring training.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnAdcox View Post
    I still hope Olivera will get a long look at second in winter ball or spring training.
    My only concern about that is the potential for him to get dinged up at 2B.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    I didn't mean for that to be a Grumpy Gus comment, rather I was just amazed that he hit so many HR in his relatively short stay, particularly after not showing much power in the minors.

I wouldn't be surprised if he were a part of next year's plan, particularly since Olivera has not been a paragon of durability. His low walk rate means he'd probably have limited utility is a starter, but he had a nice little run this year and I wouldn't be surprised to see him be a useful piece next year, on some level.

The nicest thing about the last week has been seeing Wisler, Shelby, and Julio finish strong. Now that's Reason to Believe.
    you have to be really impressed with the way wisler finished the season. Since the disaster against the Yanks, he finished the season pitching 34.2 innings with a 2.37 ERA 9 BB and 24 Ks... pretty strong 5 game stretch.

Shelby we all know how he pitched. He should have had a sub 3 ERA.. There were several games where defense cost him runs and innings pitched.. He pitched way better than his record and even ERA shows.

Julio had a very up and down year but he had 20 Quality Starts out of 33. He also had a strong second half and if you look at his last six games (also going back to the Yanks) he posted 39 innings and 1.62 ERA.. I think this year was Julio's 'what happened here' year. I would expect him to get back to career averages next year.

Perez and Weber made some strides. Although, I expect them to be in AAA starting they both had pretty solid years. Weber with a really small sample size but his stuff looked pretty solid. If you toss out his disaster start he posted a 2.76 in 26.1 innings.
    Perez, again going back to that Yanks series. Perez's next six starts he posted a 3.07 ERA in 36 innings.

Although those are some small sample sizes and you can't take away the bad games, it does give one hope that things will improve next year.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-05-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    you have to be really impressed with the way wisler finished the season. Since the disaster against the Yanks, he finished the season pitching 34.2 innings with a 2.37 ERA 9 BB and 24 Ks... pretty strong 5 game stretch.

Shelby we all know how he pitched. He should have had a sub 3 ERA.. There were several games where defense cost him runs and innings pitched.. He pitched way better than his record and even ERA shows.

Julio had a very up and down year but he had 20 Quality Starts out of 33. He also had a strong second half and if you look at his last six games (also going back to the Yanks) he posted 39 innings and 1.62 ERA.. I think this year was Julio's 'what happened here' year. I would expect him to get back to career averages next year.

Perez and Weber made some strides. Although, I expect them to be in AAA starting they both had pretty solid years. Weber with a really small sample size but his stuff looked pretty solid. If you toss out his disaster start he posted a 2.76 in 26.1 innings.
    Perez, again going back to that Yanks series. Perez's next six starts he posted a 3.07 ERA in 36 innings.

Although those are some small sample sizes and you can't take away the bad games, it does give one hope that things will improve next year.
    Yeah, the way the starting pitching finished the year was encouraging. Add a mid-level FA and we have a solid group:

1. Miller
    2. Teheran
    3. FA
    4. Minor
    5. Wisler

And some good depth in AAA where the rotation might look like this: Perez, Folty, Gant, Jenkins, Weber. And Banuelos presumably in the major league pen, but capable of being stretched out if necessary. Pitching depth is very important and it looks like we will have it next year. We might be able to parlay some of that depth into some position players once 2017 rolls around.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 10-05-2015 at 08:33 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (10-05-2015)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    NOOO.. The last thing we need is Garcia playing a double play position. His inability to play consistent defense and low OBP will hamper his ability to have a starting job. His power was a huge surprise because of the minor league numbers. I am not sure if he grew some but he is 30 so I don't see that being a factor. Hopefully BB is testing so he didn't grow the Bonds method. I see him as a bench guy. His sample size is way to small to claim him as a starter.
    I'm not thinking of Garcia as a full-time 2B. I was just wondering if he could get some innings there so that if needed in a pinch or as part of a double-switch that he could play there without embarrassing himself. It doesn't appear he is much of a fielder at any position, but it does look like he can hit some.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Yeah, the way the starting pitching finished the year was encouraging. Add a mid-level FA and we have a solid group:

1. Miller
    2. Teheran
    3. FA
    4. Minor
    5. Wisler

And some good depth in AAA where the rotation might look like this: Perez, Folty, Gant, Jenkins, Weber. And Banuelos presumably in the major league pen, but capable of being stretched out if necessary. Pitching depth is very important and it looks like we will have it next year. We might be able to parlay some of that depth into some position players once 2017 rolls around.
    Also curious to see where Lucas Sims starts the 2016 season. A good spring could put him in Gwinnett.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-05-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Also curious to see where Lucas Sims starts the 2016 season. A good spring could put him in Gwinnett.
    I'm thinking the Mississippi rotation might look like this: Sims, Janas, Bird, Thurman, Barker.

One of the things the trades did was build up some depth in the upper level rotations. We'll potentially have guys like Folty, Gant, Jenkins, Bird, Thurman and Whalen in the AAA and AA rotations that were picked up in trades. I suspect most of them will not turn out to be significant players at the major league level, but maybe one or two will.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    I'm thinking the Mississippi rotation might look like this: Sims, Janas, Bird, Thurman, Barker.

One of the things the trades did was build up some depth in the upper level rotations. We'll potentially have guys like Folty, Gant, Jenkins, Bird, Thurman and Whalen in the AAA and AA rotations that were picked up in trades. I suspect most of them will not turn out to be significant players at the major league level, but maybe one or two will.
    I haven't looked at the 40-man roster situation, but I'm wondering if Weber gets waived off the 40-man and if anyone picks him up if that happens. He pitched a whale of a game on Thursday night, but I don't know if his stuff is good enough to warrant a spot on the roster. Looks to have a limited ceiling, but no one can argue with his control and GB ratio.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (10-05-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    I haven't looked at the 40-man roster situation, but I'm wondering if Weber gets waived off the 40-man and if anyone picks him up if that happens. He pitched a whale of a game on Thursday night, but I don't know if his stuff is good enough to warrant a spot on the roster. Looks to have a limited ceiling, but no one can argue with his control and GB ratio.
    If I'm the Braves, I DFA him but definitely still offer him an MiLB contract and ST invite. I don't suspect any team will offer him an MLB deal, so Weber's market should just be a few teams offering ST invites. Good chance he would stick with the Braves org in that scenario.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    The team will have to make some choices in that regard. I'm assuming Detwiler, Edwin Jackson and Marimon will definitely be gone. Jackson is a free agent. Not sure about Detwiler, but even if he isn't I don't think we'll be keeping him.

After that we will probably have to let go of two more guys if we sign 3 FA relievers, 1 starter and 1 catcher this off-season. If we add Gant to the 40-man (and I think this is likely) the number currently on the 40-man who will have to be moved off increases to three.

The choices for who to move off the 40-man will come from Burawa, Kelly, Cunniff, Cabrera, Weber, McKirahan, Marksberry, Lavernway, Cunningham and Eury Perez. My guess is that Burawa, Kelly and McKirahan are the three most likely to be moved off from this group.

I'm not sure of Moylan's status. I believe he is in year 1 of a 2-year minor league deal that guarantees him an invite to major league camp. I'm assuming he will not be on the 40-man.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    If I'm the Braves, I DFA him but definitely still offer him an MiLB contract and ST invite. I don't suspect any team will offer him an MLB deal, so Weber's market should just be a few teams offering ST invites. Good chance he would stick with the Braves org in that scenario.
    That's kind of what I'm thinking. It's not like the Braves don't have a bunch of guys to drop from the 40-man (Kelly, Marimon, Detwiler, etc.), but I imagine some guys will have to come on. Braves have five (count them--FIVE) guys on the 60-day DL and all have to be re-instated onto the 40-man over the winter or be waived.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Here is a stab at what our 40-man will be:

1. FA Reliever
    2. FA Reliever
    3. FA Reliever
    4. FA Catcher
    5. FA Starting Pitcher
    6. Miller
    7. Teheran
    8. Minor
    9. Wisler
    10. Banuelos
    11. Paco Rodriguez
    12. Vizcaino
    13. Withrow
    14. Winkler
    15. Foltynewicz
    16. Williams Perez
    17. Weber
    18. Grilli
    19. Marksberry
    20. Jenkins
    21. Gant
    22. Cabrera
    23. Shae Simmons
    24. Bethancourt
    25. Lavernway
    26. Freeman
    27. Swisher
    28. Jace Peterson
    29. Andrelton Simmons
    30. Olivera
    31. Castro
    32. Garcia
    33. Bourn
    34. Maybin
    35. Markakis
    36. Terdoslavich
    37. Cunningham
    38. Eury Perez
    39. Ciriaco
    40. Toscano

If we want to take someone in the Rule 5 draft, we will need to create a spot.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 10-05-2015 at 09:54 AM.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts

1. Miller
    2. Teheran
    3. FA
    4. Minor
    5. Wisler

yes, I like that too. To think our AAA pitching would light years better than it was last year. Gwinnett may have a pretty solid team next year.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Here is a stab at what our 40-man will be:

1. FA Reliever
    2. FA Reliever
    3. FA Reliever
    4. FA Catcher
    5. FA Starting Pitcher
    6. Miller
    7. Teheran
    8. Minor
    9. Wisler
    10. Banuelos
    11. Paco Rodriguez
    12. Vizcaino
    13. Withrow
    14. Winkler
    15. Foltynewicz
    16. Williams Perez
    17. Weber
    18. Grilli
    19. Marksberry
    20. Jenkins
    21. Gant
    22. Cabrera
    23. Shae Simmons
    24. Bethancourt
    25. Lavernway
    26. Freeman
    27. Swisher
    28. Jace Peterson
    29. Andrelton Simmons
    30. Olivera
    31. Castro
    32. Garcia
    33. Bourn
    34. Maybin
    35. Markakis
    36. Terdoslavich
    37. Cunningham
    38. Eury Perez
    39. Ciriaco
    40. Toscano

If we want to take someone in the Rule 5 draft, we will need to create a spot.

I personally think Maybin is packaged with someone this offseason to clear some salary... maybe CB if they are looking for a catcher. If CB is given another chance then I expect Lavernway to be let go. That is two spots off the 40 man.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    I believe Mallex needs to be protected on the 40-man as well. Signed as 19 year old and has 4 years of pro ball.

I'm expecting Lavarnway to be removed. Has no options remaining, and doesn't seem appreciably better than guys we will be able to sign to minor-league deals.

Other borderline guys would be . . . Ciriaco (arb eligible), Perez (out of options), Terdoslavich (redundant with Swisher?), Weber.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to dak For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-05-2015)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    I believe Mallex needs to be protected on the 40-man as well. Signed as 19 year old and has 4 years of pro ball.

I'm expecting Lavarnway to be removed. Has no options remaining, and doesn't seem appreciably better than guys we will be able to sign to minor-league deals.

Other borderline guys would be . . . Ciriaco (arb eligible), Perez (out of options), Terdoslavich (redundant with Swisher?), Weber.
    I thought this was his fourth year so he has one more year of not having to be on the 40 man.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-05-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts

I believe you are correct. Good catch.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-05-2015)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I imagine Paco will be on the 60-day, right? Maybe Grilli, too?