Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Maybin's Trade Value

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts

Maybin's Trade Value

His contract calls for 8M in salary in 2016. There is an option at 9M in 2017 with a 1M buyout.

He just finished a season where he was worth 1 WAR with a slash line of .267/.327/.370 in 555 PA.

Last off-season free agent position players were getting about 7M/projected win.

How much trade value does Maybin have?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Enough to warrant trading him, in my opinion. Could bring back an above average LOOGY or something like that.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Probably just enough that the Braves wouldn't have to include any money in a deal that brings back a team's ~20th prospect. Possibly enough to bring back another team's top 5ish prospect if he is paired with a pitcher and sent to a team that needs cheap pitching plus an OFer. Either way, he probably isn't moved until most of the FA musical chairs have settled and some team is left without a solution in the OF.

For what it's worth, I don't think he will be traded. If an acceptable offer wasn't available at the deadline, I don't think anything has changed to make Maybin any more in demand/valuable. He will probably be the opening day CFer in Atlanta, and may move to RF (moving Markakis to LF) if/when Mallex is ready to get his shot in CF. If Mallex looks like he is legit, Maybin will be traded at the deadline if he maintains his 700 OPS, or released if he goes back to a 600 OPS. Assuming the Braves are sellers at the deadline, of course.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    While we are at it lets look at Markakis.

He is due 10.5M/year for the next three seasons.

Coming off a 1.6 WAR season with a slash line of .296/.370/.376.

I think the neck surgery did affect his power and maybe his arm this past season. So some improvement is likely in those categories. But the BABIP gods are not likely to be as generous as they were in 2015, when he put up a .338 BABIP, 20 points above his career average. I would expect him to generate 3-4 WAR total over the remaining three years of his contract.

Does he have any trade value?

I think with both Maybin and Markakis the trade value is neglible. Could even be slightly negative.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    If he can be had for someone who projected to be a solid releiver then I say go for it.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    We should shop anyone and everyone. If we get even moderate returns for Markakis or Maybin we have to take it. I know it's a sign of throwing in the towel, but that's exactly what we're doing.

Freeman would be the only person I wouldn't trade, because IMO he's a franchise building block type of player. If we trade away enough expensive guys anyway we can maybe make a big FA splash like by signing Price or Heyward, people will forget about trading Maybin and Markakis and Simmons if we bring in Heyward or Price.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    I would like to keep Maybin. He has an ideal contract. As bad as we need offense we don't need to be trading what we have.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-08-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Maybin didn't play much after we got Bourne it seemed. I'd trade him for a bp arm in a heartbeat and put the money towards a starter.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    I would like to keep Maybin. He has an ideal contract. As bad as we need offense we don't need to be trading what we have.
    Maybin had a 94 WRC+. Not much offense there.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (10-06-2015)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Maybin didn't play much after we got Bourne it seemed. I'd trade him for a bp arm in a heartbeat and put the money towards a starter.
    I agree. Both Born and Maybin are under contract. Maybin is the better player although that's not saying much. The Braves are likely to not be very good next year regardless. If you can trade Maybin for anything useful or package him with someone more useful then do it.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (10-06-2015), Hudson2 (10-07-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    While I like him, Maybin is better moved in a trade given the direction headed.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    We should shop anyone and everyone. If we get even moderate returns for Markakis or Maybin we have to take it. I know it's a sign of throwing in the towel, but that's exactly what we're doing.

Freeman would be the only person I wouldn't trade, because IMO he's a franchise building block type of player. If we trade away enough expensive guys anyway we can maybe make a big FA splash like by signing Price or Heyward, people will forget about trading Maybin and Markakis and Simmons if we bring in Heyward or Price.
    I agree with this except I would change Freeman with Simmons because I would go hard after Price and/or Greinke to lead the rotation as ACE and mentor the young pitching. I think having the best defensive shortstop in the game would help with that strategy.

Freeman is dressed up as a franchise player by the Braves but he really isn't one IMO. A franchise player needs to be in the conversation every year for the top three in baseball at his position and Freeman has never been that and probably never will be. He's a solid top 10 in baseball 1B which is good but he's closer to 10 than he is 1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Maybin had a 94 WRC+. Not much offense there.
    Thats still a lot better than whoever would have replaced him and a lot better than Mallex will put up. I think he may have worn down physically in the second half after playing in only 95 games in 2014 and 14 in 2013. If someone wants to give us premium talent for him I am fine with trading him but I dont want middle relievers, 5th starters, 4th outfielders, or utility infielders for him.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    I can see Maybing being traded to the Cubs for a deal involving Montero or Contreras. They have Ross for one more year who isn't going anywhere because of his closeness with Lester, and of course they have Kyle Schwarber who has expressed a desire to remain at catcher.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    We've talked about beefing up the bullpen and I think Maybin could net a mid-level bullpen arm, which would help with the bullpen and likely with the budget. So much depends on Mallex Smith.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    I can see Maybing being traded to the Cubs for a deal involving Montero or Contreras. They have Ross for one more year who isn't going anywhere because of his closeness with Lester, and of course they have Kyle Schwarber who has expressed a desire to remain at catcher.
    would rather have Contreras over Montero but do the Cubs need a center fielder. They have a young guy in the minors they are grooming and I thought Fowler was signed for next year.. I could be way off because I don't pay much attention to the Cubs.

never mind.. fowler is a free agent this off season.
    Last edited by bravesfanMatt; 10-07-2015 at 03:15 PM.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    would rather have Contreras over Montero but do the Cubs need a center fielder. They have a young guy in the minors they are grooming and I thought Fowler was signed for next year.. I could be way off because I don't pay much attention to the Cubs.
    Fowler's a free-agent this winter.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Wonder what it would take to get Baez from the Cubs.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Wonder what it would take to get Baez from the Cubs.
    If you're talking about the IF Baez, my guess is Baez and LaStella will be the back-ups in Chicago for the short-term or a platoon if Starlin Castro is moved. My guess is the price would be pretty high on Baez.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Given that he's owed $9m, Maybin is getting paid like a low to mid-level everyday player. I'd guess that no more than 10-20% of teams in MLB would consider him for an everyday CF role. So his value is most likely neutral to negative. The Braves almost certainly put him on revocable waivers in August to gauge his market a bit, so they should have some idea of what they're up against.