Page 17 of 33 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Miller market 'hot'

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sc1767 View Post
    I would rather keep him considering what we'd likely get back.
    We're smart to shop him and listen to offers. Certainly a chance someone will panic and overpay. But we better not trade him unless we are blown away

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    We trade him if we're blown away with an offer. WOrst case scenario for us is he gets hurt and loses value. Best case he keeps pitchign like he did or even better and we're holding onto a massive trade chip. I would be super passive about trading him. If we don't get a premium return (I don't consider Soler premium return)

If the Cubs would give up Addison Russell for Shelby then I'd listen. Soler just strikes out too much .He should bring plenty of pop, but I would rather go with someone safer, like Russell. Who's shown much more power already.

but our front office is SMITTEN over Soler, so we will probably give up Miller and Newcomb for him..

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (12-02-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    We trade him if we're blown away with an offer. WOrst case scenario for us is he gets hurt and loses value. Best case he keeps pitchign like he did or even better and we're holding onto a massive trade chip. I would be super passive about trading him. If we don't get a premium return (I don't consider Soler premium return)

If the Cubs would give up Addison Russell for Shelby then I'd listen. Soler just strikes out too much .He should bring plenty of pop, but I would rather go with someone safer, like Russell. Who's shown much more power already.
    Russell has shown more power?? Really??

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts

There's not a huge chance of him pitching better, so if the best-case scenario is that he simply retains his value while reducing the time left on his contract, then you absolutely try to shop him now.

No, you don't pull the trigger until you know you're getting the right value in return, but the Cubs aren't going to give us Russell for him for a couple reasons. One, he's a SS and they need him there going forward. Two, his talent is simply too good to trade for a guy you don't think is an ace, and I'm sure the Cubs don't see Miller as an ace. And three, he fills an important role in their lineup going forward, which is a guy who can get on base and create some pressure on the base paths.

Soler would be good value for Miller. I'd obviously try to get more than that given that Soler's value may have dipped some after last year, but I wouldn't be upset at all if he's the big piece we got in return. I'm not that worried about his K's. His minor league K-rate was never astronomically high, so he should settle down after he gets more experience. My only real issue with him is defense. He may just be a guy you have to put in LF, but his walk rate is acceptable and the power could be huge.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    We need to stop acting as though if we don't get a Seager or a Russell or a Urias then we've made a bad deal. The chances of pulling a guy like that for Shelby Miller are essentially nil.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Russell has shown more power?? Really??
    Yes

Granted we're talking similar stats, I just think that a 20 year old showing it is more impressive than a 22 year old who's more physically developed.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    I gotta admit, I like the balls Coppy is showing while shopping Miller. They don't do Miller-for-Pollock, so we offer Vizcaino also in exchange for Aaron Blair, who has more value than Vizcaino.

I like it. Just keep asking for more than he's worth for the next 3-4 months, then take a little less if nobody caves.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/1...ubs-trade.html

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I gotta admit, I like the balls Coppy is showing while shopping Miller. They don't do Miller-for-Pollock, so we offer Vizcaino also in exchange for Aaron Blair, who has more value than Vizcaino.

I like it. Just keep asking for more than he's worth for the next 3-4 months, then take a little less if nobody caves.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/1...ubs-trade.html

has he tried Miller for Trout yet?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    has he tried Miller for Trout yet?
    I was going to make a joke about how he needs to just repeat that Miller is worth Trout over and over so that when we ask for somebody slightly lower, they jump at it...but good grief is that roster lacking talent. There seriously isn't one major-league player they have on their roster I would trade Miller for....except Simmons :(

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Crasnick says it sounds like we will likely hold on to Miller. Speculates that we like Soler and the Cubs like Miller but we have no place to put Soler... makes me want to throw up a little in my mouth knowing that Markakis and Olivera are blocking a Soler add...

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Crasnick says it sounds like we will likely hold on to Miller. Speculates that we like Soler and the Cubs like Miller but we have no place to put Soler... makes me want to throw up a little in my mouth knowing that Markakis and Olivera are blocking a Soler add...
    We will see how it all develops....saying we are going to hold onto Miller could be a negotiation tactic...but if it is true it may not be the worst idea. I called into MLBNetwork XM this morning and talked with Steve Phillips about Miller. I asked if we don't get the right package do we hold onto Miller and go for an extension. C.J Nitkowski said he doesn't need an extension (he didn't know i was talking about beyond the 3 years)....

They said that it is definitely better to hold onto him. Miller and Teheran are the two types of pitchers that we should want to build around. But also with next years market being so bad, you might be able to get a better value for either of them next offseason as opposed to this offseason.

So who has the better value

Miller this offseason with a lot of pitching on the market and 3 years of control

or

Miller next offseason with little pitching on the market and 2 years of control

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN 9m9 minutes ago
    What ATL/Miller/Teheran, OAK/Sonny Gray, NYM, MIA/Fernandez all know:There will be desperate need for pitching fall '16. Very thin FA class.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Yay for the Markakis signing. Super hooray for the Olivera trade. I still would very surprised if he isn't traded.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    We will see how it all develops....saying we are going to hold onto Miller could be a negotiation tactic...but if it is true it may not be the worst idea. I called into MLBNetwork XM this morning and talked with Steve Phillips about Miller. I asked if we don't get the right package do we hold onto Miller and go for an extension. C.J Nitkowski said he doesn't need an extension (he didn't know i was talking about beyond the 3 years)....

They said that it is definitely better to hold onto him. Miller and Teheran are the two types of pitchers that we should want to build around. But also with next years market being so bad, you might be able to get a better value for either of them next offseason as opposed to this offseason.

So who has the better value

Miller this offseason with a lot of pitching on the market and 3 years of control

or

Miller next offseason with little pitching on the market and 2 years of control

Miller next year will be worth LESS... we will be yelling at the FO for not pulling a deal this offseason. Miller's ERA will most definitely be higher with the Defense the Braves are planning on fielding. That will also eat his innings up, so that will be down.. Then throw on top of that, one less year of control and he will also be getting even more expensive with another year of arb happening... It will be the worst decision this front office will have done if they don't trade Miller this OFFSEASON... IMO..

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    So F**King stupid. This is why I HATE the Markakis signing and Olivera trade. Soler is 100% the type of offensive player we need. But thanks to our wonderful front office we are severely limited to what positions we can target. F you hart and Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Miller next year will be worth LESS... we will be yelling at the FO for not pulling a deal this offseason. Miller's ERA will most definitely be higher with the Defense the Braves are planning on fielding. That will also eat his innings up, so that will be down.. Then throw on top of that, one less year of control and he will also be getting even more expensive with another year of arb happening... It will be the worst decision this front office will have done if they don't trade Miller this OFFSEASON... IMO..

His numbers dropping off are a valid argument to trade now. But what if his numbers improve? There is just as much of a chance of them improving than decreasing IMO. And while you have 1 less year of control, the pitching market is EXTREMELY thin next year

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emk418 View Post
    So F**King stupid. This is why I HATE the Markakis signing and Olivera trade. Soler is 100% the type of offensive player we need. But thanks to our wonderful front office we are severely limited to what positions we can target. F you hart and Coppy
    It's likely just posturing.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    His numbers dropping off are a valid argument to trade now. But what if his numbers improve? There is just as much of a chance of them improving than decreasing IMO. And while you have 1 less year of control, the pitching market is EXTREMELY thin next year

No there is not equal chance he improves on career numbers. there is a much better chance he slips with his numbers. how much.. who knows.

also, the pitching market will be the same.. every guy that is a FA this year will be pitching again next year. Boston with Price will still have price. Dodgers if they get Zack will still have Zack.. the Cubs.. whatever they do this year will still have that next year. The only difference is if a guy is injured.. but there is just as much chance that Miller gets injured as a guy on one of those teams..

it is insane to not put a deal together for Miller this year. Fine if you want to wait on Julio.. whatever.. he might improve..

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    It's likely just posturing.
    that is my hope as well.. it is a very good move to say, fine my guy is off the market.. I just really, really hope that is true..

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    I think the odds of his HR rate climbing instead of him increasing K's and decreasing BB's is more likely. Also factor in no more Simmons defense to help out either and I think it's much more likely his ERA will be higher in 2016.

You somehwat saw that happen in the 2nd half. His HR/9 rose from 0.48 to 0.68 in the 2nd half. ERA rose from 2.38 to 3.83. BABIP went from .276 (lucky) to .295 (normal). Losing Simmons will in no way help him in that area either.

Miller is a good pitcher but I think the odds are good his ERA will be closer to the mid 3's than sub 3 in 2016. And that changes the perception of him drastically especially with 1 less year before he hits FA.