Page 19 of 33 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Miller market 'hot'

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    It galls me that people want simply evaulate Markakis for his full season of 2015. The first two months, he was quietly (not making waves) getting his strength back from a very invasive neck surgery that could have easily ended his career or stunted his season. But he played 156 games, had over 40 extra base hits, nearly 180 hits and reached base over 250 times. I want that in my lineup moving forward.
    If he's a short stop, sure. But, since he's not, and since the Braves were Dead Last and by a remarkable 20% in HR hit last year, you have to try to find some power (now and moving forward) and the best place to find that is the corner OF spots (along with 3B). Since Olivera is likely limited to LF, then that means the Braves can't afford to carry Markakis as a limited power producer in RF. And really, why should they under any circumstances? They are rebuilding. Markakis is a guy that if you can get anything at all for, you move.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Horsehide Harry For This Useful Post:

chop2chip (12-03-2015), Hawk (12-03-2015)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    It galls me that people want simply evaulate Markakis for his full season of 2015. The first two months, he was quietly (not making waves) getting his strength back from a very invasive neck surgery that could have easily ended his career or stunted his season. But he played 156 games, had over 40 extra base hits, nearly 180 hits and reached base over 250 times. I want that in my lineup moving forward.
    I think people do take his whole season into consideration. And when looking at everything he did he comes out to a slightly below average player. Now there is nothing wrong with that as we are paying him market value but some question the need for such a player for 4 years when we are in full rebuild mode.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    The Cubs would likely make us take Castro as a salary dump.
    Plus require at least Newcomb.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Cubs fans seem to think it would take Soler plus a prospect like Underwood to get Miller.

http://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/2015/...r-trade-target

I pretty much agree, but the FA market for pitching will have to play out a bit more before trading Miller makes sense.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Cubs fans seem to think it would take Soler plus a prospect like Underwood to get Miller.

http://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/2015/...r-trade-target

I pretty much agree, but the FA market for pitching will have to play out a bit more before trading Miller makes sense.

there are cub fans who think it will take Miller and prospect to get just Soler too.. They think Soler is the end all be all..I don't have a link to the article that had those comments on it.. but basically calling Miller a #4 starter and about ten available pitchers that are better than Miller..

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Let's not be hyperbolic. He had a precautionary surgery on a slipped disc.

Anyways, I made no comment about Nick's performance in 2015. That's irrelevant, in that the goal from here on out is fielding a contending team in 2017/18. The likelihood that Nick remains a useful contributor at that juncture is pretty small.

You can take your 250 times on base guy, and I'll take a guy that can play above average defense and hit more than 2 HRs (and isn't going to be 34 when the Braves may/may not move into a window of contention).
    Last edited by Hawk; 12-03-2015 at 03:13 PM.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Why are so many people on Carrasco.. yes, he had huge K numbers this year.. but dude has heart issues and a one time TJS and is 28.. he took a smaller deal instead of waiting on FA, because he was worried about his own health. I am sorry.. I would like Miller being a solid #3/#2 pitcher on the Cubs or Dodgers over Carrasco.. who would command more in prospects and a greater risk. Fans are really dumb sometimes..

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Let's not be hyperbolic. He had a precautionary surgery on a slipped disc.

Anyways, I made no comment about Nick's performance in 2015. That's irrelevant, in that the goal from here on out is fielding a contending team in 2017/18. The likelihood that Nick remains a useful contributor at that juncture is pretty small.

You can take your 250 times on base guy, and I'll take a guy that can play decent defense and hit more than 2 HRs (and isn't going to be 34 when the Braves may/may not move into contention).
    that is what I don't get about people who want Nick to stay. They say he is a good guy and can get on base.. then say everyone else hates Nick...

No, I think Nick at Night was awesome for the Braves.. but he doesn't fit their needs. He needs to be on a team that has power and ready to win now.. Cubs would be perfect for him..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    The Cubs would likely make us take Castro as a salary dump.
    agreed... I'm just talking about what I would prefer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    I've wanted Soler since before we traded Heyward, so I would love to get him. That said, I think Miller is worth more than just Soler. I would expect another prospect or cash or something along those lines. I would do Teheran for Soler, though. No problem.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Why are so many people on Carrasco.. yes, he had huge K numbers this year.. but dude has heart issues and a one time TJS and is 28.. he took a smaller deal instead of waiting on FA, because he was worried about his own health. I am sorry.. I would like Miller being a solid #3/#2 pitcher on the Cubs or Dodgers over Carrasco.. who would command more in prospects and a greater risk. Fans are really dumb sometimes..

"dude" not only has better numbers - in the AL - than Miller or Julio, he also has a better contract. The better question is who doesn't want him???

If the Indians would part with Carrasco, Tyler Naquin, and Bobby Bradley for Freeman, I'd drive Freddie to the airport.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Miller and Freeman are the players on the Braves right now most capable of being a big part of the team once it's finally a winner again (2020 or so), so you really want to be blown away to trade either of those.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    I've wanted Soler since before we traded Heyward, so I would love to get him. That said, I think Miller is worth more than just Soler. I would expect another prospect or cash or something along those lines. I would do Teheran for Soler, though. No problem.
    And they are exactly opposite types of players.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    "dude" not only has better numbers - in the AL - than Miller or Julio, he also has a better contract. The better question is who doesn't want him???

If the Indians would part with Carrasco, Tyler Naquin, and Bobby Bradley for Freeman, I'd drive Freddie to the airport.
    I never said his numbers were not good.. I also said he took less money (therefore a great contract) because he was concerned about his health. I respect what he did. He wanted to get paid to take care of his family.. He didn't need 100 million to be happy. I am just saying that he has pitched basically a season and a half since TJS.. I being a Braves fan become very concerned when pitchers who are 25 + get TJS.. It is cool if you like him.. his numbers for the last season and a half have been great..

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Where I would be waiting for you with a death squad.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (12-03-2015)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    yeah.. I liked the deal with the Stros better.. headlining with AJ reed..

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    And they are exactly opposite types of players.
    Yeah. I wasn't comparing or anything. Just putting a timeline stamp on it.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Newest chat on MLBTR with Jeff Todd answering a couple Miller questions. He has now said he doesn't think Soler or Baez alone is enough for Miller.

https://traderumors.dilmot.com/strea...todd-12-3-2015

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (12-03-2015)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Newest chat on MLBTR with Jeff Todd answering a couple Miller questions. He has now said he doesn't think Soler or Baez alone is enough for Miller.

https://traderumors.dilmot.com/strea...todd-12-3-2015
    I agree.

PS--I'm not against moving Miller if it improves the team's chances for success in the long run, but I am really bullish on the guy. I think he's just coming into his own.
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 12-03-2015 at 05:57 PM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (12-03-2015)