Thread: Morosi: Braves interested in Machado

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ24 View Post
    Yep.

Once the Yankees add Machado, Harper, and another frontline starter, it's over. Nobody else will have a chance for a while.
    Not really how it works.

Besides, I don't think the Yankees have the comparative budget they did during George's tenure.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    When asked about the possibility of shifting back over to third, after assuming the shortstop job in Baltimore this year, Machado answered:“I’m a shortstop. I play shortstop.” (Via Marc Carig of The Athletic, on Twitter.)
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    When asked about the possibility of shifting back over to third, after assuming the shortstop job in Baltimore this year, Machado answered:“I’m a shortstop. I play shortstop.” (Via Marc Carig of The Athletic, on Twitter.)
    Well, he’s much more valuable as a 3B, so that fact plus his intransigence may limit his suitors.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ixiXSolidXixi View Post
    Since 1958!!
    FTFY, on behalf of [MENTION=54]50PoundHead[/MENTION].

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Not really how it works.

Besides, I don't think the Yankees have the comparative budget they did during George's tenure.
    Not to say the Yanks couldn't afford one of those guys, but they've been pretty reticent to bust the luxury tax threshold in recent years. I expect they'll use some coin to lock up some of their young studs before doing a King George-esque raid on the FA market.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Not to say the Yanks couldn't afford one of those guys, but they've been pretty reticent to bust the luxury tax threshold in recent years. I expect they'll use some coin to lock up some of their young studs before doing a King George-esque raid on the FA market.
    They reset their luxury tax clock specifically to splurge this off season.

It would be a pretty big upset if they don't end up with one of Machado or Harper.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    They reset their luxury tax clock specifically to splurge this off season.

It would be a pretty big upset if they don't end up with one of Machado or Harper.
    The Dodgers did the same and will likely end up with the other.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Right, I just meant one or the other, not both.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Right, I just meant one or the other, not both.
    Both plus a major rotation piece was what the poster suggested.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Well, he’s much more valuable as a 3B, so that fact plus his intransigence may limit his suitors.
    Yea, at third he is a plus defender saving at least 6 runs there every season and as many as 35 in one season, plus he saved 13 and 14 runs there in 14-15 seasons. But at short this year? He has an ugly -19 DRS at a position where defense matters a lot. I don't want a shortstop that bad defensively, esp. when the same player is a plus defender at third.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Braves1976 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-11-2018), jpx7 (07-10-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Both plus a major rotation piece was what the poster suggested.
    Taylor knows athletes due to daddy’s baseball exploits, and knows economics from classes at the local community college, so I wouldn’t doubt those posts.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Dodgers reportedly paying #4, #10, plus three more for 2+ months of Manny - anybody still interested???

Rough equivalent of Anderson, Touki (or Pache), and then some.

This team just ain't THAT close, sorry.
    Last edited by clvclv; 07-18-2018 at 06:36 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

Managuarantano's Volunteers (07-18-2018), USMA76 (07-18-2018)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    On the 15th this was written-- posted in Tomahawk Take

Jerry Crasnick

@jcrasnick
    The #RedSox and #Braves are both interested in Mike Moustakas as a trade deadline acquisition, sources say. The #Yankees have already been mentioned as a potential landing spot. There's enough of a market for Moose that it's more likely than not the Royals deal him this month.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Dodgers reportedly paying #4, #10, plus three more for 2+ months of Manny - anybody still interested???

Rough equivalent of Anderson, Touki (or Pache), and then some.

This team just ain't THAT close, sorry.
    We won't know the rough equivalent until all the names are out. The Dodger #4 and #10 likely don't compare at all with the Braves #4 and #10. Diaz started the year as a 45 FV prospect and is likely at 50 FV now.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    I like this. It “does” make the Dodgers better. The Phils do not get him and neither do the Yankees (which that team with Machado...dang).

He won’t have a position really next year if he wants to play SS most likely. This is probably the least of evils.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    We won't know the rough equivalent until all the names are out. The Dodger #4 and #10 likely don't compare at all with the Braves #4 and #10. Diaz started the year as a 45 FV prospect and is likely at 50 FV now.
    I would think Waters and Wilson would compare. May be Brett Cumberland and Touki. Both prospects are at least 50 FV, with May's stock rising, so he could be a 55 FV at this point. If the Orioles managed to get both, they robbed the Dodgers blind.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

clvclv (07-18-2018)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I would think Waters and Wilson would compare. May be Brett Cumberland and Touki. Both prospects are at least 50 FV, with May's stock rising, so he could be a 55 FV at this point. If the Orioles managed to get both, they robbed the Dodgers blind.
    Yeah...noooo thanks!!

Wilson could mess around and be one of the most successful guys we drafted and Waters keeps getting better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Diaz is a Top 100 prospect. #51 on BA's mid-season list. Waters and Wilson did not make that list. The Braves closest to Diaz in the ranking are Wright at #41 and Gohara at #68.

I'm not surprised to see Machado get this kind of return. We've seem premium rentals like Beltran, Cespedes and Chapman get very strong returns in recent years.

The rental market tends to be all over the place. But the very top guys usually bring back a very good return.

For the guys who aren't at the very top, you can get some bargains. AA should be patient and wait for prices to drop. There are a glut of options in terms of the areas we should be shoring up.

Left side of the infield includes: Moose/Cabrera/Solarte/Beltre/Frazier/Dietrich/Flores

Situational lefty includes: Claudio/Avilan/Loup/Diekman/Duke/Blevins

Some of these guys are not rentals, but will likely be available, which will have the effect of making it even more of a buyer's market.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 07-18-2018 at 08:50 AM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Diaz is a Top 100 prospect. #51 on BA's mid-season list. Waters and Wilson did not make that list. The Braves closest to Diaz in the ranking are Wright at #41 and Gohara at #68.

I'm not surprised to see Machado get this kind of return. We've seem premium rentals like Beltran, Cespedes and Chapman get very strong returns in recent years.

The rental market tends to be all over the place. But the very top guys usually bring back a very good return.

For the guys who aren't at the very top, you can get some bargains. AA should be patient and wait for prices to drop. There are a glut of options in terms of the areas we should be shoring up.

Left side of the infield includes: Moose/Cabrera/Solarte/Beltre/Frazier/Dietrich/Flores

Situational lefty includes: Claudio/Avilan/Loup/Diekman/Duke/Blevins

Some of these guys are not rentals, but will likely be available, which will have the effect of making it even more of a buyer's market.
    I didn't see Diaz on the mid-season list, but he only made 1 pre-season Top 100 list, according to BR anyways. Mays was Top 100 on every pre-season list, topping out at 61, I think.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    The fact remains - that level of return (regardless which names you choose) for ANY single rental player given the Braves' situation at this point would have been beyond stupid, and if Boston and New York are offering anything more than a Cumberland-type for Moose AA needs to change his cell number NOW.