Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bryse Wilson

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    For those constantly babbling about a surplus of pitching in the system...

Wilson will be the 13th different pitcher to make a start for the Braves in 2018, and it wouldn't be at all surprising to see Wright make it 14 before 2018 is over.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-21-2018)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Why should rules make any difference? Stupid front office!!!
    Huh. This would absolutely be stupid if he was called for mop up pen work. This has nothing to do with Touki.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Riley.
    You serious?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Huh. This would absolutely be stupid if he was called for mop up pen work. This has nothing to do with Touki.
    It has everything to do with the fact that Touki can't be called back up yet (and couldn't go if he could since he pitched Saturday). Someone has to start tonight, and he's ineligible. Wright pitched yesterday, Fried pitched Friday, and Gohara isn't stretched out yet.

What other choice was there?
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    No.

Not starting his clock yet - Camargo isn't a black hole, and burning Riley's service time isn't going to win a playoff series.

(I wouldn't be surprised if he's on the roster when they break camp in the spring though.)
    Last edited by clvclv; 08-20-2018 at 04:08 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    You serious?
    Well...

He's the dumbest poster on this board.

Ask him about his attempt to mock me by quoting my draft day comments on Waters now that he has a .064 ISO in A+ ball....

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    It has everything to do with the fact that Touki can't be called back up yet (and couldn't go if he could since he pitched Saturday). Someone has to start tonight, and he's ineligible. Wright pitched yesterday, Fried pitched Friday, and Gohara isn't stretched out yet.

What other choice was there?
    Right. Which no one has really called stupid now that we know he is starting and is giving extra rest through this long stretch the Braves have. So why mockingly say stupid FO.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    expecting a yuge game from Swanson
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    My guess on Wilson's line: 6 IP, 6 hits, 2 BBs, 7 Ks, 2 runs... Everyone freaks out at every single walk and hit but at the end everyone says what a solid start it was for him.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    I am really curious to see how his stuff holds up after 60+ pitches. I changed my opinion on him this year after he just kept kicking ass. But previously always viewed him as a dominant reliever.
    Coppy

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I’m shocked. Very young. Before Wright. 4 game losing streak.

Scouts, including kiley, question the secondary stuff.

Ideas or thoughts
    1. Is aa trying to see who to keep and/or if he needs to buy a starting arm next year?

2. Is aa thinking like enscheff that pitchers stuff declines fast so bring them up ASAP?

3. Wilson for RF surely means there is a bat coming in tomorrow from....somewhere?

4. Do we have analytics to show that guys are much better with another day of rest? Seems like newk and Tehran are off my faulty memory.

5. Touki then Wilson then fried through the line up once then pen might be a much better playoff pitcher than most of our starters. If those three could get you through 7 it might be nasty for the other team.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    I watched one of his AA games, and his stuff doesn't look that good. He does have an above average fastball, and he threw inside a lot...not sure if that's what he'll do in the bigs, but definitely thew inside a lot in AA...lots of fastballs. Don't remember seeing anything that good in his off speed stuff.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I’m shocked. Very young. Before Wright. 4 game losing streak.

Scouts, including kiley, question the secondary stuff.

Ideas or thoughts
    1. Is aa trying to see who to keep and/or if he needs to buy a starting arm next year?

2. Is aa thinking like enscheff that pitchers stuff declines fast so bring them up ASAP?

3. Wilson for RF surely means there is a bat coming in tomorrow from....somewhere?

4. Do we have analytics to show that guys are much better with another day of rest? Seems like newk and Tehran are off my faulty memory.

5. Touki then Wilson then fried through the line up once then pen might be a much better playoff pitcher than most of our starters. If those three could get you through 7 it might be nasty for the other team.
    1. I think AA uses his AAA pitchers as a direct extension of the 25 man MLB roster. They wanted to push the MLB guys back a day, and Wilson was lined up to start.

2. Everyone knows that pitchers come out of the gate about as good as they are going to be (for the most part). Use them while they are healthy.

3. That 40 man slot has been open for a while...surely a deal for a bat hasn't been pending this long. Bell could have been dropped at any time after the bat was acquired...why now?

4. The Dodgers were huge proponents of extra rest for pitchers. AA undoubtedly learned this from them while he worked in LA. I wonder if the Braves monitor statcast data on side sessions to make these extra rest decisions.

5. The Braves seem like a team uniquely situated for a creative and potent deployment of pitchers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post

Baseball reference gives some data based on days rest. One of them is OPS against.

For Newcomb it is .812 on 4 days rest, .537 on 5 days and .822 on 6 or more

For Teheran it is .800, .632, .729

For Folty it is .597, .623, .733

For Sanchez it is .597, .664, .805

For Gausman it is .761, .718, .829

imo we need to ride Folty hard the rest of the way

"I am your retribution."

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Baseball reference gives some data based on days rest. One of them is OPS against.

For Newcomb it is .812 on 4 days rest, .537 on 5 days and .822 on 6 or more

For Teheran it is .800, .632, .729

For Folty it is .597, .623, .733

For Sanchez it is .597, .664, .805

For Gausman it is .761, .718, .829

imo we need to ride Folty hard the rest of the way
    Would love tha sample size. Has to be small on each end
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Would love tha sample size. Has to be small on each end
    For Gausman there have been 256 PAs against him when pitching on 4 days rest, 236 on 5 days and 118 on 6 or more.

I think there is enough data to support the view that Folty should be pitching every 5th day. He is our best pitcher. And he does not seem to benefit from extra rest. I would ride him hard the rest of the way in.

"I am your retribution."

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    For Gausman there have been 256 PAs against him when pitching on 4 days rest, 236 on 5 days and 118 on 6 or more.

I think there is enough data to support the view that Folty should be pitching every 5th day. He is our best pitcher. And he does not seem to benefit from extra rest. I would ride him hard the rest of the way in.
    I gotta agree.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Have to think someone like Rio Ruiz or Danny Santana will be brought up to take RF's spot..I think Ruiz is the better option

**if no one is brought in from outside the organization that we don't know about yet
    Get off my lawn!

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    Anyway, Bryse has a very big arm but is still developing his secondaries. If he can keep the ball out of mistake's way he's going to have a very good debut like most have had but the decider for him past then will be the changeup. If he doesn't develop it more, he's a #3-4 but could be a big time bullpen arm, but if he can, he can be more.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orphan Black View Post
    I watched one of his AA games, and his stuff doesn't look that good. He does have an above average fastball, and he threw inside a lot...not sure if that's what he'll do in the bigs, but definitely thew inside a lot in AA...lots of fastballs. Don't remember seeing anything that good in his off speed stuff.
    Not all true but fastball heavy yes. Depending on when you saw him he has enough to keep a hitter honest.