Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Post ASG Predictions Anyone?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    It's not like Charlie has to do much on offense to provide more than Swanson has, esp. down the stretch in Sept. Plus as AA said, Culberson's calling card is his defense at short. If he plays there regularly he should do very good. He can even play deeper than Swanson due to his strong arm (which we saw on the mound). I really don't believe Swanson is so much better defensively, he is just having a career year and Culberson has played most games everywhere but his best and natural position. Culberson was great for the Dodgers on defense and offense last playoffs.
    Maybe. Personally I think Dansby is very good defensively at SS and better than culberson. Culberson has played in 305 career games, and he's -7.3 def value according to fangraphs. Charlie has been a positive defender 1 time in his career... last season for the dodgers (15 games played)
    Last edited by msstate7; 09-26-2018 at 07:00 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USMA76 View Post
    Funny that I thought about this thread as we were clinching last Saturday and was wondering if anyone would dredge it up. This is one of those cases where I'm elated to have been wrong by underestimating the Braves second half potential. I was equally wrong in overestimating what the Phillies and gNats would do post ASG. I now just hope the Braves can continue to build on what they've started this year and stay healthy.
    I knew the Phillies defense might be their downfall, but when it wasn't the first half I got concerned that somehow they might continue to overcome it. Not so the second half, boy it killed them at many key times the second half as if every break they got the first half was being corrected. Plus players they added like Cabrera hurt just as much on defense to make them worse as what he provided on offense. He was terrible when playing short for example, -5 DRS or worse in a small sample.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Maybe. Personally I think Dansby is very good defensively at SS and better than culberson
    I didn't say Swanson isn't very good defensively, they both are but neither is a game changer like Simmons. They are both about the best after the Simmons of the world though. The Braves beat writers are idiots though that think Culberson is weaker at short based on snit in the past going with Camargo at short and Culberson at third. I know AA would disagree with that as he has stated he kept Culberson for his defense not his offense and was talking about how good he is at short (and his ability to play other positions well enough too).