Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Brantley the new Braves outfielder?

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts

Is Brantley the new Braves outfielder?

Stronger than usual rumors out of Cleveland indicate free agent outfield Michael Brantley, who was not offered arbitration by the Tribe, is close to signing a three-year deal with the Braves. A three-time all-star, he missed most of the 2016 season after a late 2015 mishap where a dive tore up his right shoulder so badly it required two major surgeries.

He appaerntly has recovered enough to be passable in the outfield, but would be put in left, necessitating Acuna's move to right. He's only 31, walks as much as he strikes out, and hits nothing but line drives.

Thoughts?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (11-08-2018), jpx7 (11-08-2018)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    Stronger than usual rumors out of Cleveland indicate free agent outfield Michael Brantley, who was not offered arbitration by the Tribe, is close to signing a three-year deal with the Braves. A three-time all-star, he missed most of the 2016 season after a late 2015 mishap where a dive tore up his right shoulder so badly it required two major surgeries.

He appaerntly has recovered enough to be passable in the outfield, but would be put in left, necessitating Acuna's move to right. He's only 31, walks as much as he strikes out, and hits nothing but line drives.

Thoughts?
    Of course like everyone I'd like someone a little sexier, but I keep coming back to Brantley as the most logical. Also, a great clubhouse guy and with the current team chemistry I do think that will play a part as well as the talent and value.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    This rumor has been out for a while now with little new information... that being said, I've warmed on him quite a bit. I hate shoulder issues, but it seems as if he's recovered well and had a very strong offensive season... stronger than I realized.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-08-2018)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    Honestly, I was hoping for more. Brantley is basically Nick Markakis. I was hoping for more pop out of that position.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Nerfherders For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-08-2018)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

Thoughts?
    Where was this anyway?
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerfherders View Post
    Honestly, I was hoping for more. Brantley is basically Nick Markakis. I was hoping for more pop out of that position.
    Brantley is much more dynamic than Markakis.... Brantley on average healthy is basically like Markakis' best years. And there will be more, its one piece and I personally think its a good pick.

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Source?

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Where was this anyway?
    The rumor that has former #Indians OF Michael Brantley going to the #Braves with a three year contract certainly makes sense. Losing Brantley has increased the pressure for Cleveland to shore up a weak hitting outfield. Do they trade a pitcher to get it done?

From twitter.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    If Brantley was our only move, yes, but if you add Brantley with JTR, and add a pen arm or two with a bench bat.

The team is alot improved from last year.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    Isn't that old random Bernie guy the only place this supposed rumor is coming from? I haven't seen anything remotely credible suggesting this.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    The rumor that has former #Indians OF Michael Brantley going to the #Braves with a three year contract certainly makes sense. Losing Brantley has increased the pressure for Cleveland to shore up a weak hitting outfield. Do they trade a pitcher to get it done?

From twitter.
    Not sure you can take "is close to signing a three year deal with the Braves" from that tweet.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Not sure you can take "is close to signing a three year deal with the Braves" from that tweet.
    I dont, and free agents usually dont sign this early into the winter. Maybe a bench bat will sign, but once the QO's are declined/accepted, maybe by the end of the month some guys will sign.

And some trades will happen as well but i dont see any big names signing anytime soon.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    It would not surprise me at all: http://www.chopcountry.com/forums/sh...light=brantley

"I keep coming back around to Michael Brantley as an option for LF. Before being sidelined by a major ankle injury, Brantley was a consistent high average, moderate power corner OFer...much like Markakis was when the Braves signed him. Since coming back from the ankle injury, he has continued to be the same high average, moderate power corner OFer he was prior to the injury. Nothing about his 2018 peripherals (.308 BABIP, 12.0% HR/FB) suggests significant sustainability issues with his current .308/.355/.493 line.

Brantley is a lot like Markakis at the time the Braves signed him (recent surgery, above average player, early 30s, good average, moderate power, below average defense, should not have a QO attached), and I expect he will cost something similar to the 2019 equivalent of the 4/44 deal Markakis got from the Braves. The difference now is that the Braves are in a position where acquiring such a player makes sense, whereas it probably didn't back when they signed Markakis. "

If the Braves can get him on a 3 year deal rather than the 4 year deal I predicted 3 months ago, I give the signing two thumbs up.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    He’s more like the Markakis signed four years ago—but with a better bat and worse injury concerns.

Edit: I see Enscheff already reiterated this point.
    Last edited by jpx7; 11-08-2018 at 01:41 PM.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,709 Posts
    Brantley would be a great move. Excellent hitter vs RH pitching and ideally Duvall could be make an effective platoon partner. Brantley also fits well at the top of the batting order so we can move Acuna down. Even vs his weakness, left hand pitching, he has maintained a .320 OBP vs them so he isnt an automatic out when he does face them. We could also use Riley at 3B and LF to cover for platoon splits. Brantley is the hitter Markakis was in the first half but with a platoon split. Only a 3 year deal makes it a great deal. If go on to trade for Realmuto and sign a closer I will be okay with this offseason. I really dont want to trade all our pitching prospects. One trade is enough. If we have to lets get an elite player at the trade deadline.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Where was this anyway?
    It was attributed on MLBTR to "an old major league scout" with a podcast named Bernie Pleskoff. His info usually tracks pretty well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    I dont, and free agents usually dont sign this early into the winter. Maybe a bench bat will sign, but once the QO's are declined/accepted, maybe by the end of the month some guys will sign.

And some trades will happen as well but i dont see any big names signing anytime soon.
    That's not the only tweet. Cleveland beat writers verified the info.

Spring Training Invitee TheRunningAgent's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    If Brantley was our only move, yes, but if you add Brantley with JTR, and add a pen arm or two with a bench bat.

The team is alot improved from last year.
    That’s the key. If he is a piece, then I’m ok with it. He is listed as the second best free agent outfielder in some publications.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    That's not the only tweet. Cleveland beat writers verified the info.
    Can you post those tweets from Cleveland beat writers?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    It was attributed on MLBTR to "an old major league scout" with a podcast named Bernie Pleskoff. His info usually tracks pretty well.
    Saw the Pleskoff tweet...just never saw anyone mention something was "close".