Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    An alternative

Donaldson 23M
    McCann 2M
    Anibal 5M
    Muk 9M
    Robertson 10M AAV for 2 years

49M total

Also involves no long term commitments, no loss of picks, and no loss of prospects.
    If that is the entirety of our offseason then YUCK. Completely underwhelming. I'm still a believer in AA and that a trade to fill either C or cOF will happen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    An alternative

Donaldson 23M
    McCann 2M
    Anibal 5M
    Muk 9M

49M total

Also involves no long term commitments, no loss of picks, and no loss of prospects.

At this point, it's looking like that's about as good as AA can do without spending a lot of prospect capital. Ought to be good for 3rd or 4th in the division, which could still be a good team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,698 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    At this point, it's looking like that's about as good as AA can do without spending a lot of prospect capital. Ought to be good for 3rd or 4th in the division, which could still be a good team.
    3rd or 4th? I doubt that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    You and all the other people out there that put 2 and 2 together

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    An alternative

Donaldson 23M
    McCann 2M
    Anibal 5M
    Muk 9M

49M total

For the record, I think there is zero need to sign Anibal and I personally don't see the point of spending 10m on a reliever. I find that 15m to be suboptimal as the kids say.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tululush View Post
    If that is the entirety of our offseason then YUCK. Completely underwhelming. I'm still a believer in AA and that a trade to fill either C or cOF will happen.
    I was just proposing an alternative that also involved no long term deals, no loss of picks and no loss of prospects.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,895 Posts
    An alternative

Donaldson 23M
    McCann 2M
    Anibal 5M
    Muk 9M

49M total

Think you may have gotten Muk and Anibal $ swapped.
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    It doesn't appear the Marlins suitors have decreased significantly for Realmuto. and into the conversation comes the biggest prospect rumored yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    If JD is healthy no matter what the team is significantly better than last year. Sorry I don't see much that scared me the other east teams have done. We are easily still the favorite

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    I think the gnats are clear favorites for the NL East. After that I think we and the mets are pretty close. fillies are a ways back. And marlins not a factor.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    For the record, I think there is zero need to sign Anibal and I personally don't see the point of spending 10m on a reliever. I find that 15m to be suboptimal as the kids say.
    Well I was just looking at the money spent in your post for Ramos and Brantley. I'm not so sure that is optimal or even superior to the the alternative I sketched out. I realize you were not claiming it was. But it is interesting to conduct an exercise to see what is the best plan subject to no long term deals, no loss of picks and no loss of prospects.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,698 Posts
    It doesn't appear the Marlins suitors have decreased significantly for Realmuto. and into the conversation comes the biggest prospect rumored yet.
    I doubt the Astros do that; but if they do, I want no part of a package that level

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Could the Braves and Astros be lining up for a Tucker for pitching swap? Or is Tucker going to the Indians for Bauer/Kluber?
    Brantley signing for so cheap makes me think OF will be filled with a big trade.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    I'm a little perplexed by the Brantley deal. That deal or a little more seems a perfect fit for us. I'm still holding out hope that AA has a trick up his sleeve and is not putting the entire offseason's hopes in Donaldson's hands.

My worry is that he's going to hold on to all of the prospects and naturally some will flame out and we'll have lost their value.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Another potentially interesting name that hasn't been kicked around much (if at all) is Eric Thames. Fits as a lefty bat with pop, could platoon with Camargo in LF, and comes with no long-term commitment ($6 million this year, $7.5 million team option in 2020). Might not cost an arm and a leg since they have Santana and Broxton there and ready, and Ray getting close.

Not sure Julio would be enough to get him, but how nice would that be? AA could then focus on Gray (assuming he's still sniffing around there) without HAVING to have Frazier as part of the discussions. IF you could get him for Julio it saves ~ $5 million...

Work out the deal for Gray by himself ($4 million added when you apply the savings)

Release Duvall and sign Gonzalez (~ $7 million added)

Acuna, Donaldson, Freeman, Thames, Flowers, Albies, Ender, Dansby

Mac, Camargo, Gonzalez, Culberson

Folty, Gray, Newk, Gausman, Touki

Use the rest of the money to add Soria or Miller to the pen. Even if Julio isn't enough to get him, you'd still think they wouldn't mind clearing Thames' salary to use to chase another Pitcher.
    Last edited by clvclv; 12-18-2018 at 11:42 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Well I was just looking at the money spent in your post for Ramos and Brantley. I'm not so sure that is optimal or even superior to the the alternative I sketched out. I realize you were not claiming it was. But it is interesting to conduct an exercise to see what is the best plan subject to no long term deals, no loss of picks and no loss of prospects.

You're right, I wasn't saying my plan was the optimal but I did kind of like it. I was just pleased to see that it was not that far-fetched.

I would be willing to let the pitching essentially ride. You have internal options that you could still want to see and trade for front end rotation help seems like the more likely way of improving. Not optimal to pay for receivers so I'd be looking at reclamation projects and one year vets. But at a slightly higher price point than last year, where they were really just taking fliers.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Another potentially interesting name that hasn't been kicked around much (if at all) is Eric Thames. Fits as a lefty bat with pop, could platoon with Camargo in LF, and comes with no long-term commitment ($6 million this year, $7.5 million team option in 2020). Might not cost an arm and a leg since they have Santana and Broxton there and ready, and Ray getting close.

Not sure Julio would be enough to get him, but how nice would that be? AA could then focus on Gray (assuming he's still sniffing around there) without HAVING to have Frazier as part of the discussions. IF you could get him for Julio it saves ~ $5 million...

Work out the deal for Gray by himself ($4 million added when you apply the savings)

Release Duvall and sign Gonzalez (~ $7 million added)

Acuna, Donaldson, Freeman, Thames, Flowers, Albies, Ender, Dansby

Mac, Camargo, Gonzalez, Culberson

Folty, Gray, Newk, Gausman, Touki

Use the rest of the money to add Soria or Miller to the pen. Even if Julio isn't enough to get him, you'd still think they wouldn't mind clearing Thames' salary to use to chase another Pitcher.
    I don't really see the point of Marwin Gonzalez or Sonny Gray.

I consider them both all right depth moves, but they aren't very good options for filling major holes.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (12-18-2018), JohnAdcox (12-18-2018)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    I don't really see the point of Marwin Gonzalez or Sonny Gray.

I consider them both all right depth moves, but they aren't very good options for filling major holes.
    Gonzalez further upgrades the bench over Duvall. For whatever reason, we're still tied to Gray - I wouldn't argue that he's likely an upgrade over Julio. Not enough of one that I'd give up a lot for, but at this point it looks like any improvements will have to come on the edges. The Indians have likely shuffled enough money at this point that they're not going to HAVE to trade a SP unless they're blown away with the return.

Allows you to keep Riley and Camargo in case you don't re-sign Donaldson next winter,
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    What about Domingo Santana? That guy was the loser in the musical chairs that was the Brewer's regular lineup. He wasn't good last year, but he hardly had a chance to get going. He's relatively young, had a great 2017, and the Brewers still have a glut of outfielders.