Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves extent Ozzie!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Contractually, i'm not sure there's a better value for the next 9 years than Ozzie and Acuna.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    There may not be another duo with as much surplus value as Ozzie currently has.

Acuna and Albies combined blow everyone else out of the water.
    That’s not what he said. He asked if there was another duo you’d rather have, point blank.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-11-2019)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    181 Posts
    It’s hard to understand what the agent was doing with those option years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Seeing the whole team come out to support a guy because the contract he signed was so bad he needs support should also tell you something.
    I agree that there’s a pretty good chance that Albies was taken advantage of, but that’s clearly not what this was about at all. You were probably joking though.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    That fangraphs article was interesting. zips thinks that of all mlb player albies and acuna will be 4th and 5th in remaining career WAR. And we have them for their entire primes at crazy low prices.
    You know what we should do? Extent them again! Right now!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

Jaw (04-11-2019), jpx7 (04-11-2019)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    That’s not what he said. He asked if there was another duo you’d rather have, point blank.
    Given age and stuff like that, I can't think of a duo that I would obviously want more moving forward. If we're talking about just this season, I guess Mike Trout plus Simmons or Ohtani would be preferable. Maybe Betts and JD. Maybe Judge plus Hicks/Gregorious/Stanton. But long term? I'm taking these two every day of the week.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Acuña’s Bat Flip View Post
    This is incredible work by AA. He saved all of his heavy lifting for in-season moves. I’m flabbergasted! Ozzie and Acuña are a package deal never to be separated!
    I think that signing both of them mut have been agreed on as part of the negotiations.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaw For This Useful Post:

mossy (04-11-2019)

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworm View Post
    Why can Atlanta never have a top 10 payroll?Who said it’s not allowed or sustainable?Liberty?
    That’s garbage.
    A good owner can still make plenty of money having the 7th or 8th highest payroll in this market.
    We are a top 10 market.
    I get what your saying and it’s great that we now control the kids on the cheap, but Liberty has brainwashed our fan base into thinking we are San Diego or Oakland poor when we are much closer to Houston or Washington.
    It all depends on what owners you have and how they view the importance of winning.
    Clearly Liberty views us as a way to improve there portfolio and money is the driving force for them where as most owners view a sports team as a hobby and something to brag about with there rich buddies while still making solid money.
    We are all excited about the recent deals we’ve made but let’s wait and see if they put real money into this team this summer at the trade deadline and winter.
    By all accounts they have hit a home run with the signing of Acuna and Albies but what they do from here on out is going to be much more fascinating to me.
    Every indication is that the Braves will not have a top 10 payroll...at least anytime soon. I think even at the rumored 140 million they plan on having in a couple of years doesn't put them in the top 10.

They may get a top 10 payroll once their current TV contract is up, but even then they are being run by a conglomerate that is only concerned about the bottom line. Unless they are sold Liberty will spend the bare minimum on the team. I think this off season and these contracts to Acuna and Albies prove that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    I think the second half slump needs to be factored in when thinking about this deal, as well as the HR/FB ratio. I'm sure the Braves have a better read on Ozzie's value than that 3.8 WAR number does.

A great deal regardless, but who here expects him to put up 4ish WAR regularly?
    Go get him!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    I think the second half slump needs to be factored in when thinking about this deal, as well as the HR/FB ratio. I'm sure the Braves have a better read on Ozzie's value than that 3.8 WAR number does.

i think it’s pretty reasonable considering he did it while being only a little above average offensively at the age of 21. his defense and base running alone will carry a lot of value. and i think he’s pretty likely to get better offensively
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts

that article earlier had him putting up 4 WAR regularly with a couple of 5 WAR seasons. I don't think it's out of the question for him to put to 3.5 to 4 WAR a year for the full length of the contract.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts

Pretty much everyone?

Albies is going to hit and his defense is among the best in baseball.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (04-11-2019)

NL Rookie of the Year CrazyTrain's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    I’ve never felt bad after seeing a contract value before today. If people were worried that Acuna might develop animosity towards the club after his deal was slightly under value, they should be even more so now.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyTrain View Post
    I’ve never felt bad after seeing a contract value before today. If people were worried that Acuna might develop animosity towards the club after his deal was slightly under value, they should be even more so now.
    Why would Ozzie sign if he thought that in a few years?

Hysterical Girlfriend
    That Storms Out and
    Returns the Next Day
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    I'm elated at what as taken place. Could he have gotten more, i'm sure he could, but what does it matter now? I as a fan will take it and be happy for all involved.

Twitter going nuts, people saying the Braves are predatory, the agent should be fired... I just don't understand. The only people that should logically care should be Ozzie, his agent, and the Braves, right?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy View Post

Twitter going nuts, people saying the Braves are predatory, the agent should be fired... I just don't understand. The only people that should logically care should be Ozzie, his agent, and the Braves, right?
    i guess? but if it was done because the agents wanted it done and told ozzie it was good, then i can see why people would have an issue.

however ozzie has been in the big leagues and i think we’d be selling him short to say he simply doesn’t understand. he’s sharp and probably has a good idea what big leaguers make. the more i think about it the more i don’t think he was “taken advantage of.”
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Arbitration Eligible Freshmaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    521 Posts
    So glad this got done. Having A&A in the lineup for years to come is amazing, and it's going to be a blast watching them. I think there were a number of factors at work here as to why this got done:

• Security
    • Wanting to play together
    • Changing baseball market that shows some FAs not getting what they expected (tho A&A are well above those folks, talent-wise)
    • Crappy agents

Albies came right out and said he wants to be a Brave for life, and that he wasn't in this for the money. The key now is for LM to invest in the team and make sure they use at least some of the savings and keep surrounding these guys with talent

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Pretty much everyone?

Albies is going to hit and his defense is among the best in baseball.
    Probably. But he sure didn't for the last half of last year.

I love the deal. I think he'll be a really good player for most or all of it. But I remember how frustrated a lot of people around here were the last half of the season too.
    Go get him!

Arbitration Eligible Freshmaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    521 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orphan Black View Post
    Every indication is that the Braves will not have a top 10 payroll...at least anytime soon. I think even at the rumored 140 million they plan on having in a couple of years doesn't put them in the top 10.

They may get a top 10 payroll once their current TV contract is up, but even then they are being run by a conglomerate that is only concerned about the bottom line. Unless they are sold Liberty will spend the bare minimum on the team. I think this off season and these contracts to Acuna and Albies prove that.
    Correct. They have been a top-10 revenue team each of the past two seasons, but ownership has, either by choice or necessity, decided to pay down debt and invest in the Battery and the new spring training complex

NL Rookie of the Year CrazyTrain's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Why would Ozzie sign if he thought that in a few years?
    Have you read all of the “this is the worst deal of all time” hyperbole pieces? Those didn’t exist before he signed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    i think it’s pretty reasonable considering he did it while being only a little above average offensively at the age of 21. his defense and base running alone will carry a lot of value. and i think he’s pretty likely to get better offensively
    Yeah I didn't say that as well as I should have. I agree it's reasonable. What I should have asked is, 'Who is willing to bet the Acuna years on Ozzie being a 4 WAR player?' That's what a contract for double the value of the one he signed, which has been advocated for in this thread, would have been doing. I like him a lot, I just don't see him as the same 4 WAR lock that I see Acuna being.
    Go get him!